Live from the Land of Princess

4 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

this is my favourite photo from today and it is for you.

Thank you.

Thank you for writing words of care.

Thank you for reading and for enjoying and for understanding.

Thank you for sharing.

I read your post so many times last night and today.

Keep inviting people in. I always tell my students to look for the people who need to be invited in. Thank you for noticing us and including us.

I hope your healing goes well!

Hi Yvonne,

I had read your increasingly sad words last night which concerned me and I was just about to drift off to a sound sleep when I said “No, this is the moment that I need to write to Yvonne who doesn’t know me!” I’m glad that my words helped you as all of your words (and photos) have been helping me. As I mentioned, I am getting lots of bed rest over many weeks which “extroverted/social me” is not accustomed to at all. As the hours pass by, I find myself with time to consider the meaning of life, something man has pondered since the beginning of time. And it isn’t too hard coming up with an answer. For me, we are here on this earth to help our fellow human beings on their journey and this is why I reached out to you from across the pond. In case you really needed to hear from someone.

I am so glad your Invergorden day was such a beautiful experience…it is what we all here have been hoping for on your behalf. Thank you for the gorgeous photo you sent me…what great detail! Love it!

There is a surname that is in a few of your photos that you said means something to you. It means something pretty special to me too and I enjoyed seeing it displayed. 😊

Looking forward to more of your live reports! 👍

Eleanor Rigby

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

Beautifully expressed and so true 

Hi Muckyduckway,

Thank you for your kind words! I believe you mentioned that you are from Northern Ireland. If I could ask a favor. Over a hundred years ago I have ancestors who lived in Dungannon, County Tyrone. I know nothing about this area but maybe you do. Is it nice, worth visiting one day? Don’t mean to hijack this thread …just a few words will suffice. Thanks so much. ~ Eleanor Rigby

Edited by Eleanor Rigby 14
Spelling
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Eleanor Rigby 14 said:

Hi Muckyduckway,

Thank you for your kind words! I believe you mentioned that you are from Northern Ireland. If I could ask a favor. Over a hundred years ago I have ancestors who lived in Dungannon, County Tyrone. I know nothing about this area but maybe you do. Is it nice, worth visiting one day? Don’t mean to hijack this thread …just a few words will suffice. Thanks so much. ~ Eleanor Rigby

No problem, always happy to talk about Northern Ireland.  I don't think I would suggest Dungannon as a destination by itself unless you were staying with family or doing some serious genealogical research. It's a pleasant market town with some historical significance, being the seat of the O'Neill clan and birthplace of the golfer Darren Clarke.

However, everywhere in Northern Ireland is close to everywhere else! You can drive from one end to the other in less than three hours (although the number of tractors, small towns, sheep and Sunday drivers you encounter can extend this considerably). So if you ever decide to visit I would suggest you do so as part of a road trip, including the North Coast, Belfast and Enniskillen (for Lough Erne).

All of this pre-supposes you enjoy bucolic scenery and have an interest in the culture and history of the area. For a taste of the South, you could also include Donegal (which lies west!)

A more ambitious trip would also include Dublin, Wicklow, Galway, the list goes on.

Circling back to your original question, I visit Dungannon occasionally - there's a lovely park with a small lake that attracts locals for walks in all weathers but is particularly nice in the sunshine. We also call in to a cafe on the outskirts that bakes all their own goods for delicious treats, if we happen to be passing!!!!

So I would be happy to send you some photos or check out any questions you might have, if it is within my reach to do so.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:
6 hours ago, Eleanor Rigby 14 said:

No problem, always happy to talk about Northern Ireland.

Your description of the area is perfect and very helpful to me, M! And my DH has ancestors somewhere in Donegal so it’s a good idea to rent a car so we can visit both towns and everything in between. If only we could get accustomed to driving on “the wrong side of the road”! Haha! Thanks again! ~ Eleanor Rigby

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Eleanor Rigby 14 said:

Your description of the area is perfect and very helpful to me, M! And my DH has ancestors somewhere in Donegal so it’s a good idea to rent a car so we can visit both towns and everything in between. If only we could get accustomed to driving on “the wrong side of the road”! Haha! Thanks again! ~ Eleanor Rigby

Apologies to Yvonne - hoping you understand that the librarian in me is hard to suppress!!

Eleanor, if you do visit with the intention of soaking in the homelands of you and your husband's ancestors, do your research early.  Our Heritage libraries in Northern Ireland can be contacted by email and if you have specific names, dates, events they may be able to provide you with information that will save you a great deal of vacation time.

They also try to help visitors who are keen to find out as much as possible about their ancestry, but they are no substitute for genealogists whose expertise far exceeds that of our most experienced and helpful staff.

The unfortunate reality is that many emigrants did not or could not accurately record the dates and places of their origin, so their descendents believe "facts" that may lead them down the wrong path, better to be sure before you travel.

When you actually arrive (if you are interested, best to make an appointment) they have many old newspapers both bound and on microfilm, which can provide a tangible glimpse into life stories through photos and contemporary news articles which, if available, do much to enhance your understanding of their lives, and the country as it was when they lived there, not to mention how much it will strengthen the connection you feel to your roots.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and health to enjoy all future travels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yvonne, you have inspired me to be more proactive when checking out libraries while on holiday. I usually just take a photo of the exterior and then have a surreptitious browse. I have had a few chats, but usually only when the library is too small not to!  I will attempt to channel your approach in future.

Libraries need more appreciation in order to keep their very important place in communities.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Muckyduckway said:

Eleanor, if you do visit with the intention of soaking in the homelands of you and your husband's ancestors, do your research early.  Our Heritage libraries in Northern Ireland can be contacted by email and if you have specific names, dates, events they may be able to provide you with information that will save you a great deal of vacation time.

Great suggestions, M! Very helpful!

Even though I am American it is my understanding that I can also claim Irish citizenship and passport because I have a parent who was born in Ireland. I just need to file the proper paperwork and pay the required fees. Must get working on that! ☘️

• Like 2

13 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

IMG_1507.thumb.jpeg.98e6a87d3148ed24f697adfdc8c6d59a.jpeg

Gorgeous flowers, Yvonne! I love these captchas! So much more enjoyable than the ones that enable you to make a purchase of tickets online and somehow I always miss finding part of a motorcycle or traffic light.

Forgot to mention how my friend and I are still chuckling over how you cleaned your cabin bathroom floor with your own Lysol wipes which definitely showed dirt on the wipes and then I guess it was a cabin steward or supervisor later told you that it wasn’t dirt on the floor, it was grout! Reminded me of that old saying “Don’t pee on my shoes and then tell me it’s raining!”

Edited by Eleanor Rigby 14
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

I’m not sure how I stumbled upon this review but I’m so glad I did. The pictures and commentary are so beautiful. I’ve enjoyed every minute. Also I’m so glad you’ve been free to share the good and the bad about your experience with no judgment. I plan to go back and read every one of your trip reports! It will help so I won’t be sad when this one is over!

My dad has dementia and his health is the reason I haven’t cruised post-Covid. I would give anything to be able to take him somewhere to see the world. I know I don’t have to tell you to enjoy every moment with him. Enjoy the rest of your wonderful cruise and safe travels home. 

• Like 7

There's just so much in your photos and posts that I react to, I end up just liking instead of responding because I just can't precis and I would get kicked off the boards if i wrote everything I want.

So this time I'm allowing myself a couple of comments.

Cat story - so kind and sweet and itch-inducing!

Me, "that's not clootie dumplings, looks more like cheese scones" zooms in for a closer look "ahhh, that's because they ARE cheese scones".

Great wall art at the station.

Wonder what that woman meant by "weird", I mean I know what weird means and it just doesn't seem in any way applicable to  Invergordon, or most towns really.

PS apologies for being so long-winded on my off-topic posts. I will desist.

Edited by Muckyduckway
  • Like 6

Hi Sweetie,

As always, I pray that all is as well as possible for you and for Dad.

It is another very hot smoky day in the Pacific Northwest.  Way to many wildfires, not enough firefighters, equipment and money.  Soon many of the college age firefighters will be heading back to school.

My local school district is beginning the new school year early on the 21st of August.  For many years, school has started after Labor Day (1st Monday of September).

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG

Love and prayers always

8 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

No problem, always happy to talk about Northern Ireland.  I don't think I would suggest Dungannon as a destination by itself unless you were staying with family or doing some serious genealogical research. It's a pleasant market town with some historical significance, being the seat of the O'Neill clan and birthplace of the golfer Darren Clarke.

However, everywhere in Northern Ireland is close to everywhere else! You can drive from one end to the other in less than three hours (although the number of tractors, small towns, sheep and Sunday drivers you encounter can extend this considerably). So if you ever decide to visit I would suggest you do so as part of a road trip, including the North Coast, Belfast and Enniskillen (for Lough Erne).

All of this pre-supposes you enjoy bucolic scenery and have an interest in the culture and history of the area. For a taste of the South, you could also include Donegal (which lies west!)

A more ambitious trip would also include Dublin, Wicklow, Galway, the list goes on.

Circling back to your original question, I visit Dungannon occasionally - there's a lovely park with a small lake that attracts locals for walks in all weathers but is particularly nice in the sunshine. We also call in to a cafe on the outskirts that bakes all their own goods for delicious treats, if we happen to be passing!!!!

So I would be happy to send you some photos or check out any questions you might have, if it is within my reach to do so.

You are welcome to post photos here. I would love to see pictures of Northern Ireland.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

And I thought they couldn't top the railway station in Porto, Portugal.  Those pics you have are fabulous.

Aren’t those murals incredible?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Eleanor Rigby 14 said:

Gorgeous flowers, Yvonne! I love these captchas! So much more enjoyable than the ones that enable you to make a purchase of tickets online and somehow I always miss finding part of a motorcycle or traffic light.

Forgot to mention how my friend and I are still chuckling over how you cleaned your cabin bathroom floor with your own Lysol wipes which definitely showed dirt on the wipes and then I guess it was a cabin steward or supervisor later told you that it wasn’t dirt on the floor, it was grout! Reminded me of that old saying “Don’t pee on my shoes and then tell me it’s raining!”

This made me laugh! I’ve taught for 27 years. So many kindergarten boys come and ask me to tie their shoelaces. They are always wet, even when it isn’t raining!

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Just wanted to chime in and say how very sorry I am that the Regal staff has been less than stellar. Seems that a lot has changed in the two years since we were on her. Another poster mentioned that this lax (appearing) attitude rolls down from the top. And that could very well be. When I was on the Ruby Princess a couple years ago I got to thinking that the captain (whose name I have somehow forgotten...but would recognize if I heard it...) wasn't keeping things in line as much as I had experienced on other Princess ships. Again, that's my subjective opinion,,,and you know what that's worth...lol.

But I could see that you were keeping a positive attitude and that your pictures reflected that. They have been consistently outstanding!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beachiekeen said:

I’m not sure how I stumbled upon this review but I’m so glad I did. The pictures and commentary are so beautiful. I’ve enjoyed every minute. Also I’m so glad you’ve been free to share the good and the bad about your experience with no judgment. I plan to go back and read every one of your trip reports! It will help so I won’t be sad when this one is over!

My dad has dementia and his health is the reason I haven’t cruised post-Covid. I would give anything to be able to take him somewhere to see the world. I know I don’t have to tell you to enjoy every moment with him. Enjoy the rest of your wonderful cruise and safe travels home. 

Thank you for reading!

Have you taken your dad on a cruise before and do you think he could manage a cruise? 
Alaska is a good one because you can see so much from the ship. 

If you need any tips for traveling with someone with dementia I have a few and so does @libtrek

3 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

There's just so much in your photos and posts that I react to, I end up just liking instead of responding because I just can't precis and I would get kicked off the boards if i wrote everything I want.

So this time I'm allowing myself a couple of comments.

Cat story - so kind and sweet and itch-inducing!

Me, "that's not clootie dumplings, looks more like cheese scones" zooms in for a closer look "ahhh, that's because they ARE cheese scones".

Great wall art at the station.

Wonder what that woman meant by "weird", I mean I know what weird means and it just doesn't seem in any way applicable to  Invergordon, or most towns really.

PS apologies for being so long-winded on my off-topic posts. I will desist.

Please don’t apologize! You have contributed so much to this thread! Your kindness, your knowledge and your generosity with your time are so appreciated.

Share away!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yvonne does Edinburgh on foot and wears a hole in her shoe:

IMG_1553.thumb.jpeg.8950a435bcc3a5e092702d1986a498bf.jpeg

I went to an artisan fair! This is my favourite thing to do! It was wonderful. I wish I had bought something.

IMG_1681.thumb.jpeg.b61de7cad5c9e913a2f3f4fd6b9c54d0.jpeg

Important statue of someone with bird on top, just the way I like it

IMG_1565.thumb.jpeg.12be8f73342b19d757a223453d4dc123.jpeg

IMG_1569.thumb.jpeg.a132f7817aeb64447d68eb9d51de7640.jpeg

IMG_1551.thumb.jpeg.a16337a306696ba369fcbe386030d3fd.jpeg

IMG_1552.thumb.jpeg.616389ff20aec72a2d2c7d9803ca0d99.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 19

Posted (edited)

I had two must-do items today. The first was the Writers’ Museum.  Please, please, please don’t miss this if you go to Edinburgh.

IMG_1635.thumb.jpeg.bb71fdeb4078a72c7f4bfdbe31a2abf0.jpeg

IMG_1636.thumb.jpeg.43f567c37da1260549e359855c5b8f72.jpeg

IMG_1637.thumb.jpeg.ad4d067d835cf28d405c30640bc9b740.jpeg

IMG_1638.thumb.jpeg.f98232d17b35a8aa90ef5e88acfb284a.jpeg

This door goes up in the ceiling!

IMG_1640.thumb.jpeg.10cf03fcf8ed27d56ed1bbf4be4376bb.jpeg

IMG_1641.thumb.jpeg.b67ad451b933713a482284c8260c7f03.jpeg

IMG_1644.thumb.jpeg.a90eecd262e6250397c8a2bf175a464c.jpeg

IMG_1646.thumb.jpeg.a934d06401dc9a936ce425410ea61a2d.jpeg

IMG_1647.thumb.jpeg.cacf211438a673ee677cd7deffb49bce.jpeg

My home is under construction while I’m away. I am going to email my contractor and ask him to make a little adjustment to the 11th step

IMG_1648.thumb.jpeg.e0797d4a167f74c8ac67527a5e8f4ddf.jpeg

IMG_1649.thumb.jpeg.b79c227899192cd80864b8698d06326b.jpeg

IMG_1643.jpeg

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 15

48 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Thank you for reading!

Have you taken your dad on a cruise before and do you think he could manage a cruise? 
Alaska is a good one because you can see so much from the ship. 

If you need any tips for traveling with someone with dementia I have a few and so does @libtrek

My dad is much further along in his journey and has mobility issues too, but thank you! 

• Like 1