Lucerne day trip

dairyf

We are going on a Viking Rhine river cruise this October with a two day pre extension in Lucerne. Would really like to do a day trip to either Mt Titlis or Mt Pilatus. Not sure which one to choose. Has anyone done one or both, would appreciate your advice. Thanks

We did Mt. Pilatus and we really enjoyed it. You can board a boat right in town.  They take you for a cruise along the lake.  Then we rode the train up to the top.  You can hike around up there and then take the gondola back down, and bus back to town.

• Like 2

Like @texasstar we did Pilatus with tickets bought at the railway station (lake cruise and cogwheel train up, gondola down).  I don't think I even knew about Titlis at the time, but it's not as convenient to downtown Lucerne and I think it's more of a family place with lots of activities up top.  Even though the clouds were closing in as soon as we got to the top of Pilatus, it was a magical day.  [But I have a thing about the romanticism of clouds/fog and 'little cat feet' thanks to Carl Sandberg...]

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We did Stanserhorn (~6200 ft elev.) while in Lucerne, albeit on a rail/bus tour.  Tour company bussed us to the funicular that begins that ascent, and then we took a boat back to Lucerne.  We broke through  the clouds in the Cabrio gondola (which you can ride on its roof!) and the scene that day was magical.  See photos below--yellow arrow indicates The Eiger, and photo of the gondola was not mine (we couldn't see the valley).  We rode on the roof on the way down--felt very safe, railings are quite high.

Capture.JPG

Cabriobahn.jpg

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1