OBC Provided by Travel Agent

hamrag

We have booked 2 B2B cruises, using a USA agent at significantly less cost than UK agents, and will have OBC from Azamara which is definitely non-refundable. The agency is providing OBC for each cruise, my question regarding that is do Azamara treat agency OBC as refundable?

TIA

9 minutes ago, hamrag said:

We have booked 2 B2B cruises, using a USA agent at significantly less cost than UK agents, and will have OBC from Azamara which is definitely non-refundable. The agency is providing OBC for each cruise, my question regarding that is do Azamara treat agency OBC as refundable?

TIA

I guess that depends how the agency see it.

• Thanks 1

Azamara doesn't get to decide how they will treat OBC from a travel agency; it's the agency's decision.

Some agency OBC is a passthrough from Azamara, some is directly from the agency. Your travel agency can tell you which you are getting. If it's a passthrough, you'll probably have to spend it. 

My travel agency used to give me refundable OBC which I would have to ask for at the end of the cruise. They now send me a check when I return from the cruise instead. (This is usually 5 to 10 percent of the commissionable fare.) I much prefer getting the check.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

To add to the confusion.............We have actually had both refundable and non-refundable OBC's from the same agent on several cruises. It has to do with a choice of stateroom perks which fall into the non-refundable category and a generic agent OBC. We've also had a combination of the two along with a check following the sailing. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

To add to the confusion.............We have actually had both refundable and non-refundable OBC's from the same agent on several cruises. It has to do with a choice of stateroom perks which fall into the non-refundable category and a generic agent OBC. We've also had a combination of the two along with a check following the sailing. 

It is confusing.   I'd strongly suggest always having a paper copy of any correspondence dealing with OBC with you when you board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On our recent onward cruise, I had both.  Azamara non refundable OBC and refundable TA OBC,

once on board and checked in with Guest Relations they had it all as non refundable.   They had to send a message to home office about TA OBC being refundable.  It was updated the next day.  I Immediately took the money out before they changed their minds.  On Oceania you need to wait till last day.

• Thanks 1