The Easy Plus package is confusing for 4 people

ccheng6401

I am comparing the cruise price with and without easy plus package.  With the package, each person has to pay $212 more that means $848 more per stateroom for 4 people. 

However, it says wifi is included up to 2 devices per stateroom. Does that mean only 2 people get to use the included wifi? How about the other two who paid and also need wifi?  I assume the $150 OBC is per stateroom? 

Thanks

easy plus.png

Posted (edited)

I think you've got it right.   Four adult  Easy Plus packages for a one week sailing purchased after booking would run $427pp (on board purchase add 15%) and the two a two device browse plan I have to estimate at about $125.  Total around $1800.  So if you take the inclusive booking rate for $848 it might seem expensive but if you really want them it's the best option. 

The OBC is per cabin. 

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Até said:

I think you've got it right.   Four adult  Easy Plus packages for a one week sailing purchased after booking would run $427pp (on board purchase add 15%) and the two a two device browse plan I have to estimate at about $125.  Total around $1800.  So if you take the inclusive booking rate for $848 it might seem expensive but if you really want them it's the best option. 

The OBC is per cabin. 

for my cruise for next April they are showing the easy plus on sale for $301 pp. It says for a limited time so who knows when that will end

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Até said:

The OBC is per cabin. 

Thanks for answering my question.  Isn't it odd that 4 adults pay for the inclusive plan but only two of them will get wifi?   I don't quite understand the logic behind this...

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ccheng6401 said:

Isn't it odd that 4 adults pay for the inclusive plan but only two of them will get wifi?   I don't quite understand the logic behind this...

The way I look at it is MSC is just dividing the total cost by four for their simplicity of showing you a per person cost on the screen.

In reality if you are trying to divide the cost among your cabinmates then you need to adjust the cost up for passengers #1 and #2 who get the internet and accordingly down for #3 and #4 who will not get internet.

Or simply purchase another two device plan and split the cost by all four people.

Edited by Até
Typo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

for my cruise for next April they are showing the easy plus on sale for $301 pp. It says for a limited time so who knows when that will end

Like many other cruise lines I don't think MSC will ever actually end putting together packages claiming it's a sale.  And most of them are when you compare it to purchasing the included items separately.  But some sailings get better pricing incentives than others. 

Recently the average cost of the Drinks and Wifi inclusive rate has typically been $240pp to $280pp for a one week with two people. There were real deals hidden within the promotion such as several Meraviglia sailings where the inclusive rate was only $140pp more ($20pp per day).  It's been several years ago that I saw the best deals of around $10 to $13pp per day.

And conversely on sailings that have sold really well don't expect the inclusive rate to save near that much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Até said:

Like many other cruise lines I don't think MSC will ever actually end putting together packages claiming it's a sale.  And most of them are when you compare it to purchasing the included items separately.  But some sailings get better pricing incentives than others. 

Recently the average cost of the Drinks and Wifi inclusive rate has typically been $240pp to $280pp for a one week with two people. There were real deals hidden within the promotion such as several Meraviglia sailings where the inclusive rate was only $140pp more ($20pp per day).  It's been several years ago that I saw the best deals of around $10 to $13pp per day.

And conversely on sailings that have sold really well don't expect the inclusive rate to save near that much.

Yes I booked one of the Meraviglia sailings last month and got the drinks and wifi package for $140pp. Booked 3 weeks out. Booked an OV gty for about $450pp + the $140 drink /wifi package and got upgraded to a balcony.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Até said:

Or simply purchase another two device plan and split the cost by all four people.

Why would you charge all four people when only two devices can be used, unless they are passing the devices back and forth to each other.   

Unlike other cruise lines we have used, MSC's wireless package can only be used by the device that first connected.  You cannot disconnect that device and connect a new one using the same account information like you can on most other cruise lines.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Why would you charge all four people when only two devices can be used, unless they are passing the devices back and forth to each other.

MSC only shows one rate divided equally by the number of passengers, $212pp.  That's why OP was irritated.  Passengers #3 and #4 pay the same but don't get internet. 

So to make it equal they could purchase a two device plan for #3 and #4 to use, but the cost should be divided by all four.  That way everyone gets the same packages for the same cost.

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Have you priced getting 2 rooms?  2 people in each room?  It may pay to just enjoy two bathrooms instead of 4 people in one cruise ship room.  Sometimes the price savings is not much more to just have the two rooms instead of crowding into one room.  Then you can get the 4 wifi connections too.

Edited by dasi11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dasi11 said:

Have you priced getting 2 rooms?  2 people in each room?  It may pay to just enjoy two bathrooms instead of 4 people in one cruise ship room.  Sometimes the price savings is not much more to just have the two rooms instead of crowding into one room.  Then you can get the 4 wifi connections too.

The additional package price per person is the same for 2 people, 3 people or 4 people.  I think MSC doesn't want to encourage more than 2 passengers in a stateroom. Maybe that's why they won't include more than two devices per room.  

Posted (edited)

Just a note for people looking at booking more than two in a cabin:

When selecting more than two passengers the MSC US website currently does not correctly display the per person cost on the "Choose Your Limited-Time Offer" screen (as OP shows in screenshot above).  Do not make any assumptions based on this fictional per person number (it's actually more than the per person for two in the cabin - in this case $555 and $870 respectively) and only use the total "Cruise fare" price displayed at the bottom once you select the offer you want.

Note below image where four people are selected and it shows $920pp but the total "Cruise Fare" at the bottom is only $3160.  If the per person was correct it should total $3680.

4-ppAI.thumb.jpg.4017a59811a41b5627199fe637290bcb.jpg

The lower total "Cruise Fare" is correct and only trust the Summary (below image) once you select your cabin to see the actual per person cost.

4-SummaryAI.thumb.jpg.05723d242da2a5197f55c5ee097aadcf.jpg

Total cost is rounded to the highest dollar (thanks TWO) but once you get to checkout it will correct it to the cent.  The per person error above is true for both the base and the inclusive rates.

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Até said:

Total cost is rounded to the highest dollar (thanks TWO) but once you get to checkout it will correct it to the cent.  The per person error above is true for both the base and the inclusive rates.

Thanks for pointing out the website bug. It is still unclear to me that whether passenger 3 & 4 will get the same package benefit. I tried MSC Belgium site and the price is cheaper. However, that website also has bugs showing the correct benefits in easy plus fare.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ccheng6401 said:

It is still unclear to me that whether passenger 3 & 4 will get the same package benefit.

Here's the Terms & Conditions of the Drinks & WiFi promotional rate (currently called 4th of July Sale due to increased OBC).

Terms & Conditions:

• Rates are per person based on double occupancy and quoted in USD.  Offer is valid for U.S. residents only and on new bookings only. Subject to availability while supplies last.  
  • Government fees and taxes are included in the price. Offer is capacity-controlled, subject to availability, and can be withdrawn at any time without prior notice. 
  • Offer is not applicable to group bookings and cannot be combined with any other promotion. One (1) of the following discounts may be applied as applicable per stateroom: MSC Voyagers Exclusives; Healthcare Workers; Civil Service; Military; Interline. 
  • MSC Cruises reserves the right to pass on any fuel surcharge without prior notice to all guests and refuse to honor any prices/sailings that are erroneously printed or quoted. 
  • Cruise deposit: 0-4 nights: $99 per adult; 5-14 nights: $199 per adult; 15+ nights: $300 per adult. 
  • Easy Plus Drink Package: Beverage packages are not transferrable and may not be shared with other guests. Valid for one beverage only, per each order.  Violation of these terms may result in cancellation of a guest's package without eligibility for a refund or credit of any kind. Once activated on board, packages cannot be terminated or refunded. 
  • Packages must be booked by all guests occupying the same stateroom, traveling together and wishing to dine at the same table. This includes minors, for whom the Minors Package must be booked. Packages are not obligatory for infants under three years of age. The following exclusions apply: Tobacco, souvenir glasses, ice cream menu, retail items, minibar, room service, promotions and signature venues (Venchi 1878 establishments, Lavazza Coffee Shops, Jean Philippe Chocolate, Coffee, Crepes & Gelato, Starship Club, Hola! Tacos & Cantina), regardless of beverage price. Must be of legal age to consume alcohol - see our terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other conditions & terms may apply. Beverages and liquors may be substituted based on availability and itinerary. 
  • Browse-1 Device: Internet access for 1 device per guest, up to 2 devices per stateroom. Features: Browse the web; Send and receive emails and images; Chat on messenger apps (e.g. WhatsApp). No Video.  Duration: entire cruise. Data limit: unlimited. Yacht Club staterooms do not receive an additional Beverage package and/or Wi-Fi package as they are already included in the Yacht Club experience.
  • Onboard Credit: 
    • 2-4 nights – up to $75 per stateroom on Inside, Oceanview and Balcony; up to $150 per stateroom on Suites & MSC Yacht Club. 
    • 5-9 nights  – up to $125 per stateroom on Inside, Oceanview and Balcony;  up to $250 per stateroom on Suites & MSC Yacht Club. 
    • 10 nights & longer – up to $250  per stateroom on Inside, Oceanview and  Balcony; up to $500 per stateroom on Suites & MSC Yacht Club. 
  • Onboard Credit can be used onboard the ship and on our exclusive private island, Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve. 
  • Onboard credit is nonrefundable, nontransferable, and cannot be redeemed for cash. Other restrictions may apply.
  • Subject to change. 
  • Ships’ registry: Panama and Malta.

Ask for “DRINKS WIFI OBC INCLUDED” promotion when booking. 

Since all passengers in stateroom must have the drinks package all people in the cabin get the appropriate package for their age.  But WiFi is limited to two devices.
Edited by Até

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 7:57 PM, dasi11 said:

I did this a few months ago. I sailed with two other people. We priced it out and it was only ~$120 more to have two balcony rooms, than the three of us sharing one balcony room (after including the OBC, which we used to pay our gratuities). We obviously booked two rooms!

Edited by TheBeardedCruiser
  • Like 2