Holland america vs Princess Cruise lines

Oppsy: I posted this in the wrong thread.

When comparing Princess to HAL some of you might find this interesting. I think there will likely be a catch, but 120% is nothing to sneeze at when it comes to big ticket items like cruising.

image.png.fd44ea7b9f2f9f7472cc01c867a580f6.png

image.png.5d9ea9696a9a377fdceeaf2c3fc8a565.png

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/06/princess-cruises-launches-best-price-guarantee/

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Oppsy: I posted this in the wrong thread.

When comparing Princess to HAL some of you might find this interesting. I think there will likely be a catch, but 120% is nothing to sneeze at when it comes to big ticket items like cruising.

image.png.fd44ea7b9f2f9f7472cc01c867a580f6.png

image.png.5d9ea9696a9a377fdceeaf2c3fc8a565.png

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/06/princess-cruises-launches-best-price-guarantee/

I guarantee there is a catch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The catch is likely it is a time limited promo.  Bookings are excellent right now, industry wide. When and if things turn down expect that promo to disappear 

It’s already time sensitive-

“The “Better than Best Price Guarantee” offer runs from July 1 through September 2, 2024.”

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 8:02 AM, Bobpell54 said:

Did 22 cruises on HAL starting in 2010

Jumped ship to Princess because we wanted a change and grew tired of the repetitive main stage entertainment, especially the BBC shows projected on the walls

Princess's main stage had much more production/live shows and we thoroughly enjoy them.

Does HAL still project shows on the walls?

Bob

They did last year on the Konigsdam.  BBC World.  It was fun the first couple of times 

Me too, the second cruise I looked at the floor. Next year I didn't go when the daily news said a BBC show was going to be on. Then we heard through friends that Princess had production shows, tribute singers and vocalists. We jumped ship vowing not to return til the snakes and similar ilk are gone!!

Bob 

PS...we do enjoy the Princess main stage shows immensely

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bobpell54 said:

Me too, the second cruise I looked at the floor. Next year I didn't go when the daily news said a BBC show was going to be on. Then we heard through friends that Princess had production shows, tribute singers and vocalists. We jumped ship vowing not to return til the snakes and similar ilk are gone!!

Bob 

PS...we do enjoy the Princess main stage shows immensely

What I liked on the Regal Princess was that they had two experts giving lectures throughout the cruise.  The first was a lady familiar with all of the destinations of the cruise who talked about everything to do in port.  This included 3rd party excursions as well as "off the beaten track" things.  And excluded all of the usual ads that you usually hear about.

The second was a retired foreign service diplomat who worked throughout Central America during four administrations.

Both these speakers were available for questions afterwards.

This sure beat the HAL cruise director reading through PowerPoint presentations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am a HAL cruiser since 1959. I have tried Costa when it was still Costa (very nice Caribbean trip, not part of CCL) and Royal Caribbean (twice, 2008 and October 2023). I am going on Koningsdam in January 2025 to Hawaii.

Anthem OTS was a fine ship (2023, 15 nights) but too big for me. Lots of tempting things to do but missed many of them because what I did go to were fun.

I am a classical music fan so will miss Lincoln Center. I did like BB King, Rolling Stone  and Billboard as well.

I enjoyed the production shows on Anthem but preferred the Big Band music and the Calypso band so attended them both more than once. They also had a British group who sang 50s music. I saw them twice before they left the ship in the Canary Islands.

We had good food on Anthem including the buffets, the MDR and two specialty dining venues. No complaints. As a matter of fact our MDR dinner servers may have been the best I ever had since 1959 on HAL.

On Rotterdam in 2021, we ate at 4 pay to dine venues plus the buffet, NY Deli, Dive In and MDR. All were top notch except for NY Deli. We are ex-New Yorkers and were very disappointed in what was served there.

I have "a champagne" appetite for cruising but travel traa "soda pop" budget. I have been lucky to find good bargains in recent years for my cruises.

Happy cruising however you go!

Jim 

Edited by jeh10641
  • Like 2