Flight from Newark NJ

Mag26

Hi, Anyone know if flights are less expensive to Anchorage or Vancouver? Planning cruise for next year and it's too far out to search flights. Tha

nks

The only way to know is do the research...there is no rule that this airport is cheaper, or more expensive than any other. You may not be able to look at next July (2025) yet, for example, but you can look at this summer, and monitor dates before your actual flight date arrives, to get the general idea of pricing trends.

Great that you were able to find and use this very relevant board for your first post on Cruise Critic. Welcome!!!

Edit...I found this was actually posted on the Alaska board first. No matter. Welcome!

It depends on what you are looking for. I' m going an Alaska cruise myself this May. I usually use my local airport, Hartford Bradley. But by flying out of JFK, I can get a nonstop to Vancouver on Jetblue. It may even be the cheapest or near cheapest option, but its too early to say as flights have not opened yet. I'm going to Greece and it was the cheapest and best option as it has nonstop flights to Athens on Emirates RT for around $700. 

50 minutes ago, sambamama said:

flying out of JFK, I can get a nonstop to Vancouver on Jetblue. It may even be the cheapest or near cheapest option, but its too early to say as flights have not opened yet.

Until the schedule is released, you can't "get" any flight.  And even then, that option may not be staying around, as JetBlue has some significant issues facing them.  Route changes, as well as corporate direction are quite likely in the near future.

And weren't you concerned about the difficulty in getting to JFK?

No, I'm not concerned about getting to JFK. Its actually easier for me to get to JFK than Boston. I travel alone. There is no train to Boston, and the bus to Logan involves changing. One line even charges $50 per piece of luggage. My local airport is very limited for international flights. I can take an 8 minute taxi to the Amtrak station, take the train to Penn Station, get on the LIRR there to Jamaica Station, and then take the Airtrain. That cost can be less than the cost of an Uber to Bradley, or the long-term parking cost. Hartford doesn't have connecting flights to JFK any more. And I think that the nonstop JetBlue flight to Vancouver will remain. Its the only nonstop in the tri city area. 

In the Hartford area, if you are trying to fly to Asia, or Africa, or the South Pacific, really anyplace other than Canada, the US, Hawaii, Mexico, or Europe, you are forced to fly out of Boston, Newark, JFK, or LaGuardia. And with no train, and the messed up buses, and the very expensive parking, if you are going away for a week or more, its easier to fly out of anywhere but Boston. 

Most all my big trips, I've flown from JFK. Do I wish I could fly from Bradley? Sure, but its not an option. And its far, far easier to take the train to JFK  than to get to Logan. If I could take Amtrak from Springfield to Logan, I would. But the local bus company owner has blocked Amtrak expansion to Boston. Newark is even easier as you just have to take the Air train from the Newark Amtrak station. 

And the JetBlue schedule is out thru May. Sure, they may change the flight from a nonstop. And in that case, I may change my flight to out from Bradley. 

Consider logistics if you’re doing either. I’ve done both and unless your wanting extra time near Anchorage I prefer Vancouver.

Vancouver you can fly in and stay near the hotel or at the Y for cheaper and just take the skytrain to within a few blocks of the port.

Anchorage hotels are so overpriced. If taking the train or a bus transfer they leave very early in the morning .

if the flight prices are similar then you’ll save by going from Vancouver with all the other costs like transfers and hotels etc.