Self Touring Nosy Be, Madagascar?

Hello,

We be visiting Nosy Be in May next year, and will have from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM there (actually, less time since this will be a tender port).  We looked at the ship provided excursions and not much appeals, so we are wondering if it is possible/safe to self-explore, perhaps taking a taxi to see the sights?

Also, any recommendations for what to do in this port?

Thanks,

We were in Nosy Be just before Covid.  One member of our cruise critic rollcall booked a private excursion to see the lemurs.  We had a great day.  As we were walking to see the lemus, the ship excursion group was right next to us.  They gave us time to wander about also.

35 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

We were in Nosy Be just before Covid.  One member of our cruise critic rollcall booked a private excursion to see the lemurs.  We had a great day.  As we were walking to see the lemus, the ship excursion group was right next to us.  They gave us time to wander about also.

Thanks, By chance do you have info about who the excursion was booked with?

29 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

I went back into my notes...the excursion was booked with Madagascar Travel and Tours.  Anthony booked with Sasha O'Neal.  Group of 12....from them... You will have a private boat and transfer for the group so no need to wait for a public one and waste time. It will also have lifejackets.  Itinerary most likely will be...we will probably pick yo all up around 1 pm in private vehicles and take you straight to the port where the private boat will await you for the transfer to Nosy Komba. The transfer by boat is around 20-30 mins. You will have about 2 hours to see the island and will spend your time there.  It is hard to avoid those locals selling handicrafts but if anyone wants to buy in your group, you are welcome, although that would not be a stopping point and will come at the end only.  Then about 3:30-4pm the boat will  take you back  to the island of Nosy Be and on to the ship.  "

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

I see you are doing oceania Singapore to capetown....we did their  Capetown to Singapore....was wonderful 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2024 at 5:42 PM, Mrs f. said:

I went back into my notes...the excursion was booked with Madagascar Travel and Tours.  Anthony booked with Sasha O'Neal.  Group of 12....from them... You will have a private boat and transfer for the group so no need to wait for a public one and waste time. It will also have lifejackets.  Itinerary most likely will be...we will probably pick yo all up around 1 pm in private vehicles and take you straight to the port where the private boat will await you for the transfer to Nosy Komba. The transfer by boat is around 20-30 mins. You will have about 2 hours to see the island and will spend your time there.  It is hard to avoid those locals selling handicrafts but if anyone wants to buy in your group, you are welcome, although that would not be a stopping point and will come at the end only.  Then about 3:30-4pm the boat will  take you back  to the island of Nosy Be and on to the ship.  "

Hope this helps.

Thank you. I have messaged them.
 Your tour seems to be very short, we will be there all day so hopefully they can do something for us easily. Did you see many lemurs? Did you recall the cost?  

4 minutes ago, little britain said:

Your tour seems to be very short, we will be there all day so hopefully they can do something for us easily. Did you see many lemurs? Did you recall the cost?  

They took us to the lemurs.  We were offered the chance to hold a lemur. Some people.we walkedcaling a path and there were other animals. We walked around the area. Saw the school. Saw homes as we walked.  Very interesting. Don't remember the cost...will try to check.  We were a group of 10 that was put together by a rollcall member. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

They took us to the lemurs.  We were offered the chance to hold a lemur. Some people.we walkedcaling a path and there were other animals. We walked around the area. Saw the school. Saw homes as we walked.  Very interesting. Don't remember the cost...will try to check.  We were a group of 10 that was put together by a rollcall member. 

They have replied already ( on a Sunday!) - impressed so far 👍

On 7/14/2024 at 4:38 AM, little britain said:

We were only in port for 6 hours. I'm sure we paid considerably less than the ship's tour.....oh and looking at my photos of the boat that took us to/from island,  we were all wearing life jackets.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

We were only in port for 6 hours. I'm sure we paid considerably less than the ship's tour.....oh and looking at my photos of the boat that took us to/from island,  we were all wearing life jackets.

Thanks 🙏 

How did you organise paying individually, as online the cheaper price is for groups of 4+ and of course we are all CC strangers?!  I have asked him if we can pay cash on the day 

I cannot remember... usually one of three ways. Either we all sent Anthony the organizer, a check, or we paid individually to the company, or we paid on day of tour.  Ask the company. Often they have a link where everyone can pay them individually