River Cruise port tour reviews

L Hart

2 hours ago, L Hart said:

I can't find where to go to see reviews of port tours on the Danube River. Can someone send me step by step to find that? Thanks

Hello @L Hart and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards!

Thank you for your first new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. However, it is off topic there since that forum is for questions and answers relating to technical assistance regarding the Cruise Critic message board software

To help you out, your thread has been moved to the River Cruise Ports forum where it will be on topic. This is where your fellow Cruise Critic members discuss river cruise ports. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have been there frequent the forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list of the various forums. I suggest you put the link to the page in your bowser's Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there. 

Please remember the following portion from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information, they will post replies to you.

Also, it is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic such as one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, sail date or port in your inquiry message if that sort of information will help your fellow Cruise Critic members answer you.

So sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope this will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

I went to  down to where it has ports listed and clicked on the reviews and this is what it keeps saying for each port. We're sorry no itineraries matched your search. Please update your search criteria and try again.

I'm trying to hear what other people say are good tours and what ones to pass on in each port. I'm on Viking Romantic Danube but no where can I find anywhere on reviews of tours that you can pick from and what others are saying about each tour.

Sorry not good at technology

24 minutes ago, L Hart said:

I went to  down to where it has ports listed and clicked on the reviews and this is what it keeps saying for each port. We're sorry no itineraries matched your search. Please update your search criteria and try again.

I'm trying to hear what other people say are good tours and what ones to pass on in each port. I'm on Viking Romantic Danube but no where can I find anywhere on reviews of tours that you can pick from and what others are saying about each tour.

Sorry not good at technology

@L Hart

Perhaps Viking Danube River Cruise Reviews section has the information you seek.

This is the River Cruise Ports forum where river cruise tours are discussed by Cruise Critic members. Usually, someone asks about a particular tour or port by starting a new thread. Then those that have taken the tour or been to the port post their comments in the thread. The Ports of Call forums are for ocean cruise ports.

Hope this helps!

Host Kat

12 hours ago, L Hart said:

I'm on Viking Romantic Danube

Excursions offered are not necessarily the same in both directions, so it's important that you say which direction you are travelling.

Included excursions are generally walking or coach & walking tours of the city/towns you moor in. They are good for giving a feel for the area and there's usually some free time at the end for you to look around/buy a drink/snack/souvenir before the guide returns you to the boat.

In Vienna an optional (i.e. extra cost) excursion is the evening Strauss and Mozart concert. I have been twice and enjoyed it greatly. However it's only offered on the Budapest to Regensburg sailing.

I'd suggest looking at the excursions offered in on your sailing and choose the ones you are interested in, then search this forum - using the white box at top right - for the main part of the name of the excursion or the city in which its in.

I searched just now for 'strauss' and I found this thread that should interest you - @CCJack has replied in detail about excursions on Romantic Danube cruise

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2967180-danube-waltz-recommended-excursions/

Wow this was exactly what I was looking for. Huge thanks

Any tips or other forums let me know...I will explore more as well.

Here is our itinerary and what we are signed up for. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated

Regensburg - embark 

Regensburg - included walking tour

Passau - included walking tour - I would like to hike the hill by myself. Can I do that by myself without getting lost? Is it just one way up and down?

Krems - included Göttweig Abbey It is a 3 hour tour is that too much? I like to move around and see as much as possible in the short time I am there

They offer the Mozart and Strauss concert this night. I have done this before and loved it.

Vienna (note I have been here 3 times but my husband has not) - included Vienna highlight tour. I've never been to Schönbrunn Palace just don't know if this is too much in one day. We also have the Heurigen dinner and toast this year’s wine at a local vineyard. Should we do this or is it hokey?

Vienna - Viennese waltz and visit Mozart’s Vienna apartment I want to do this but can't talk my husband into it. Has anyone done this?

Budapest - included walking tour. I have never been and super excited to go to Budapest.

We are staying 2 extra nights at the Clark Hotel. Tripadvisor highly recommended. We can't get in the Baths for health reasons. Would it be worth going to see any of them even if we don't get in?

We are very active 60-year-olds and don't like long history tours. Give us the highlights and let us keep walking.

We absolutely love river cruises and have chartered many barges. Love the small-town small tour feel.

Never been on Viking.

On 6/19/2024 at 8:28 PM, L Hart said:

Never been on Viking.

I hope you'll enjoy the experience.

I've cruised with Viking and Scenic. I think the Viking boats are very well designed .One can sit at the bow with nothing between you and the water but a waist high glass screen.

image.thumb.jpeg.6a10b6ba6f87b277c457a24960e865b7.jpeg

In warm weather we enjoy eating there. Lunchtimes they have a barbecue going there. 

I like the bathrooms that have nightlights, heated mirrors that don't steam up, and underfloor heating. And toiletries that aren't screwed to the wall

The boat seems so uncluttered and light, with a glass roof over the stairwell/reception area.

There are two self serve drinks stations so I've not found a long wait and if ne machine is being serviced, the other is working.

I think Viking over delivers on it's promises.

• Like 3

We were on the Danube with Gate 1 last year--here are some thoughts:

Passau:  You can do Passau on your own.  We started with our guide, but decided to take off on our own and got around with no problem.

Budapest  Baths:  We went to the baths and had a good time.  But, it was a bit pricey--and in the end, you just went into water of various temps, so I would not pay to get in if you are not going in the water.  We went to the Gellert baths--and my best recollection is that you could look around the main entrance hall area and see through some windows into the baths without paying.  I probably wouldn't walk there just to see that--but it is just over the bridge from the Central Market, so if you are in the area, why not?

Vienna:  We did not take the Schönbrunn Palace tour--but the folks on our boat who did liked it.  Our reason was that we had the included Vienna tour in the morning and the concert that evening (I agree with you--excellent), and we thought we would get "toured out" with three excursion in one day.  We spent the afternoon poking around Vienna on our own.  We figured we have seen palaces other places, so made our decision.  

Krems:  Our boat went to Melk, not Krems, so take this for what it's worth.  Our three hour trip included the bus each way, etc...  The tour was boring, so once again, we ditched and walked around on our own.  This was interesting and enjoyable--we were glad we went even though we ditched the tour.

Regensburg:  Our included walking tour was excellent--a really interesting town.  Make sure you have a few euros in cash for the little hot dogs at the end of the tour!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regensburg_Sausage_Kitchen

My recollection of the Gellert baths is was correct.  I have attached a picture of the main hall and of the pool taken through a window on the main hall.  

20230527_135817.jpg

20230527_121825.jpg

On 6/24/2024 at 9:16 AM, L Hart said:

Thanks everyone!

Try searching on YouTube for info as well. Search things like "Viking Danube" or the name of the port you are stopping in. You may find helpful things there.