Luggage Tags and Luggage Forward--What Do You Do When You Leave Home More Than 21 Days Before the Sailing

rj1227

Cunard sends out its luggage tags exactly 21 days before the sailing. What do you do if you are beginning your trip more than 21 days before the sailing date--especially if you using Luggage Forward? 

As far as any bag I am carrying, I imagine that a hotel can help me print out the luggage tags I am sent. 

But if I leave a suitcase behind with a family member or neighbor for Luggage Forward to pick up, does Luggage Forward need the Cunard luggage tag, or is the basic information as to the sailing, sailing date, and cabin number sufficient?

You can just write it down on a DIY label, the port staff can work around a few cases like that. But best to print. Many public libraries could probably help out someone who isn't used to doing this. You could also print them remotely and post them to the family member.  I suspect a luggage forwarding company with a relationship with Cunard can also work around this, after all luggage labels could easily tear off in the transit to the port.

1 minute ago, Pushpit said:

You can just write it down on a DIY label, the port staff can work around a few cases like that. But best to print. Many public libraries could probably help out someone who isn't used to doing this. You could also print them remotely and post them to the family member.  I suspect a luggage forwarding company with a relationship with Cunard can also work around this, after all luggage labels could easily tear off in the transit to the port.

Or email them to the family member for him/her to print out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rj1227 said:

But if I leave a suitcase behind with a family member or neighbor for Luggage Forward to pick up, does Luggage Forward need the Cunard luggage tag, or is the basic information as to the sailing, sailing date, and cabin number sufficient?

I'd avoid relying solely on Luggage Forward's tags (which as I recall do have your sailing, sailing date, and cabin number on them, but in tiny letters). On our first use of LF I misread the instructions and intentionally left off the Cunard tags. One bag was delivered to a different cabin.

So try to employ one of the methods recommended above.

We left our luggage with a family member about 2 months before our cruise (embarks tomorrow), so I can let you know how this works out really soon, because I didn't even think about attaching a Cunard luggage tag to our forwarded luggage.   These were the instructions from Luggage Forward.  There was no mention of attaching a luggage tag from Cunard.

IMG_6960.thumb.jpg.436e15d575a43046fd0967f8c7cdd7ec.jpg

As per a prior post, there are instructions (in small print) on the label attached to the luggage which provides the sailing date and cabin #. 

Screenshot2024-06-22020345.thumb.jpg.ca8696825c22247804964f1d81de8e8c.jpg

I'm hoping that our bag is in our cabin tomorrow afternoon.  I'll let you know! 

Edited by Joe33472
  • Like 2

I would add that since Cunard partners with Luggage Forward, I'm fully expecting our bag delivered directly to the cabin without an issue.   It's not like this is a random service.  And even though the instructions regarding sailing date and cabin # is small, the Luggage Forward label is very distinct, so I'm sure the Cunard staff know exactly were to look on those tags.  I've attached copy of the luggage tag from LF. 

image.thumb.png.57f47197027a78fe47145a50a77ef19b.png

IMG_6959.thumb.jpg.1019796e2b2a3d952d216cefa5f84949.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

I'd avoid relying solely on Luggage Forward's tags (which as I recall do have your sailing, sailing date, and cabin number on them, but in tiny letters). On our first use of LF I misread the instructions and intentionally left off the Cunard tags. One bag was delivered to a different cabin.

So try to employ one of the methods recommended above.

We used Luggage Forward for a December 2022 crossing, with them picking up our suitcase about 6 weeks prior to the embarkation date. We didn’t put Cunard tags on it - obviously, well before they were available - and it was delivered to the cabin without a problem.

Perhaps it has changed now, but Cunard luggage tags were not required for Luggage Forward in the past. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

We used Luggage Forward for a December 2022 crossing, with them picking up our suitcase about 6 weeks prior to the embarkation date. We didn’t put Cunard tags on it - obviously, well before they were available - and it was delivered to the cabin without a problem.

Perhaps it has changed now, but Cunard luggage tags were not required for Luggage Forward in the past. 

I'm sure our misplaced bag was an anomaly. (It was delivered, ultimately. By our neighbor.) Nonetheless, I'd be inclined to include a Cunard tag if at all possible.

1 hour ago, Tattycoram said:

I've got kind of the opposite question:  

I'll be boarding for our TA in Brooklyn--about an hour from our house in CT.  Do I even need to put the luggage tags in plastic just to get from the pier to the stateroom?

A lot of people do this, you may be able to recycle something from DIY or shopping to protect your tags. Some people will say "well you will be doing a lot more Cunard sailing from now on, so you may as well go to Amazon to get something durable". And I guess a lot depends on whether you think it never rains in Brooklyn or it always rains in Brooklyn. Scientifically it's in between and tending to not raining, so mostly you would be OK following the bend and fold instructions on the print-out and nothing more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tattycoram said:

Do I even need to put the luggage tags in plastic just to get from the pier to the stateroom?

I stapled mine on at the hotel room and tore it off in the stateroom.  (I carry a mini stapler; super cheap at Walmart!)  The tags are more durable than they look.

• Like 2

Many thanks to all who responded (or may still respond). 

It seems that Luggage Forward does not need the Cunard luggage tag (though the tag provides insurance that the bag is routed correctly). I will need to print my luggage tag for the suitcase I will be carrying and my boarding pass at a hotel where I will be staying. 

I still wish Cunard sent out the boarding pass and luggage tags earlier than 21 days before sailing. But it seems that I will be able to manage.