Live - NCL Prima - 06/23-07/04/2024 - Southampton, Belgium, Amsterdam, Norway and Iceland - Is it more beautiful than Alaska?

On 7/3/2024 at 7:05 PM, Seas2mountains said:

When my husband told guest services about the “joke” it was considered to be so bad they wanted to contact security.  He said no, it needs to be handled within the cruise director staff for their inappropriate response. We know English is their second language and know they are trying so hard.  Maybe they didn’t understand how bad this “joke” was? 

I just want to say thank you. More folks need to step up (myself included) when they hear something inappropriate. I'm also grateful you gave the cruise staff some grace as English isn't their second language. 

So, thanks for educating some folks on what is, and shouldn't, be appropriate in 2024. I hope this didn't leave too much of a mark on your cruise. And I considered not mentioning it, so you could forget, but I just had to say, thank you.

In more favorable news, I don't typically like modern statues, but I found this to be remarkable, so also, thanks for sharing this!!

I'm glad art is in the eye of the beholder as my interpretation is that of a reindeer family. Not a Sun Voyageur! 

On 7/4/2024 at 2:53 AM, Seas2mountains said:

Next, we walked down the street to the Sólfar (Sun Voyager) sculpture. 

When we got to the sculpture, there was a woman standing within the sculpture taking selfies.  There were probably about 20 of us waiting for her to move so we could take photos of the sculpture. She didn’t budge for awhile and finally a man gestured to her that she needed to move and pointed to all of us waiting to take photos.  But she still didn’t move so someone offered to take a photo of her and the sculpture which finally got her to move.

We were laughing so hard as we couldn’t believe how long she stood in place taking multiple selfies and possibly a video while we all waited. 🤣  I should have taken a photo of her and the waiting crowd but missed my chance. 

IMG_3586.jpeg

• Like 5

image.jpeg.9dc20cbe35db398ead5065e49cde8ce9.jpeg

18 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm glad art is in the eye of the beholder as my interpretation is that of a reindeer family. Not a Sun Voyageur! 

Definitely a Reindeer Family.  I can see this bumper sticker on the back of Santa’s sleigh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 6/19/2024 at 8:09 PM, Seas2mountains said:

My husband tries to help me with my bag since he is a wonderful husband but I try to be Army tough by handling it myself and don’t want him to deal with the consequences of my over packing issues. 

I always had the same rule - I pack it, I carry it - but my husband packs so ridiculously light, I was chided for making him look like an A*****e, making me sherpa our stuff! Now I just make him pack our shared equipment (binocs, sunscreen, etc) to try to balance things better!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I just want to say thank you. More folks need to step up (myself included) when they hear something inappropriate. I'm also grateful you gave the cruise staff some grace as English isn't their second language. 

So, thanks for educating some folks on what is, and shouldn't, be appropriate in 2024. I hope this didn't leave too much of a mark on your cruise. And I considered not mentioning it, so you could forget, but I just had to say, thank you.

In more favorable news, I don't typically like modern statues, but I found this to be remarkable, so also, thanks for sharing this!!

Thank you for saying that. The next day we were a little bummed that our great time listening to Essence Duo was impacted by this situation. We still don't regret saying something and it took more time and frustration as it would have been easier to walk away and say nothing. But then it might have happened again and again before getting stopped. I do think they may not have clearly understood the joke due to language challenges. If they did, I don't think they would ask if it was a good joke and if the person should get an extra point for their joke. But may not since they were defensive about it.

We will be sure to highlight in the cruise survey that we thought the events we attended that were lead by the cruise staff were well done. When we were disembarking at 6am, cruise director staff were up directing passengers on deck 6 to the exits. We do not need to mention this incident in the cruise survey as it was resolved in our minds and handled well once guest services were told about it. 

Some think the Sun Voyageur is a Viking ship but it is supposedly "a dream boat and ode to the sun:" and was intended to honor the city's 200th anniversary . The artist, Jon Gunnar submitted the winning design of a competition to honor the anniversary. He was sick with leukemia so some say he was preoccupied with his death when creating this design. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

On July 3rd, we grabbed the rental car from Enterprise at BSI Station. We then did the Golden Circle itinerary that I designed based on our interests. 

First we did the Geothermal Power Plant,  then Bruarfoss falls, then the Geothermal Bakery demonstration and tasting at Laugarvatn Fontana. After that, we hit Gullfoss, Bru Horse Farm and Geysir.  We ate reindeer burgers at Hotel Geysir restaurant. A brief meander through Thingvellir and we were parked in a spot by the port at 5pm. 

Final dinner at Indulge.

On Friday July 4th, we checked out Grotto lighthouse and a beach, then headed to our Sky Lagoon appointment at 9 am.

We headed back to downtown Reykjavik, parked in a P3 spot and did all the tourist things: walked all the streets, lined up for pylsur, rainbow road to the church and a great lunch at Cafe Loki.

Then we headed to the Aurora hotel at KEF.  We dropped off the rental car, walked back to the hotel and slept.

It was a short walk from the hotel to KEF. We made it through the S show of airport security and our flight took off on time.

It was a great vacation, with a 95 percent match to my planned itinerary. 

Thank you! That info is really helpful as we want to do a Golden Circle tour on our own. That is also good to know you can walk from the Aurora hotel to KEF. We did see there were several hotels close to the airport.  Reykjavik downtown area was more touristy than I expected.

And oh yes, that is how I would describe security, too.  Both my personal items got flagged. I had a iPad and Surface laptop that I pulled out of my backpack and put in a separate bin as instructed but the woman in security said the sides could not be touching when going through the Xray machine so it had to go through a second time. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TQuila said:

I always had the same rule - I pack it, I carry it - but my husband packs so ridiculously light, I was chided for making him look like an A*****e, making me sherpa our stuff! Now I just make him pack our shared equipment (binocs, sunscreen, etc) to try to balance things better!

Yes, my husband wants to be the one to lift it off the airport luggage conveyer belts when everyone is looking but I try to handle it in most cases even thought he insists he should help when there is no audience. 
Great idea! But he tends to carry our shared items already since he usually has more space remaining. We are getting better at packing than we were about 20 cruises ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seas2mountains said:

Yes, my husband wants to be the one to lift it off the airport luggage conveyer belts when everyone is looking but I try to handle it in most cases even thought he insists he should help when there is no audience. 
Great idea! But he tends to carry our shared items already since he usually has more space remaining. We are getting better at packing than we were about 20 cruises ago.

We try to put some of each of our clothes in each suitcase in case one gets lost. (We once had 1 lost, delayed a day, in Amsterdam from Paris on a land trip.) I get to schlep the larger one. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

On July 3rd, we grabbed the rental car from Enterprise at BSI Station. We then did the Golden Circle itinerary that I designed based on our interests. 

First we did the Geothermal Power Plant,  then Bruarfoss falls, then the Geothermal Bakery demonstration and tasting at Laugarvatn Fontana. After that, we hit Gullfoss, Bru Horse Farm and Geysir.  We ate reindeer burgers at Hotel Geysir restaurant. A brief meander through Thingvellir and we were parked in a spot by the port at 5pm. 

Final dinner at Indulge.

On Friday July 4th, we checked out Grotto lighthouse and a beach, then headed to our Sky Lagoon appointment at 9 am.

We headed back to downtown Reykjavik, parked in a P3 spot and did all the tourist things: walked all the streets, lined up for pylsur, rainbow road to the church and a great lunch at Cafe Loki.

Then we headed to the Aurora hotel at KEF.  We dropped off the rental car, walked back to the hotel and slept.

It was a short walk from the hotel to KEF. We made it through the S show of airport security and our flight took off on time.

It was a great vacation, with a 95 percent match to my planned itinerary. 

What or where is the BSI station? We are planning to stay 1 extra night in Reykjavik before flying to Copenhagen to start another trip next year. I like the idea of a car rental and that you could even park overnight at the pier. I just googled what a P3 spot was but couldn't find anything referring to BSI station.

Did you do the 7 step ritual at Sky Lagoon, I did it last year and was so much fun? Did you try the rye bread ice cream at Cafe Loki? We did a food tour last year and that was one of our stops.

Hope you had a great trip home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odie1024 said:

What or where is the BSI station? I like the idea of a car rental and that you could even park overnight at the pier. I just googled what a P3 spot was but couldn't find anything referring to BSI station.

Did you do the 7 step ritual at Sky Lagoon, I did it last year and was so much fun? Did you try the rye bread ice cream at Cafe Loki? We did a food tour last year and that was one of our stops.

Hope you had a great trip home.

BSI station is the bus station that Flybus uses. Try the address Vatnsmýrarvegur 10, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland. The Enterprise we rented from allows for one-ways. For us that meant picking up the rental at Enterprise "downtown" and returning it to the KEF aurport location. 

We just did Pure Lite at Sky Lagoon, since I have allergies to most products and my husband doesn't care. 

We did indeed have the rye bread ice cream, after getting the Loki sample plate and 2 little bowls of the lamb soup. I was shocked we were able to get a table, that place is so popular. The rye bread at Laugarvatn Fontana was better, but of course it was freshly baked.

Parking at the port is a bit worrying, since where Samskip told me to park has all these "your vehicle will be towed" signs. We found a spot that had no tow away signs.

SkarfabakkiParkingFromPortAgent.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

We are getting better at packing than we were about 20 cruises ago.

Same - but our last cruise from Buenos Aires to Antarctica was tough, going from about 40F at home to 87F in Buenos Aires to about freezing in Antarctic waters, not to mention the fact that we were gone for almost three full weeks!

BTW, I noticed the Wahoo hat in one of the pics, I assume you're from NEO as well? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We try to put some of each of our clothes in each suitcase in case one gets lost. (We once had 1 lost, delayed a day, in Amsterdam from Paris on a land trip.) I get to schlep the larger one. 

We always say we are going to do that but seem to forget it when it is time for the actual trip. We do have Apple AirTags in each suitcase. 

13 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

BSI station is the bus station that Flybus uses. Try the address Vatnsmýrarvegur 10, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland. The Enterprise we rented from allows for one-ways. For us that meant picking up the rental at Enterprise "downtown" and returning it to the KEF aurport location. 

We just did Pure Lite at Sky Lagoon, since I have allergies to most products and my husband doesn't care. 

We did indeed have the rye bread ice cream, after getting the Loki sample plate and 2 little bowls of the lamb soup. I was shocked we were able to get a table, that place is so popular. The rye bread at Laugarvatn Fontana was better, but of course it was freshly baked.

Parking at the port is a bit worrying, since where Samskip told me to park has all these "your vehicle will be towed" signs. We found a spot that had no tow away signs.

Thank you for sharing these details. We plan to go back to Reykjavík for a cruise from there to NY in the future. This info is really helpful. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TQuila said:

Same - but our last cruise from Buenos Aires to Antarctica was tough, going from about 40F at home to 87F in Buenos Aires to about freezing in Antarctic waters, not to mention the fact that we were gone for almost three full weeks!

BTW, I noticed the Wahoo hat in one of the pics, I assume you're from NEO as well? 🙂

That does sound challenging for packing. That sounds like it would be similar for Honolulu to Alaska cruises. 

My husband is from a mountain state and I’m from the Midwest.  I think I accidentally got someone’s hat in a photo.🙂

Posted (edited)

As mentioned by @Ellis1138, there were several groups of teenage kids and some around the middle school age who were in groups of 3-10 kids. We tended to see them near the elevator and stair banks. 

Other times they were in common areas but the groups we came across seemed bored with nothing to do.  One group of older teens had “spilled” food from the buffet near the elevator on our deck. One of the teens asked the others if they knew how to contact the custodian or janitor to clean up the mess like happens at their school. When we walked up, they were laughing at the food mess. We didn’t say anything but they started to clean it up. It was sad to see as some of it was pasta with a red sauce. When we got to our next floor, my husband asked a housekeeping staff member if there was a way to let someone know so they could send someone to help clean it up. 

Another time, we saw teens were “messing” with the lights on the low ceiling near the elevator banks. If you looked up at them, you could see that several were broken off. They were like the small, clear Christmas lights. Of course, they stopped once we walked up and got on an elevator but you could see the sad damage that was done. They said they intended to touch the light and didn’t think it would break off. 

We did run across some who weren’t causing any issues and were hanging out on the stairs but they were trying to figure out what to do or where to go. We saw some who were picking on the kid who didn’t quite fit in with the group including some play fighting or horseplay. 

With it being a port intensive cruise, we didn’t see the “groups” until late afternoon and in the evening. 

I know this is typical during summer and holiday travel season. Since we travel with our granddaughter who is 9 years old and loves the cruise vacations with us, we are concerned about the transition as she gets older and asks to hang out with the “Teenage Homeless Encampments” as Ellis1138 called it. 🤣 I think that is what I’m going to call them from now on. I used the laughing emoji but some of it isn’t funny I know. 

Edited by Seas2mountains
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I still plan to add photos from Bruges and a summary of what we liked and would do different in each port. 

I have all the dailies as screenshots but don’t have the PDFs as it didn’t work to download on my iPhone for some reason.  Does anyone want to see them? 

As previously requested, I can share the document I put together for our granddaughter when I have time to take out personal stuff. She and our daughter loved it and they said they read it everyday and asked us questions about each port when FaceTiming with them. 

I can also add more photos of Prima that were taken early in the morning on Day 2. 

• Like 6

Here is a summary of what I would do again or do differently in each port for excursions. 

Southampton - I liked skipping London as I felt it would have been too rushed. I had been there two times.

We do recommend Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral, and the Titanic museum and newer harbor area with restaurants in Southampton. My husband liked the aviation museum. 

👉 Next time I want to see Portsmouth as I heard positive things from people on our cruise who went there before the cruise. 

Bruges

Our on our own walking tour was perfect and was the right amount of time. We loved the art and learning about the history in the churches as it was fascinating how much detail was in each art piece. The canal area and city were beautiful. 

👉 I would consider adding the Friet (French fry/Belgium Frites) museum as suggested by @ontheweb

Amsterdam

Van Gogh museum and using public transportation to get there.
Walk back from museum through Amsterdam past canals.

The church in the attic was fascinating. 

👉 Get up early to get Anne Frank house tickets.
👉While the NCL canal excursion was convenient and inexpensive with the $50 FAS and P+ discount at $8/person, there were canal boats with better viewing platforms. 
👉Use the light controlled cross walks only when possible especially by the train station.  We were too close to being hit by a biker. 

Geiranger 

Watching as we pulled into the fjord and the 360 view provided by the captain turning the ship by Seven Sisters waterfall. 
Walking up the waterfall in town toward the Fjord center. 
Cinnamon bun at Dalsnibba Mountain. 
🤷‍♀️The Dalsnibba Mountain and Eagle Road excursion had some beautiful views at times but the stops were too long and waiting for the people on the bus who didn’t care they were late returning to the bus was frustrating. The additional time to view the Seven Sisters waterfall was a waste of time as we had a better view from the ship going in and out of the fjord. 
👉 If doing the Dalsnibba Mountain bus excursion, get it early enough to get a morning time slot. 

Will add more on a part 2. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

I have all the dailies as screenshots but don’t have the PDFs as it didn’t work to download on my iPhone for some reason.  Does anyone want to see them? 

We did notice messes, broken switches and lights and stuff in the elevator waiting areas. I didn't realize the kids were doing that. Seriously, was Entourage that bad? The slides, the sports complex, the go karts? Many were good kids, but there were some who reminded me of The Droogs from A Clockwork Orange.

My NCL app didn't always have the pdfs for the right day, so I'm missing some of the days, but do have others as a pdf. Here are days 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 11.

NCLPrima06232024to070423free-style-dailyDay04.pdf NCLPrima06232024to070423free-style-dailyDay05.pdf NCLPrima06232024to070423free-style-dailyDay07.pdf NCLPrima06232024to070423free-style-dailyDay08.pdf NCLPrima06232024to070423free-style-dailyDay09.pdf NCLPrima06232024to070423free-style-dailyDay11.pdf

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I just decided to search the boards this morning since we are going on the exact same cruise (in reverse) on July 25. I am going to be going through all your posts in more detail when I get home later today.  I am so excited to read everything!   What did you think of the ship?  

Edited by Lpetchen
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seas2mountains said:

Here is a summary of what I would do again or do differently in each port for excursions. 

Southampton - I liked skipping London as I felt it would have been too rushed. I had been there two times.

We do recommend Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral, and the Titanic museum and newer harbor area with restaurants in Southampton. My husband liked the aviation museum. 

👉 Next time I want to see Portsmouth as I heard positive things from people on our cruise who went there before the cruise. 

Bruges

Our on our own walking tour was perfect and was the right amount of time. We loved the art and learning about the history in the churches as it was fascinating how much detail was in each art piece. The canal area and city were beautiful. 

👉 I would consider adding the Friet (French fry/Belgium Frites) museum as suggested by @ontheweb

Amsterdam

Van Gogh museum and using public transportation to get there.
Walk back from museum through Amsterdam past canals.

The church in the attic was fascinating. 

👉 Get up early to get Anne Frank house tickets.
👉While the NCL canal excursion was convenient and inexpensive with the $50 FAS and P+ discount at $8/person, there were canal boats with better viewing platforms. 
👉Use the light controlled cross walks only when possible especially by the train station.  We were too close to being hit by a biker. 

Geiranger 

Watching as we pulled into the fjord and the 360 view provided by the captain turning the ship by Seven Sisters waterfall. 
Walking up the waterfall in town toward the Fjord center. 
Cinnamon bun at Dalsnibba Mountain. 
🤷‍♀️The Dalsnibba Mountain and Eagle Road excursion had some beautiful views at times but the stops were too long and waiting for the people on the bus who didn’t care they were late returning to the bus was frustrating. The additional time to view the Seven Sisters waterfall was a waste of time as we had a better view from the ship going in and out of the fjord. 
👉 If doing the Dalsnibba Mountain bus excursion, get it early enough to get a morning time slot. 

Will add more on a part 2. 

This was a cruise where you could skip the NCL excursions and do stuff on your own. A number of excursions repeated what we saw from the comfort of our balcony. 

• Like 1

The issues with the bored teams is the lack of stuff to do on the ship. It was too cold and windy to do the pools, slides and sports area the second half of the trip. A lot of teens won’t do “forced fun” at the teen club. There’s a lack of indoor seating space. Often the indoor public areas had very loud live music that teens don’t like. Virtual reality costs money and gets boring fast.  We did not see a lot of kids on the sailing. The passengers skewed older. 

• Like 2

For those of you who have mentioned the Anne Frank House, have you ever seen this show? It is beautifully done, though of course heartbreaking as we all know how it will end.

'A Small Light' Review: A Profound Anne Frank Series From Nat Geo (variety.com)

We were able to visit the Anne Frank House way before you needed to buy tickets in advance. (I think it was either 2003 or 2004). It is a truly profound experience.

• Like 1

Bergen

Fish market

Bryggen area with wooden buildings.  - UNESCO world heritage site. 

Bergenhus Fortress and Rosenkrantz tower - so many stairs but it was interesting. 

Mariakirken (St. Mary’s church) It was beautiful. 
👉 We should have gone directly to the Floibanen cable car to miss the long lines that we declined waiting for in the rain. 
Bergen Cathedral - very plain compared to Mariakirken. 

The reindeer hotdog tasted like a regular hotdog. You aren’t missing anything if you don’t have one and like hotdogs. 

Alesund 

The 418 stair climb up to Fjellstua viewpoint on Mount Aksla was fun and challenging. The views at the top were gorgeous. 
Ålesund museum. Very interesting but hard to find as you had to climb stairs behind a building. 
Kvaefjordkake. Yummy. 
Canal through town was beautiful. It’s where the main photo of the ad for the cruise itinerary appears to have been taken. 
👉 I’d consider Atlantic Sea Park aquarium based on reviews but would have to figure out transportation.  
Ålesund church. It was closed and while the exterior was pretty, it wasn’t as historic as the other churches in ports on this itinerary. 

Akureyri 

Forest Lagoon. Clean, organized, relaxing and fun. Great transportation by Forest Lagoon. 
Botanical Gardens. Beautiful and free. Amazing how many flowers are growing in this climate. The is a walk up a steep hill. 
Walk through the town area. More stores than I expected. We only window shopped. 

Isofjordur 

👉 Wish we have booked an excursion to Bird Island. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

Thank you for sharing these details. We plan to go back to Reykjavík for a cruise from there to NY in the future. This info is really helpful. 

16 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

When we docked there in early May (Prima TA) - I'm pretty sure that's the spot that the dock folks had us parked our rental vehicles overnight, free & no charges whatsoever ... Plus, there're plenty of vehicles parked there during our port of call visit.  The area next to the white tent building is for taxis & drop-off only and the middle area designated for tour buses & motorcoaches ... passenger or private vehicles, rental cars, etc. were not allowed in during the day.  

When I was researching about port facilities in Reykjavík, their official website mentioned free parking in the port for those staying overnight ... and that it's plentiful.  Besides, it's in the middle of nowhere aside from being within the large port facilities, warehouses & operations and at least 10 minutes walk uphill to the "main" road by KFC and the nearest gas (petrol) station.  We were glad, knowing everything is ultra expensive in Iceland & rest of northern Europe, to rented a hybrid (Toyota Highlander, 2023 or 2024 model year, really nice & loaded) 

guaranteed by the rental company ... refilling it just before our return, came to about $57 or $58 USD only, not bad & comparable to driving in Canada using a notch over 1/2 tank.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3004014-ncl-prima-eastbound-15-days-ta-live-27-apr-2024-ny-to-southampton-via-halifax-iceland-eu-ports-preview-intro/page/26/#elControls_67342222_menu  (Post # 647 photos)

Watching a series of recent Youtube reporting from Norwegian Prima cruising (same itinerary) ... those planning to visit should check it out, good commentary, including the lack of signage in English although 95% of the resident population in Iceland speak English & are helpful when asked (if you find them walking around ... apparently, just tourists wondering & some lost, puzzled & looking at their Apple and/or Google Map to walk & navigate).   We struggled to use the parking meters downtown and the app wasn't helpful, not even sure if it can switch to English or another non-Icelandic language for the prompts.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LottieET said:

This was a cruise where you could skip the NCL excursions and do stuff on your own. A number of excursions repeated what we saw from the comfort of our balcony. 

For clarification as I may not have explained this well, the only NCL excursions we did were the Dalsnibba Mountain/Eagle Road tour in Geiranger and the Amsterdam canal tour. 

All other excursions mentioned were on our own and were researched and coordinated by me booking in advance or paying the admission fee at the location.  We walked to all locations mentioned except Forest Lagoon, from the cruise port drop off to and from Bruges, and to the Van Gogh museum. 

The views from the cruise ship itself were fabulous. For me, the only ones I think I could see from a balcony would be in Geiranger for the fjord and Seven Sisters waterfall followed by the canal in Amsterdam. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Lpetchen said:

I just decided to search the boards this morning since we are going on the exact same cruise (in reverse) on July 25. I am going to be going through all your posts in more detail when I get home later today.  I am so excited to read everything!   What did you think of the ship?  

We loved the ship. I’ll put together a summary like I did for the ports from our perspective.  We would book future cruises on Prima. 

• Like 2