Ship Hierarchy - For Captains, Yes. For Crew?

Tom and Ingrid

It seems like as a new ship rolls out, it is a "reward" to various captains to be at the helm as they roll out and are the latest and greatest.  My assumption (right or wrong) would be that most captains and other officers are trying to progress towards those ships, and being given a spot on an Edge-class is a "promotion" of sorts - maybe not pay or even responsibility, but at least "status" related.  Think Captain Kate or the Greek Brothers.

Is it likely the same with the crew? That is, they work up the ranks both in position but also in ship "status", or does the nature of their constant renewal of contracts make it more dependent on whatever ship wherever needs crew?

Edited by Tom and Ingrid

There's always an "honor" in taking out a new ship, but it depends on what the Captain wants, and where they want to sail. Kate has talked about the fact that she's limited in what itineraries she can take because of Bug. There are countries that would require Bug to be quarantined if the ship docked - so she sticks with the Caribbean and Europe to avoid those places. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, DannyS said:

Kate has talked about the fact that she's limited in what itineraries she can take because of Bug. There are countries that would require Bug to be quarantined if the ship docked - so she sticks with the Caribbean and Europe to avoid those places. 

Wow - I never heard that but I guess it makes sense. 

I'm sure Bug would "let" her have one six month stint without having her aboard. Seems Bug's grandparents are good to her.

2 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

It seems like as a new ship rolls out, it is a "reward" to various captains to be at the helm as they roll out and are the latest and greatest.  My assumption (right or wrong) would be that most captains and other officers are trying to progress towards those ships, and being given a spot on an Edge-class is a "promotion" of sorts - maybe not pay or even responsibility, but at least "status" related.  Think Captain Kate or the Greek Brothers.

Is it likely the same with the crew? That is, they work up the ranks both in position but also in ship "status", or does the nature of their constant renewal of contracts make it more dependent on whatever ship wherever needs crew?

When I have talked to crew about their work histories and preferences, it seems like individual tastes are more at play as to which ships they prefer and not so much career planning.  For a while, the new ships were in favor (Horizon vs Century vs Millennium) because the crew quarters were improved with each new ship class.  Lately it seems to be ship size that is important.  But all of my comments and observations are based on a very limited sample size and what the crew are really willing to share with me.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

I've seen some YouTube videos by current/former cruise ship crew (I know, I know...) and this is what I take from them when they discuss this subject:

Some crew are requested to go on a new ship because the cruise line wants experienced staff on their newest ships.  These staff are allowed to accept or decline.  Some crew want to go on the newest ship for whatever reason; the more senior they are, the more likely they'll get what they want.

Believe it or not, many crew do NOT want to be assigned to a new ship as it is a lot of work to set up the ship from the shipyard phase to being guest ready.   It's true that many get asked that have had previous experience opening a new ship.    And it is an honor, but many that have already done it pass on the opportunity.   

For officers, I know many chose geographic locations versus the actual ship as they prefer to be nearer to family.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We were on Silhouette in May 2023 and a few of the staff members I interacted with had just been told that they were assigned to Ascent. They were all VERY excited and it seemed to be a big deal. Some were receiving promotions to open up the new ship which would add to the excitement. 

Edited by mrgabriel
Fat fingers
  • Like 2

On 6/26/2024 at 2:34 PM, nps001 said:

Believe it or not, many crew do NOT want to be assigned to a new ship as it is a lot of work to set up the ship from the shipyard phase to being guest ready.   It's true that many get asked that have had previous experience opening a new ship.    And it is an honor, but many that have already done it pass on the opportunity.   

For officers, I know many chose geographic locations versus the actual ship as they prefer to be nearer to family.

This is definitely the case now - as there are fewer experienced people in the industry, and there's more people moving from one company to another.

There was a time when new ships were staffed with all experienced people and they'd work together to get things organized and running, then train their replacements when their contracts are up.

These days, in many areas, there's one or two very experienced people on the start up team and a number of colleagues who are new to the team or promoted into a job on the new ship. So, the experienced person has to both get things up and running and train their coworkers. It's a LOT of work, and quite challenging - and way more than it used to be.

• Like 1

I've seen it said here that who the Captain of the ship happens to be makes no difference to their cruise.  Each time I've argued that the Captain, by way of the Staff Captain, sets the tone of the ship as regards the working (and playing) environment of the crew.

With any knowledge of the service industry, one would know how that work environment can impact service quality and employee retention (even if through am agency). 

Unhappy employees don't typically provide exemplary service.

So throw into the mix whom crew prefer to work with/for in the decision making process.

• Like 2

Capt Kate was asked in one of those Q&A sessions onboard the Beyond last Feb that we attended and that was where she said that she can only take bug on certain itineraries. Bug is her family. 

The Cruise Director (can’t remember her name on the Beyond  ) she also stated in the Q&A with the CD that they can be moved around wherever they are needed.  One of the most popular Luigi opened on  the Ascent last winter with Dimitrius and I believe he is now on the Reflection according to a live report I was following. We were on the Transatlantic with him on the Beyond last year.