Can Canadians join AARP for cruise OBC?

7 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Yes - we can!

Thank you!  That makes me very happy!

1 minute ago, JustCruzin77 said:

I have not looked in to AARP, can any members speak to the benefits to Cruisers?
Is it all cruise lines, or specific, etc..

I am only aware of HAL.  The $12 annual fee is absolutely worth $200 OBC!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

HAL offers AARP OBC.  Does anyone know if Canadians can join and qualify for this?

No you can't.  I was a member of AARP when I lived in the U.S. but on moving back to Canada I was no longer allowed.  Perhaps AARP and CARP have agreed not to tread on each other's turf.  That was a few years ago so possibly things may have changed.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Fairgarth said:

No you can't.  I was a member of AARP when I lived in the U.S. but on moving back to Canada I was no longer allowed.  Perhaps AARP and CARP have agreed not to tread on each other's turf.  That was a few years ago so possibly things may have changed.

I am not sure about joining AARP, but CARP does have International/USA benefits for an additional cost. I will need to look into this more when I have time.

26 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

I was just able to join.  They even have drop down menus and different prices for Canadian and Mexican members so it is absolutely doable.

What was the price for Canadians?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

I was just able to join.  They even have drop down menus and different prices for Canadian and Mexican members so it is absolutely doable.

AARP membership is open to Canadians, but certain parts of their programs are restricted to US residents. For example, they sell gifts cards 10% off their face value, but only to members living in the US.

Do you have an upcoming HAL cruise, and have you tried applying for the OBC? I'd be very interested in the outcome.

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

AARP membership is open to Canadians, but certain parts of their programs are restricted to US residents. For example, they sell gifts cards 10% off their face value, but only to members living in the US.

Do you have an upcoming HAL cruise, and have you tried applying for the OBC? I'd be very interested in the outcome.

Good to know.  I'm planning to book one onboard and will come back and inform of the outcome.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

Good to know.  I'm planning to book one onboard and will come back and inform of the outcome.

Our next cruise isn't until October, so hopefully you'll return with positive information allowing us to follow your lead.

Your cruise should be fun, covering both Canada Day and July 4th celebrations!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

We've had AARP membership since they launched the HAL benefit, and have used it for HAL OBC (we're Canadian)

As you've pointed out, it's a no luck with gift cards though as a Canuck. 😏

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

We've had AARP membership since they launched the HAL benefit, and have used it for HAL OBC (we're Canadian)

As you've pointed out, it's a no luck with gift cards though as a Canuck. 😏

What are the steps required to get the OBC once you have your membership?

4 minutes ago, everbeentoseabilly said:

I keep getting an error message when I try to get the form to fill out with HAL

Uh-oh!🫤

20 minutes ago, everbeentoseabilly said:

I just went through it with my TA ( he is in The states). He said it might only

work for new bookings. 

Too bad there's nothing on HAL's or AARP's website providing this information. Or, at least, nothing that I could find, and I'm usually good at finding needles in haystacks! 😇

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Too bad there's nothing on HAL's or AARP's website providing this information. Or, at least, nothing that I could find, and I'm usually good at finding needles in haystacks! 😇

It seems you have to configure your VPN as US to get the AARP registration link now (under the DEALS section like other appreciation OBC stuff) , was not initially that way, The other option would be to call in to HAL and have your AARP membership registered,

Mine membership appear to still be valid as I tried to register it again and burps at me that it is already in there. 

• Thanks 2

I have a little (very little) experience with the AARP and their gift cards and the HAL OBC. But PLEASE don't take my word for it, verify it for yourself. "AARP membership is open to anyone 18 or older. While AARP's mission is dedicated to the needs of the 50+ population, anyone can become an AARP member...." 

I'm going to start with the HAL OBC. My understanding (have NOT sailed HAL) is that you verify your AARP membership on-line (there is a link for it) and from that point on your AARP member number is linked to your Mariners number and will automatically credit you with the appropriate OBC for any HAL cruise you book. I think it happens automatically once your number is in their system. But don't take my word for it. There are threads here on CC that may be able to confirm this.

As a valued AARP member, receive up to $200 Onboard Credit per stateroom when booking your next Holland America Line cruise. Use your onboard credit for products or services while onboard, including Shore Excursions, Beverages and Spa services. To receive this offer, please verify your AARP member status by clicking on the link below. 

Offer Details

CRUISE LENGTH Inside & Ocean View  Verandahs & Suites
5- to 9-day Cruises $50 per stateroom $100 per stateroom
10+ day Cruises & Cruisetours $100 per stateroom

$200 per stateroom

Separate from the HAL OBC, AARP has a REWARDS program where they sell discounted E Gift Cards for use at a number of establishments including Cruise Lines. But here's the rub, you must have a US address and phone number to partake of the REWARDS program. "Only users within the 50 United States and the District of Columbia are able to participate in the new AARP Rewards program. Users elsewhere can still read and enjoy AARP content, but they will not be able to earn or redeem points or purchase items in AARP Rewards." 

Stay with me here, this next part is completely separate from the HAL OBC benefit. AARP sells E Gift Cards for Cruise Lines, RCCL, CCL, Celebrity, Princess and HAL. The savings is 10% across the board. The denominations of the E Gift Cards can vary, but usually they sell $500 cards for $450 and $100 cards for $90. These are "E Gift Cards" and not hard copy cards. There are a number of sites that you can get cruise line E Gift Cards, NOT just AARP. CardCash is one. On this site people buy and sell gift cards. You can buy discounted cards for a number of different products including cruises. This operates like Ebay. Newegg is another site that sells cruise E Gift Cards but usually at face value. However, Newegg does have sales. Newegg recently had CCL E Gift Cards at 10% off (a $500 gift card would be $450). This was a limited time offer with limited quantity. The AARP E Gift Cards are always 10% off and have NO expiration date. The AARP E Gift Cards are fully transferable - they are GIFT CARDS. So, if you have relatives/friends or such in the USA they could buy the cards for you, and you can redeem them. They do NOT have any name on them, only the card number and a pin number. The card number and pin are what whoever has the card would use to get the discount. Yes, it is jumping through a few hoops, but if you have a $4 - $5 thousand dollar cruise and you buy the cards to pay for it, then saving 10% is worth a little effort (IMHO). If any of you do decide to check this further, keep in mind all the prices I quoted are in USD, so take that into consideration. PLEASE read and understand the T & C for each site and cards and how to redeem them. The CCL cards can be used for pretty much anything connected to the cruise, but there are still T & C to understand. The RCCL cards can be used but are VERY restrictive. You must follow the T & C to the letter. One condition that I read here on CC often is people will book their RCCL cruise through a TA and then try to apply the AARP E Gift Card and RCCL rejects it. You must book directly with RCCL to apply an E Gift Card. You can transfer the booking to a TA after the initial booking. This catches a lot of folks off guard, and they get really ticked off (they DON'T read the T & C). The T & C are right on the screen with AARP BEFORE you buy the cards. The T & C are also on-line with RCCL for anyone to read. So, READ the T & C and UNDERSTAND them. I'd also suggest reading the threads here on CC about AARP gift cards. Some really good info and of course some really bad info, you decide. Best of luck to all, hope this info helps you save some cash. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2024 at 3:50 PM, everbeentoseabilly said:

I keep getting an error message when I try to get the form to fill out with HAL

I just could not get to the form no matter what I tried.  I called HAL and was told that they couldn't help me as the customer must fill in the form themselves.  I was quite surprised as I had never been told "No" and "Do it yourself" by any other cruise line.  This is our first HAL cruise and I'm hoping the experience onboard is certainly better than the pre cruise experience.  Anyway, I tried calling the Mariner help desk and the gentleman there was very helpful and filled out the form for me.  I received an email very quickly verifying that it was done.  He also told me that we should qualify for the AARP OBC for our Saturday cruise and to call in 3 business days to have it added.  This is contrary to the fine print so I may or may not call.  I really want it for the cruise I am hoping to book onboard as it is a longer cruise and the OBC will be well worth the effort. To be continued.....

• Like 1

If you have purchased 100 shares of Carnival stock, you are eligible for a shipboard credit on any of their affiliated ships.  It does take about three weeks to get it set up.