Shuttle Buses

Waju

Good evening all, does anyone know of a list of ports that require shuttle buses?  I have searched online but the info I'm getting seems to be fairly old.

Also, I know shuttles are included for those on select fares but didn't they used to be free for everyone if it was a 'working' port?

Thank you

10 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

Zeebrugge (Bruges) - everyone is bussed from the gangway to the port gate, through customs.   No walking on the dock side.

Have they stopped the shuttles going into Blankenberge which picked up straight from the ship but on way back I remember having to get off go through customs then board the port shuttle. 

Cagliari no walking dockside just to port entrance. Valencia you can walk I think, but best to get on the shuttle. When we docked they had one to the old town and one to port entrance.     

23 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Have they stopped the shuttles going into Blankenberge which picked up straight from the ship but on way back I remember having to get off go through customs then board the port shuttle. 

Yes, there are still shuttles to Blankenberge (certainly with Cunard anyway - not been on P&O for quite a few years), but I have also been on set down shuttles to / from the port gate (I know this because I once took one on a round trip just to take a photo of the ship (the driver laughed).

• Like 1

Try messaging P&O customer services via the contact form on their website. I usually ask them for itinerary-specific shuttle info and port times about three months before sailing and they (eventually) reply with the info. As long as you acknowledge it's subject to change, they seem quite happy to send it out!

The EU requires all ports to provide free buses from the ship to the dock gates where it would be unsafe for passengers to walk. Stops such as Valencia, Civitavecchia and Leixoes (Porto) come to mind. P&O may or may not provide shuttle buses from the ship to some destination ashore.

Be aware that it is not unknown for P&O crew to deny that there are port buses available so it is worth looking around outside of the terminal as the port buses are usually just that, buses rather than coaches and they are often parked away from the coaches.

Noticeably, on our recent stop in Lisbon in late June, no shuttle buses were provided which we thought was a destination that really needed them as the city centre is quite a walk for some.

6 minutes ago, GangPlankAlf said:

The EU requires all ports to provide free buses from the ship to the dock gates where it would be unsafe for passengers to walk. Stops such as Valencia, Civitavecchia and Leixoes (Porto) come to mind. P&O may or may not provide shuttle buses from the ship to some destination ashore.

Be aware that it is not unknown for P&O crew to deny that there are port buses available so it is worth looking around outside of the terminal as the port buses are usually just that, buses rather than coaches and they are often parked away from the coaches.

Noticeably, on our recent stop in Lisbon in late June, no shuttle buses were provided which we thought was a destination that really needed them as the city centre is quite a walk for some.

Totally agree. Another port where they should provide them is Haugesund which is quite a walk uphill for much of the way. I wonder if P&O are trying to save money?

2 minutes ago, GangPlankAlf said:

Lisbon main square and gate to pedestrian district is only about 15 minutes level walk from terminal, along the waterfront, with plenty of places to sit and rest. Shuttle bus actually drops off at the top of town and much further away from the ship and the pedestrian district, so more walking involved. 

• Like 1