Ease of access to ports, city centers, and airport questions

Lambo62

Posted (edited)

Hello, we have cruised a few times and have done Mediterranean from Barcelona before so we are looking at the other side of Italy for October 2025. I have done some research on these boards of course, but I am a bit overwhelmed and would appreciate some advice/experiences. 

We have found several itineraries that we like but are curious how easy is it to navigate in Venice. It seems a bit complex to me.  We are thinking of arriving in Marco Polo airport, staying the night before the cruise somewhere, perhaps close to the port (since we are flying from Canada we like to give ourselves comfort time). Post cruise we would like to spend a couple nights in Venice.

The line we are looking at have departures from Venice - Marghera, as well as Trieste - Venice. 

Could someone kindly break down the logistics for either of these ports for what we want to do and perhaps the approximate costs. Example, land at airport, water taxi to ?. On return how to get to Touristy Venice and then to airport?

We are also considering out of Civitavecchia, but it looks like a long train ride if one doesn't get a private transfer $$.

TIA

Edited by Lambo62
spelling

The transport situation in Civi is far easier than any of the ports outside of Venice. We are not sailing out of Venice to avoid those logistical complications, which are discussed extensively here.

• Like 1

If this is an MSC cruise from Marghera they have been handling the boarding process at the Venice cruise terminal, then transporting pax to the Marghera pier.  The easiest option to the Venice cruise terminal from the airport is a cab, about $40, 20 minutes.

If you cruise out of Trieste, the most popular options are train or Flix Bus.  Both take slightly over 2 hrs and cost around 20E.  Cruiseline transfer is another option.

For our cruise out of Trieste we stayed in Mestre upon arrival from Seattle. (We had visited Venice several times before so didn't need to pay Venice hotel prices. Hotels are much cheaper in Mestre, yet Venice is only 15 minutes away by train or bus for under 2E.)  We took the ATVO express bus from VCE to Mestre, 20 minutes/10E pp, checked in, then took the bus into Venice  The next morning we walked to the Mestre train station for the ride to Trieste. I chose Business Class on a Frecci train so that I could choose our seats (near the luggage racks). I bought the tickets in advance for about 20E pp. The journey was 10am - noon.   From the Trieste train station it's a 15 minute walk to the cruise pier, a flat easy walk.  However on arrival it was raining heavily and we had to wait an hr for a cab.  Apparently there is a local bus we could have taken but we didn't know at the time.

After the cruise we used FlixBus to go from Trieste to VCE. (the Trieste train station and FlixBus depot are on the same block)  We had a 6:20am flight the next morning so decided to stay by the airport.  Flix was also around 20E and a little over 2 hrs.

If you prefer to stay in Venice precruise you can catch the train to Trieste from Venice S Lucia station.   In which case it would probably easier to stay in a hotel near Piazzale Roma or the train station.  A cab to PRoma is about $40 or the ATVO express bus is 10E pp.  Either way is a 20 minute ride.

• Like 1

On your Barcelona cruise did you go to Rome?     Both Venice and Rome and worthy cities to spend at least a couple nights in.  If you have been to Rome, then perhaps a cruise out of Venice would be good, as you suggest.   I prefer the 2 or 3 day visit to be pre cruise rather than post cruise.   Simple reason is lost luggage... you will have a couple days for luggage to catch up to you before you cruise if the airline loses it.   This very thing happened to us and it took 3 days to get luggage, but it was just in time before our cruise left.

If you want to spend time in both cities maybe 2 days in Venice, train to Rome, 2 days in Rome, and then transport to Civi.

Have fun... my favorite excursion from an Adriatic cruise was Lake Bled.

Thanks for the replies, upon further research i think we will find a cruise out of Civitavecchia. Yes we have been to Rome a few times, but there is always so many things to see. Venice is still on our bucket list, but probably for a visit instead of cruising out of.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 10:18 AM, mapleleaves said:

If this is an MSC cruise from Marghera they have been handling the boarding process at the Venice cruise terminal, then transporting pax to the Marghera pier.  The easiest option to the Venice cruise terminal from the airport is a cab, about $40, 20 minutes.

If you cruise out of Trieste, the most popular options are train or Flix Bus.  Both take slightly over 2 hrs and cost around 20E.  Cruiseline transfer is another option.

For our cruise out of Trieste we stayed in Mestre upon arrival from Seattle. (We had visited Venice several times before so didn't need to pay Venice hotel prices. Hotels are much cheaper in Mestre, yet Venice is only 15 minutes away by train or bus for under 2E.)  We took the ATVO express bus from VCE to Mestre, 20 minutes/10E pp, checked in, then took the bus into Venice  The next morning we walked to the Mestre train station for the ride to Trieste. I chose Business Class on a Frecci train so that I could choose our seats (near the luggage racks). I bought the tickets in advance for about 20E pp. The journey was 10am - noon.   From the Trieste train station it's a 15 minute walk to the cruise pier, a flat easy walk.  However on arrival it was raining heavily and we had to wait an hr for a cab.  Apparently there is a local bus we could have taken but we didn't know at the time.

After the cruise we used FlixBus to go from Trieste to VCE. (the Trieste train station and FlixBus depot are on the same block)  We had a 6:20am flight the next morning so decided to stay by the airport.  Flix was also around 20E and a little over 2 hrs.

If you prefer to stay in Venice precruise you can catch the train to Trieste from Venice S Lucia station.   In which case it would probably easier to stay in a hotel near Piazzale Roma or the train station.  A cab to PRoma is about $40 or the ATVO express bus is 10E pp.  Either way is a 20 minute ride.

Edited by pinksuit
Accident