Rough sailing?

zaylyn2590

I recently went to Bermuda leaving from NYC. It was late March and it was pretty rough sailing. Is that normal for that destination or was it the time of year?. I'm kinda hesitant book another Bermuda sailing but maybe if i go a different time?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, zaylyn2590 said:

I recently went to Bermuda leaving from NYC. It was late March and it was pretty rough sailing. Is that normal for that destination or was it the time of year?. I'm kinda hesitant book another Bermuda sailing but maybe if i go a different time?

It is not usually pretty rough. Been on a couple of somewhat rough sailings. March tends to be a time of year of rough seas in the Atlantic. There never used to be much Bermuda cruise activity in March except Trans Atlantics that had a stop that was often missed because of high winds but NCL has added a number of winter sailings. I have noticed that a larger percentage of February and March sailings are cancelled because of high winds ( can’t dock) than other times of year. September is hurricane season so rough seas might be encountered as a byproduct. I have been on sailings with very calm sea in June, July and August. I have also encountered rough seas in other parts of the world like the Caribbean. I would suggest not booking Bermuda in the winter. I never have and over done over 15 sailings with only had a few so what rough sailings. Disclaimer, I don’t get sea sick. 

Edited by Charles4515

10 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It is not usually pretty rough. Been on a couple of somewhat rough sailings. March tends to be a time of year of rough seas in the Atlantic. There never used to be much Bermuda cruise activity in March except Trans Atlantics that had a stop that was often missed because of high winds but NCL has added a number of winter sailings. I have noticed that a larger percentage of February and March sailings are cancelled because of high winds ( can’t dock) than other times of year. September is hurricane season so rough seas might be encountered as a byproduct. I have been on sailings with very calm sea in June, July and August. I have also encountered rough seas in other parts of the world like the Caribbean. I would suggest not booking Bermuda in the winter. I never have and over done over 15 sailings with only had a few so what rough sailings. Disclaimer, I don’t get sea sick. 

Thank you! I was thinking October might not be too bad. I guess it doesn't hurt to try ☺️

We just came back Sunday. Both ways were probably the calmest I've experienced in five trips. We were scheduled to go last August, but a hurricane sent us to the Bahamas instead. We booked earlier in the season hoping to avoid storms. At least this year, it worked.

IMG_3220.thumb.JPG.c753bf1e0268694f4f94f9acd0f75ec1.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

We have done NY to Bermuda a few times over the years and are booked again this fall.  The crossing can be rough or calm or somewhere in between.  It is the open Atlantic so not possible to predict.  Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya Dramamine!

Edited by Travelling2Some