A Silly Question On Scooters

We always rent a scooter, delivered to us on board.  My wife gets around fine on it.  However, she finds it difficult to get in and out of our room without me being with her.  The good news is that we almost always are together.  The bad news is that she loses independence.

One help has been to have a room very close to the Neptune Lounge.  She is comfortable using a cane for short distances.

Any tips.  BTW, my late thanks to the one who posted tips regarding elevators.

BTW, does HAL have a handicapped button outside the elevators.  I have never noticed.

6 minutes ago, mark46 said:

We always rent a scooter, delivered to us on board.  My wife gets around fine on it.  However, she finds it difficult to get in and out of our room without me being with her.  The good news is that we almost always are together.  The bad news is that she loses independence.

One help has been to have a room very close to the Neptune Lounge.  She is comfortable using a cane for short distances.

Any tips.  BTW, my late thanks to the one who posted tips regarding elevators.

BTW, does HAL have a handicapped button outside the elevators.  I have never noticed.

We were on Millennium in October 2023 and did not see any handicapped buttons.

Check out the Wedge-it device (Amazon has them).   I've never used one but if you're interested you might post a new question on this board asking if anyone has used one for their stateroom door.  Or any other tricks passengers have used to prop open their door to get their mobility device through. 

https://www.amazon.com/Wedge-WEDGE-Ultimate-Door-Green/dp/B00N4M2UCM/

16 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

Check out the Wedge-it device (Amazon has them).   I've never used one but if you're interested you might post a new question on this board asking if anyone has used one for their stateroom door.  Or any other tricks passengers have used to prop open their door to get their mobility device through. 

https://www.amazon.com/Wedge-WEDGE-Ultimate-Door-Green/dp/B00N4M2UCM/

Except be really careful not to damage the door. We've come close to damaging a hinge or two.

My husband and I are normally together also and yes, it is easier when he is with me but when necessary I have either ditched my scooter in the elevator area, taking the key with me and getting it once we are back together OR just asked a fellow passenger if they minded opening my door for me. Since we are always so close to the elevator and (on Princess) the doors unlock on approach I've always had luck politely asking.

• Like 1

I really wish Princess would add some kind of automatic door opener.  My husband uses an electric wheelchair, but I always go with him as the doors are so heavy & getting into the room is an issue. I bought a door wedge with a stick attached for him but he hasn't used it.

• Like 1

I use a scooter that I could push manually if necessary and guide it into the cabin if my husband is not with me. We tried it once to see if I could do it. After that practice, I only had to enter the cabin on my own once. That time, I was able to actually push open the door, grab the door stop to keep the door open and very slowly drive my scooter into the cabin. Honestly though, I really should have manually pushed and guided it in as it would have been easier. I can’t really walk without the cane, but pushing the scooter I’m leaning on it so that’s how I’m able to push it through the door. Maybe you can try that if the scooter allows for a manual mode.

• Like 1