Athens

gizmodog

Sorry about this question, but going to Greece in October and just found out most places do not want you to flush toilet paper.

are there any hotels in Athens that you know of that allows flushing of toilet paper?

odd question I know but for some reason this is really bothering me.

23 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

Sorry about this question, but going to Greece in October and just found out most places do not want you to flush toilet paper.

are there any hotels in Athens that you know of that allows flushing of toilet paper?

Mainly a bigger issue outside of Athens on islands that have more primitive plumbing. We stay every few years at the Hotel Grande Bretagne in Athens and have always flushed our toilet paper and have had zero issue with it. 

6 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

You are asked to instead place used toilet paper in the bin next to the actual toilet itself. It is no big deal and helps prevent potential blockages. Doing this is better than having no flush at all should a blockage occur.😁

Edited by edinburgher

2 hours ago, gizmodog said:

I’m staying at the Grand Hyatt in Athens and emailed them to ask this question and they replied they ask us to please not flush toilet paper, 

I will look at the hotel that was mentioned above.

Based on your type of hotel, check the InterContinental Hotel as well. Been researching for an Athens hotel for next summer...Grand Hyatt was one I looked at...we ruled it out, not a great neighborhood.

But always...when in Rome...

5 hours ago, edinburgher said:

You are asked to instead place used toilet paper in the bin next to the actual toilet itself. It is no big deal and helps prevent potential blockages. Doing this is better than having no flush at all should a blockage occur.😁

Not been our experience at this particular hotel-- no bins next to the toilet, no note asking you to do it, and no instructions from the staff to do it. 

Like I said I've seen it elsewhere in Greece but have stayed at the GB three times, once before Covid and 2 times after, and not been asked to do this.  

19 hours ago, gizmodog said:

gizmodog,  I had not read your initial question carefully enough, and thinking it was a general question for Greece (mainland and islands)  I replied with a general comment, failing to mention that there will be some exceptions.  On reading it again but this time more carefully,  I note you had actually asked about only specific hotels in Athens, and you have been given the names of a least one exception to the general "noTP" request.

I should also have added first time, that you will most likely find the same "No TP" request in cafes, bars and restaurants, but again, I should point out that there are likely to be exceptions which others with that specific knowledge can advise on.

Edited by edinburgher

8 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Not been our experience at this particular hotel-- no bins next to the toilet, no note asking you to do it, and no instructions from the staff to do it. 

Happy to have been corrected and educated.

Yes there will be exceptions and the OP will be happy that you have found him/her/them a hotel without having to search through hundreds of options.