Hurricane Beryl

Just now, cruisinfly said:

Thank you for the well wishes. I'll post if I find out about any changes. Things are still a bit iffy but I think we have a good chance of cruising, somewhere, at least!

I noticed you do have two sea days on the front end, so that should give them some options on where to go.  We just have one sea day, and I'm honestly not sure what the options even would be (but I don't think it will be needed, at least for us). 

Ship are mobile. Ports are not. Looks like Beryl is going to hit somewhere between Cozumel and Costa Maya. Weaker, but still hurricane force with plenty of opportunity for damage depending upon the exact timing, tides, etc. I feel lucky knowing worst case I’m out a vacation. A lot of the residents down there won’t be so lucky. 

Sailing to Cozumel and Progreso on the 16th with MAS.  Both ports being in the eye of Cat III Beryl right about now. 

Hope the peninsula gets through with minimal damage and no casualties.

Have excursions set up at both ports.  Considering the idea of cancelling and, if possible,  spending the port time being useful in some way.   I'd feel like an 'Ugly American' if I were lounging in a cabana, while a few feet away, people are trying to live in what is left of their home.  

• Like 2

On 7/2/2024 at 5:30 PM, smokeybandit said:

You'll be fine. By Sunday, Beryl will be a weak tropical storm far south of Galveston. You won't even notice her.

FYI... Current (Sat 7/6/24) offshore Gulf of Mexico forecast per Natl Hurricane Center has changed.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

GMZ040-062100-
NW Gulf including Stetson Bank-
456 AM EDT Sat Jul 6 2024

...HURRICANE WARNING...

.TODAY...E to SE winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 2 to 4 ft. Scattered showers and isolated tstms.
.TONIGHT...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. E winds 25 to 30 kt. Seas 5 to 7 ft, building to 8 to 12 ft late. Scattered showers and isolated tstms.
.SUN...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED. E winds 35 to 40 kt, increasing to 50 to 60 kt in the afternoon. Seas 10 to 15 ft, building to 14 to 21 ft in the afternoon. Scattered showers and isolated tstms

1 minute ago, clearlake_cruiser said:

FYI... Current (Sat 7/6/24) offshore Gulf of Mexico forecast per Natl Hurricane Center has changed.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

GMZ040-062100-
NW Gulf including Stetson Bank-
456 AM EDT Sat Jul 6 2024

...HURRICANE WARNING...

.TODAY...E to SE winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 2 to 4 ft. Scattered showers and isolated tstms.
.TONIGHT...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. E winds 25 to 30 kt. Seas 5 to 7 ft, building to 8 to 12 ft late. Scattered showers and isolated tstms.
.SUN...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED. E winds 35 to 40 kt, increasing to 50 to 60 kt in the afternoon. Seas 10 to 15 ft, building to 14 to 21 ft in the afternoon. Scattered showers and isolated tstms

It still doesn't change impact on Sunday cruises.

Memories of Katrina?

As I write (2pm Sunday July 07) "Beryl" is about to "barrel" into the Texas coast about 100 km (60 miles) SW of Houston at about 4 am on Monday.

The geography of the area, together with the positioning of the storm looks very similar to that of Katrina when it struck NOLA in 2005. Now, not nearly as ferocious as Katrina (she was force 5 then) but similar flooding seems a reasonable risk to consider, with onshore winds at Galveston of 38 knots or 44 mph - with onshore storm surge and heavy rain.

Expected to lose energy in the Yucatan area, she did but has not crossed onto "mainland Mexico", where it was expected to diminish. Instead, she's made a right hand (towards the north) turn in The Gulf and, over the warm water has regained some of her strength.

I would not want to be in Galveston  - or even Houston - between now and noon on Monday.

Beryl's next major target will be the Dallas area, with northerly winds of up to 30 knots (35 mph) and more heavy rain on Monday night.

Edited by Canuker
Grammar

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.