Things to Do in Geiranger for Less Than 4 Hours

We tried to post this in the port of call section, but didn't get any responses so we thought we post it here.

For those who have been to Norway especially Geiranger., our cruise ship will be in Hellesylt and we plan to take the Geirangerfjord cruise.  We depart Hellesylt at 11:00 AM, but we have 2 return time slots; 1:00 or 4:00 PM that we can choose.  We wanted to take the 4:00 PM time slot.  Our ship doesn't leave until 8:00 PM.  Could someone please let me know what is there to do for 3 to 4 hours in Geiranger where the fjord cruise ends?  Is there much to see in that area?

Greatly appreciate your help

5 hours ago, danny8826 said:

We tried to post this in the port of call section, but didn't get any responses so we thought we post it here.

For those who have been to Norway especially Geiranger., our cruise ship will be in Hellesylt and we plan to take the Geirangerfjord cruise.  We depart Hellesylt at 11:00 AM, but we have 2 return time slots; 1:00 or 4:00 PM that we can choose.  We wanted to take the 4:00 PM time slot.  Our ship doesn't leave until 8:00 PM.  Could someone please let me know what is there to do for 3 to 4 hours in Geiranger where the fjord cruise ends?  Is there much to see in that area?

Greatly appreciate your help

Geiranger is amazing. You should have time to hire a twizy electric vehicle or, if you're mobile and enjoy walking, walk up to Westeras Farm.

Take a look at this live thread over on the Royal Caribbean board. I think the link should take you to the correct page but if it doesn't Geiranger coverage starts at post #660 on page 27. I hope it helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Geiranger is amazing. You should have time to hire a twizy electric vehicle or, if you're mobile and enjoy walking, walk up to Westeras Farm.

Take a look at this live thread over on the Royal Caribbean board. I think the link should take you to the correct page but if it doesn't Geiranger coverage starts at post #660 on page 27. I hope it helps.

Thank you so much.  I will definitely check it out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would definitely recommend getting up to one of the viewpoints, because the view of the fjord is dramatically different seeing it from sea level or from above.

The most budget-friendly option is to hike up to one of the viewpoints. The trail to Vesterås Farm starts just behind the Hotel Union and climbs up the hill to the farm, where an easy farm road leads over to the Vesteråsfjellet overlook (the view linked above). You can find the local hiking map online: https://www.geirangerfjord.no/upload/pdf/turkart.pdf

8 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

I would definitely recommend getting up to one of the viewpoints, because the view of the fjord is dramatically different seeing it from sea level or from above.

The most budget-friendly option is to hike up to one of the viewpoints. The trail to Vesterås Farm starts just behind the Hotel Union and climbs up the hill to the farm, where an easy farm road leads over to the Vesteråsfjellet overlook (the view linked above). You can find the local hiking map online: https://www.geirangerfjord.no/upload/pdf/turkart.pdf

Thank you.  We can do shorter or easy hike but not those strenuous hike as one of us has a bit of a walking condition.  Can walk, but not too much.  

There’s a slightly cheaper shorter bus tour: https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panoramic-bus-geiranger-2

And apparently a Hop-On Hop-Off bus: https://city-sightseeing.com/en/68/geiranger/73/hop-on-hop-off-geiranger

But they’re only slightly cheaper than the longer bus tour. I think it’s unlikely to find any kind of tour or transit option for much less. Geiranger is a small town of 200 people with a short tourism season. Outside the cruise season, nearly all visitors arrive by car. That means high demand and low availability (combined with Norwegian labor costs).

On 6/20/2024 at 2:45 AM, FionaMG said:

On 7/9/2024 at 3:30 PM, kitkat343 said:

A bus to the three scenic points would take 3 hours.  https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panorama-exclusive-bus

8 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

There’s a slightly cheaper shorter bus tour: https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panoramic-bus-geiranger-2

And apparently a Hop-On Hop-Off bus: https://city-sightseeing.com/en/68/geiranger/73/hop-on-hop-off-geiranger

But they’re only slightly cheaper than the longer bus tour. I think it’s unlikely to find any kind of tour or transit option for much less. Geiranger is a small town of 200 people with a short tourism season. Outside the cruise season, nearly all visitors arrive by car. That means high demand and low availability (combined with Norwegian labor costs).

Thank you for all the links and suggestions.

As I was watching YouTube videos, people said seeing from above is very different from seeing while you are on a ferry.  Is it worth doing the sightseeing tour in Geiranger?  Have you done it and what's your thoughts?

6 hours ago, danny8826 said:

As I was watching YouTube videos, people said seeing from above is very different from seeing while you are on a ferry.  Is it worth doing the sightseeing tour in Geiranger?  Have you done it and what's your thoughts?

On a clear day it is spectacular.  We were lucky and had a really clear day.  Even seeing the Norwegian snow clearing equipment would have been worth the tour (we travelled in May so they still needed it).  It is less impressive if the day isn't clear.  We missed the highest viewpoints due to the annual avalanche being late that year, but I've read that view can be blocked by clouds.  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

On a clear day it is spectacular.  We were lucky and had a really clear day.  Even seeing the Norwegian snow clearing equipment would have been worth the tour (we travelled in May so they still needed it).  It is less impressive if the day isn't clear.  We missed the highest viewpoints due to the annual avalanche being late that year, but I've read that view can be blocked by clouds.  

Thank you.  Our cruise is starting in late Sept and by the time we get to Hellesylt to take the ferry to Geiranger will be Oct 1st.  Can't really tell how the weather would be like in October.

13 hours ago, danny8826 said:

I did it and even 3 times. Absolutely worthwhile and if possible do the panoramic exclusive. Maybe they donot offer the mini van anymore but a large size bus, but the trip in itself is worthwhile.

• Thanks 1

I’ve been in Geiranger a few times on overcast days, and the views from the lower viewpoints are still great and very different from sea level (as shown in my links above, which are from one of the lowest vantage points).

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2024 at 12:47 AM, MAVIP said:

I did it and even 3 times. Absolutely worthwhile and if possible do the panoramic exclusive. Maybe they donot offer the mini van anymore but a large size bus, but the trip in itself is worthwhile.

Thank you.  We contact them about the Panorama tours.  They have 2 tours (1.5 hours and 3 hours).  We wanted to do the 1.5 hour one instead of the 3 hours one, but they only have have morning tour and last one is at 11:15 AM.  Our ferry from Hellesylt won't get to Geiranger until 12:05.  We don't think we will do the 3 hour tours because we are a bit worry about not being able to catch our ferry back to Hellesylt to catch our cruise ship even though the cruise ship doesn't leave until 8:00 PM.  The 3 hours tour ends at 3:30 PM and our ferry departs at 4:00 PM.  That just made us very nervous because it's cutting it too close.  

We are looking at booking this one on Viator.  https://www.viator.com/tours/Andalsnes/Geiranger-Shore-Excursions-Geiranger-Highlights/d4314-136071P1

it departs at 1:00 PM which is perfect and give us plenty of time to see the town when we are back from our tour.

On 7/14/2024 at 3:42 AM, kaisatsu said:

I’ve been in Geiranger a few times on overcast days, and the views from the lower viewpoints are still great and very different from sea level (as shown in my links above, which are from one of the lowest vantage points).

I think this tour will take us to that lower viewpoint.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Andalsnes/Geiranger-Shore-Excursions-Geiranger-Highlights/d4314-136071P1

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@danny8826

We were in Geiranger on August 6th, 2024.  We wanted to see these views mentioned, but the bus price seemed high.  We instead rented the small electric car mentioned above and had a wonderful time. (It's called eMobility Geiranger) We booked ahead and did the 2 hour choice.  We first went up to Flydalsjuvet, a view I had been googling and admiring for a year.  It was nice to hit the lower spot where the buses didn't stop and it was less crowded.  We then headed back down and stopped at Westeras farm(also spelled with a V - and that confused us) then went back past town and up to Eagle's nest. This took us the full 2 hours.  It was absolutely spectacular, but we were blessed with incredible weather.  This is a picture I took from that 1st stop.

B4A93F5C-F2CC-4B40-A2A8-905CF7611483_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f49437628c2aa94b38334d6c2c366448.jpeg

Below is the view from Eagle's nest

IMG_4994.thumb.jpeg.859b8970c5c5f743adc67eda9c4a9dc0.jpeg

Edited by ColoradoMom!!
add picture
  • Like 2

On 9/10/2024 at 11:25 AM, ColoradoMom!! said:

@danny8826

We were in Geiranger on August 6th, 2024.  We wanted to see these views mentioned, but the bus price seemed high.  We instead rented the small electric car mentioned above and had a wonderful time. (It's called eMobility Geiranger) We booked ahead and did the 2 hour choice.  We first went up to Flydalsjuvet, a view I had been googling and admiring for a year.  It was nice to hit the lower spot where the buses didn't stop and it was less crowded.  We then headed back down and stopped at Westeras farm(also spelled with a V - and that confused us) then went back past town and up to Eagle's nest. This took us the full 2 hours.  It was absolutely spectacular, but we were blessed with incredible weather.  This is a picture I took from that 1st stop.

B4A93F5C-F2CC-4B40-A2A8-905CF7611483_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f49437628c2aa94b38334d6c2c366448.jpeg

Below is the view from Eagle's nest

IMG_4994.thumb.jpeg.859b8970c5c5f743adc67eda9c4a9dc0.jpeg

Thank you for sharing your info.

Wow, those are gorgeous pictures.  We are leaving in 2 week to board the MSC Euribia in Copenhagen so we don't know what weather we will be expecting...most likely cloudy.  I am OK with that too as long as it doesn't rain.  Cloudy sky are actually good photo days.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

Have a great time! Post some of your pictures when you return!

I will try to remember that.  Typically, I share an album of each city/town I visited.  I have a bunch of friends all over the world either they can't travel or don't want to travel, but wanting to see pictures.  I am trying to get all my albums up on flickr.com where I subscribe to because they keep the original size of your photos.  

• Like 1