12 night Norway and Arctic Circle on Apex with Pre- Cruise in the New Forest ( maybe live!)

Just discovered your post and I’m looking forward to enjoying along with everyone else. The sailing itinerary looks amazing and I’m also quite interested in your pre cruise travels. You have a wonderful writing style and your accompanying photos complete the picture! Thanks so much for doing this live trip report! 🥂 

• Like 1

I’m SO ready to follow you🤩

Welcome to Norway 🇳🇴 

as for pricing, it’s almost for free now😂😂😂 the NOK is so weak against EUR/USD🫥

• Haha 1

Looking forward to your review, we’re on board in just over a month doing the Fjords sailing. Had the itinerary cancelled twice in 2020 and 21.

Looking forward to your review. We’re doing a very similar cruise next June on the Apex. Heading to Alaska tomorrow so it will be interesting to compare the scenery on both cruises. 

Brothers in Brockenhurst

While the little darlings slept, Mr Darcy and I took our morning constitution to partake in some tea and to drop off some receptacles from last night’s refreshments. It’s so easy with all the Georgian and Regency buildings in Lymington to think you’ve stepped into a Jane Austen novel. Alas, it was not Mr Darcy but DH on my arm and we went for a coffee and to drop off some empties at the bottle bank🤦‍♀️

Our plan for today was Sunday lunch in Brockenhurst with DH’s brother and then a walk in the New Forest. My brother-in- law lives in Croydon and we haven’t seen him for 2 years so this was the perfect opportunity to meet up. 

Before lunch we had a quick walk in the village - again very quaint. We walked down to the famous water splash or ford, which was not that impressive hence no photo. My brother-in-law said it was more like a burst pipe😂

We had a fantastic lunch in ‘The Huntsman’ . I’d recommend it and they had a good selection of gf and vegan. The presentation of the roast dinner was the best I have seen in a long time. By now the sun was peeking out behind the clouds so we moved outside to have some drinks in various venues around the village.

IMG_5847.thumb.jpeg.663ed27d676350d28e9fd38cce66c653.jpeg

The two brothers.

IMG_5845.thumb.jpeg.77c72186937cb1ca5f8fc84547bdb06e.jpeg

Me, DD1 with a Hugo Spritz getting our holiday off to a great start. 

Im afraid those are the only photos from today as we decided to ditch our planned walk and spend more time chatting. Family first😀

We are now all packed and ready for our cruise tomorrow. I hope to give regular updates but if I don’t it’s because a) I’m having way too much fun or b) The WiFi is giving me grief , although I do have roaming in Norway. That’s why it’s maybe live. I  will try to answer any questions people have as I realise lots of you are doing this cruise next year. My main focus will be ports over the ship. But please don’t panic if I am MIA for a few days. I promise to continue when I get home but hopefully from the cruise if at all possible.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, barneyboy said:

Looking forward to your review. We’re doing a very similar cruise next June on the Apex. Heading to Alaska tomorrow so it will be interesting to compare the scenery on both cruises. 

We have also cruised to Alaska. I think Alaska is better for wildlife and glaciers but Norway has better scenery, culture and history. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Great start .. following along for the ride, we are on Apex in September . Absolutely love Norway and just got back from 2 weeks there on Anthem , did a lot of hiking myself . 

We visit  Brockenhurst and Lymington when staying in Southampton,  love seeing the 

ponies roaming around everywhere and especially when the foals are born.  Lymington I love for the charity shops , got some bargains there myself and sitting on the waterfront watching the yachting and activities in the sun is bliss.  Oh, and there is a Wetherspoons in Lymington too for cheap drinks 😆 

Happy cruise day for tomorrow. 

Edited by heatherb1958

More About Lymington

I promise I don’t work for the Lymington tourist board but here’s a few things I forgot to say that might tempt anybody to spend a few days here. 

On Saturday mornings the whole high street is closed for a market. We took a look early on yesterday and you could get anything from wire cutters to knitted plant pots.

Our Airbnb looks out onto this street and there’s a famous restaurant called The Elderlower. Foodies travel out for London to try it. Tasting menu is cheaper than Eden by a long way. They don’t cater for dietary restrictions, so sadly not for us.

IMG_5826.thumb.jpeg.641b5756c0f2852cf1d246f246da4591.jpeg

IMG_5838.thumb.jpeg.abfe711882345cb7680057d303f5e94c.jpeg

View from our kitchen window. Look at the slopping roofs. Our floorboards slope too, I always feel like I’ve had one too many!

I know some people  love a Hoho bus, well there’s actually a New Forest one, which surprised me. It runs in summer only and goes through Lymington. Who knew?

IMG_5839.jpeg

• Like 11

19 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

@heatherb1958 The charity shops here are amazing. I didn’t think anywhere could beat St Andrews for that but Lymington has the edge. 

I am half Scottish, father from Edinburgh , I lived in St. Andrews and Leuchars for a while as a kid.  Love St. Andrews but not been for a long long time. Lymington is just stunning too. 

, pronounced Limmington not Lime ington.  😁😁

Hi folks,

Just to say, I will try and get caught up hopefully at  some point during the cruise but if not you’ll get a comprehensive review when I’m back home.  I tried to post yesterday but had issues loading photos.  I have  taken plenty of notes and copious amounts of photos.  Had an amazing first day in port in Stavanger today. We did a RIB along Lysefjord with Fjordevents. Weather has been️ so far but has to improve from tomorrow😎 More in detail later. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Day 1 Embarkation

Our  cheap skate ways continued with probably the cheapest way ever getting to the port. We caught the local bus from Lymimgton  straight to Southampton Central for a grand total of £2 each. Then from the station it was an easy,  flat 10- 15 min walk to the port terminal. It was Horizon, which I think is unusual for Celebrity which usually goes from City Terminal. For those who don’t want to walk there were plenty taxis waiting at the station. Believe it or not, we stepped off the bus at 5 past 11 and were on board by quarter to 12. Embarkation went so smoothly. 

We have an inside cabin on deck 12 - no judgement please 😂 - the money we saved by not having a veranda has meant me and DH can go on our silver wedding anniversary cruise on the Ascent in August. I know 2 cruises in 2 months, this cruising lark is becoming an expensive habit.

IMG_5858.thumb.jpeg.45252701ec0ff66fb19506e8ed2523c5.jpeg

IMG_5859.thumb.jpeg.a7f75113a204b8fc2f1653a0d6f5b1b4.jpeg

Views of our inside cabin.

First impressions are it’s going to be a busy ship. So far demographics observed are a lot older than we have been used to on past cruises. Let’s just say I don’t think the club will be bouncing at 2am! There are some teens and young adults but barely any young children. I see enough of them at work anyway so that’s perfectly fine with me. Quite a few with sticks or scooters which I find odd as to get the best of Norway I think you need to be in the outdoors exploring, not seeing it from a bus. But I understand for some this is a bucket list cruise. 

After lunch at the buffet, we went for coffee at Al Bacio, our favourite place on the ship. It felt like we were home. Apex was our first Celebrity ship so we feel we know it well. Then we went to check out the gym. DH and DD2 walked straight onto table tennis, unheard of on our last cruise, DD1 went  for a run on deck in the rain ( she ran the Edinburgh marathon in May and is doing the Glasgow half marathon in October so will run anywhere, anytime) and I tried to psych myself into going to unpack. 

IMG_5856.thumb.jpeg.437ed2251c5b9cec1fc1bbe7706e7251.jpeg

Table tennis is in a sheltered spot on deck 15.

IMG_5854.thumb.jpeg.33d31debdb13a8bdab88ed88e06cdd07.jpeg

IMG_5852.thumb.jpeg.5a076b9b736da82e4dd80e50ca7957ab.jpeg

IMG_5851.thumb.jpeg.8e5af77b553c772f5433995c67f6ef1b.jpeg

View of Eden from the ramp. 

IMG_5855.thumb.jpeg.356b27fa8b6693c62dde23de9679f411.jpeg

The weird corridor to Eden. 

To preempt a couple of questions I know people will ask: family hours in the solarium are 5-7pm and although I thought you could really go to any of the restaurants, we actually have an assigned table for early seating. We will see how that pans out. 

We enjoy going to the shows and on night 1 there was a Motown group called Soulwaves. The female singer did a great Diana Ross and had played her in the West End. Despite their energy, not much was reciprocated from the crowd. Then we went to Night of the Chill in Eden where great jazz group from Argentina were playing. Some of the musicians on board are really talented. 

Day 2 - Sea Day

Unfortunately today the weather was atrocious so seating inside the ship was at a premium all day. I tried the walking track but it was 1 step forwards, 2 back. 

We just spent the day doing lots of activities. There really is something for everyone. Me and DD1 went to morning stretch and workout of day. It’s not for the unfit - I need to warm up more before attempting pigeon pose!!! CD Alex did a great music trivia called jukebox hero . We put in a good showing but there’s always one team of show offs that get full marks. We wanted to do archery but the queue  for it was massive. Adverse weather and a nearly sold out cruise are having an impact. Even all the usual quiet, hidden spots were busy. 

IMG_5866.thumb.jpeg.e934cdb89ce5d82e02f00daf2075066e.jpeg

IMG_5864.thumb.jpeg.f364d7e59df3a6811a656454e3c0b77d.jpeg

All dressed up for chic night. 

After dinner we went to see pianist Harrison Treble in the theatre. We’ve seen him before and he is a class act . See him if you get the chance. From one show to another - Caravan in the Club. Caravan is more of an intimate, cabaret show and was really excellent. I think it’s slightly updated since we last saw it but the singing and dancing was on point. We gambled that the late night showing would be quieter as it’s past most people’s bedtime on this cruise and we were right. But you probably have to show up early for a good seat. Late nights do seem a touch quieter than on our past cruises. 

IMG_5905.jpeg

IMG_5908.jpeg

IMG_5907.jpeg

IMG_5906.jpeg

Edited by Scottishclover
  • Like 16

47 minutes ago, Scottishclover said:

Day 1 Embarkation

Our  cheap skate ways continued with probably the cheapest way ever getting to the port. We caught the local bus from Lymimgton  straight to Southampton Central for a grand total of £2 each. Then from the station it was an easy,  flat 10- 15 min walk to the port terminal. It was Horizon, which I think is unusual for Celebrity which usually goes from City Terminal. For those who don’t want to walk there were plenty taxis waiting at the station. Believe it or not, we stepped off the bus at 5 past 11 and were on board by quarter to 12. Embarkation went so smoothly. 

We have an inside cabin on deck 12 - no judgement please 😂 - the money we saved by not having a veranda has meant me and DH can go on our silver wedding anniversary cruise on the Ascent in August. I know 2 cruises in 2 months, this cruising lark is becoming an expensive habit.

IMG_5858.thumb.jpeg.45252701ec0ff66fb19506e8ed2523c5.jpeg

IMG_5859.thumb.jpeg.a7f75113a204b8fc2f1653a0d6f5b1b4.jpeg

Views of our inside cabin.

First impressions are it’s going to be a busy ship. So far demographics observed are a lot older than we have been used to on past cruises. Let’s just say I don’t think the club will be bouncing at 2am! There are some teens and young adults but barely any young children. I see enough of them at work anyway so that’s perfectly fine with me. Quite a few with sticks or scooters which I find odd as to get the best of Norway I think you need to be in the outdoors exploring, not seeing it from a bus. But I understand for some this is a bucket list cruise. 

After lunch at the buffet, we went for coffee at Al Bacio, our favourite place on the ship. It felt like we were home. Apex was our first Celebrity ship so we feel we know it well. Then we went to check out the gym. DH and DD2 walked straight onto table tennis, unheard of on our last cruise, DD1 went  for a run on deck in the rain ( she ran the Edinburgh marathon in May and is doing the Glasgow half marathon in October so will run anywhere, anytime) and I tried to psych myself into going to unpack. 

IMG_5856.thumb.jpeg.437ed2251c5b9cec1fc1bbe7706e7251.jpeg

Table tennis is in a sheltered spot on deck 15.

IMG_5854.thumb.jpeg.33d31debdb13a8bdab88ed88e06cdd07.jpeg

IMG_5852.thumb.jpeg.5a076b9b736da82e4dd80e50ca7957ab.jpeg

IMG_5851.thumb.jpeg.8e5af77b553c772f5433995c67f6ef1b.jpeg

View of Eden from the ramp. 

IMG_5855.thumb.jpeg.356b27fa8b6693c62dde23de9679f411.jpeg

The weird corridor to Eden. 

To preempt a couple of questions I know people will ask: family hours in the solarium are 5-7pm and although I thought you could really go to any of the restaurants, we actually have an assigned table for early seating. We will see how that pans out. 

We enjoy going to the shows and on night 1 there was a Motown group called Soulwaves. The female singer did a great Diana Ross and had played her in the West End. Despite their energy, not much was reciprocated from the crowd. Then we went to Night of the Chill in Eden where great jazz group from Argentina were playing. Some of the musicians on board are really talented. 

Day 2 - Sea Day

Unfortunately today the weather was atrocious so seating inside the ship was at a premium all day. I tried the walking track but it was 1 step forwards, 2 back. 

We just spent the day doing lots of activities. There really is something for everyone. Me and DD1 went to morning stretch and workout of day. It’s not for the unfit - I need to warm up more before attempting pigeon pose!!! CD Alex did a great music trivia called jukebox hero . We put in a good showing but there’s always one team of show offs that get full marks. We wanted to do archery but the queue  for it was massive. Adverse weather and a nearly sold out cruise are having an impact. Even all the usual quiet, hidden spots were busy. 

IMG_5866.thumb.jpeg.e934cdb89ce5d82e02f00daf2075066e.jpeg

IMG_5864.thumb.jpeg.f364d7e59df3a6811a656454e3c0b77d.jpeg

All dressed up for chic night. 

After dinner we went to see pianist Harrison Treble in the theatre. We’ve seen him before and he is a class act . See him if you get the chance. From one show to another - Caravan in the Club. Caravan is more of an intimate, cabaret show and was really excellent. I think it’s slightly updated since we last saw it but the singing and dancing was on point. We gambled that the late night showing would be quieter as it’s past most people’s bedtime on this cruise and we were right. But you probably have to show up early for a good seat. Late nights do seem a touch quieter than on our past cruises. 

IMG_5905.jpeg

IMG_5908.jpeg

IMG_5907.jpeg

IMG_5906.jpeg

We are on a similar cruise in June 2025 so looking forward to your thoughts on the ship and the ports.

I am enjoying your posts a lot and the pictures too. I'm on the Apex after you going to Norway too. I am looking forward to get lost hiking in the Fjords.

Can I ask if the sofa bed is comfortable and how you are finding sleeping 4 in the same cabin? Apologies, if you have 2 cabins and I misunderstood it. Thanks!

6 hours ago, flora_76 said:

I am enjoying your posts a lot and the pictures too. I'm on the Apex after you going to Norway too. I am looking forward to get lost hiking in the Fjords.

Can I ask if the sofa bed is comfortable and how you are finding sleeping 4 in the same cabin? Apologies, if you have 2 cabins and I misunderstood it. Thanks!

Our daughters call the sofa bed ‘a rock and a hard place’😂 Still, if they want to tag along they have to suffer it. The trundle is comfier than the sofa section. It gets made up at turndown. There isn’t a lot of room to open the drawers once the trundle is out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Day 3 Stavanger 

What we did :RIB tour along Lysefjord with Fjordevents 

Other options: Pulpit Rock hike, boat trip along the Fjord, Petroleum Museum, Canning Museum, Hoho, Swords in the Rock monument.

Need to know: you dock right in town. The tourist information is directly at the ship and all the boat tours are on the same quay. Everything is super walkable. 

We woke  up in our first port of call to more rain. It’s been raining  constantly since boarding and the only thing keeping our spirits up was the promise of sun in the Arctic Circle. 
IMG_5893.thumb.jpeg.1d37263ac92abaecd5a49cab9ccafd3b.jpeg

This is where you dock.

We booked our RIB tour with Fjordevents. for fraction of price with Celebrity . I know what you’re thinking - hikers and we’re not doing the Pulpit Rock. Well we’ve done it before in 2016 so wanted something different. We got all geared up with suits, ponchos, life jackets,  goggles and gloves. Yes we got the whole caboodle. It was a bit of overkill I think as the weather improved quite quickly into the tour. We toured with Simon, who in DH’s words was just too handsome, yes you read that right, they were DH’s words not mine😂 I’m sure all the women on the RIB were all a quiver!! It was about half an hour until we reached the fjord and had a couple of stops at waterfalls and under Pulpit Rock rock which looked tiny from below. It’s funny seeing it from a different perspective as  it’s massive when you are up top. This is a MUST DO tour. We all loved it. The scenery was just stunning but there was a bit of a thrill too. For a more sedate journey, you can also take a boat tour along the fjord.

IMG_2816.thumb.jpeg.6ac21142fbedd4bae49f2896f8f60e52.jpeg

The starting point for the trip was about 100m from the ship. Book this independently, not through the ship. You will save$$$.

IMG_2859.thumb.jpeg.bf827f73dc979805d8600809b0c071e8.jpeg

Entrance to Lysefjord. 

IMG_5886.thumb.jpeg.2ccb8a58dd98fcc834e8c5d1db515256.jpeg

Looking up to the Pulpit Rock

IMG_5889.thumb.jpeg.d6e35aad6eb4a230e7d642bb93e88621.jpeg

Whisky Falls, I think. If you sit at the front of the RIB you get an impromptu shower here.

Once back in town, we admired all the white clapperboard houses in Old Stavanger then went to Ovre Holmgaten otherwise known as “ that colourful street on instagram” by the DDs. There’s lots of interesting street art in the town too. 

IMG_2897.thumb.jpeg.a75159a4ddbdf55bbcf6d19e1b6b4be5.jpeg

Ovre Holmgaten

IMG_5898.thumb.jpeg.692cf412b65acbd0c53d34bdb726babd.jpeg

IMG_5910.thumb.jpeg.85056cf4e0bd9c06b5266df09509d73b.jpeg
Some of my favourite street art.

IMG_2903.thumb.jpeg.bbafada1e4c4b7133318f59736b57b0d.jpegIMG_5906.thumb.jpeg.6d7e9256a897fe7b6eb7cbad2adf305d.jpeg

Some of the pretty houses in Gammle Stavanger.

We paid the obligatory trip to the supermarket to check out prices and were pleasantly surprised. Last time we were in Norway it was extortionate. I’d say things were maybe 10% more expensive than the UK this time round. 

Back on the ship we watched the very early show ( rearranged due to the Euros semi finals) with an impressive singer and saxophonist, Danielle Grace Williams. Loved her. She had a great voice and did some nice arrangements.  I got to feel very much like a solo traveller as I was abandoned in favour of the football but it’s nothing a rose martini didn't cure😉 After the football, around 10:45 the  girls and I danced the night away at the silent disco at Eden. It was a lot of fun and all the younger people on the ship all of a sudden came out the woodwork. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Olden - Day 4 

What we did: am Loen Skylift and 8 km hike, pm Hauren 8km hike straight from the ship

Other options: Briksdal Glacier, kayaking, trip to Stryn, glacier sightseeing bus 

Need to know: This is one port you don’t need to have plans in advance for. There are a few vendors at the port selling excursions. The village centre is 10 mins away and tiny.

Friluftsliv baby! 🌳🍃This is why we came to Norway! I can’t use enough superlatives to describe how beautiful Olden and Nordfjord is. 

IMG_6055.thumb.jpeg.c8e30a2b89d5dd47c8ae821ec1f7982c.jpeg

We woke up to this view.

We started the day early and got one of the first shuttles to the Loen Skylift with Olden Adventures. It’s pretty pricey- around £70 a person so I’d recommend waiting to see what the weather is like before getting a ticket. It’s a short 10 min journey to the Skylift and we walked straight on. The Skylift is a real feat of engineering. We have been on plenty cable cars in the Alps so it didn’t haves complete wow factor but you couldn’t help but be impressed by the steepness of the journey. At one point we were practically vertical. It was ear popping stuff. 

Once at the top, we set off on our circular 8km hike on Mount Hoven via Skredfjellet. It was probably what we would consider an easy/ moderate hike but remember we are experienced hikers. It was 2km ascent, 4 km downhill then 2km ascent. The trail was quite manicured, you just had to follow the cairns, there was no way you get lost. We walked through a mossy, magical wonderland dotted with minuscule lochans. We were the only ones on the trail and it seemed quite otherworldly. Looking down, the teal fjord was so serene. There  was a slight smirr in the air but everything was so fresh and vibrant. It felt vey much like Scotland when you were out of sight of the fjord. It wasn’t a technical hike at all but there was a rocky downhill for about 20 minutes before the final uphill, which was a bit of a butt buster. As we had made good time( about 50 minutes quicker than suggested), we decided to head back to the ship to refuel before going for our second hike of the day.

IMG_6060.thumb.jpeg.62e31d150d7a3937b5afc1eade5e5909.jpeg

This shows some of the possible trails.

IMG_6061.thumb.jpeg.d2ab22cc2cffa5cd0cfa08f8a2265f91.jpeg
There were lots of these cairns to show the way.

IMG_6062.thumb.jpeg.bfa8cb6614ee79611a96cc1eba9e9f27.jpeg
Signage on the trail.

IMG_6064.thumb.jpeg.ec6406a9d1b79e553be7d95216444e8e.jpeg

There was quite a bit of cloud inversion. 

IMG_6068.thumb.jpeg.bc5e38ee0a016fb0e3f78cffbf242982.jpeg

We saw a few moss covered roofs.

IMG_6069.thumb.jpeg.19e37cd4e101957a6433cc821ec7083d.jpeg

Cowbells out- sheepbells in!

IMG_6065.thumb.jpeg.4ef261deac54ecda6064ceb2d24471ee.jpeg

View to Olden

This second hike was direct from the quayside and was called Hauren. It was 8 km out and back. The 4 km uphill was pretty gradual up a series of switchbacks. It was on a forestry track and was pretty uninteresting, other than a few stunning viewpoints. The last 0.2 km were really muddy but worth it for the view at the top. In Scotland, midges can spoil a good hike in the summer but on this walk it was DD1 who kept on telling us our km pace. We were on a walk, not running a marathon. Anyway, we were up and down in 1 hour 50 mins so we were actually going some.  You have to work off all those cakes somehow😂

IMG_6072.thumb.jpeg.919d22074b317c292da3b19a67a0557d.jpeg

The trail is the switchbacks on the map, lower right. 

IMG_6078.thumb.jpeg.87f14aa6b92b6773632bb4847befed6c.jpeg

When the trees opened up, the view was stunning.

News flash just in: The sun actually put in an appearance today at 2:35pm!! First time since leaving Southampton. So we hotfooted it to the Sunset Bar for some cocktails. The scene off the aft of the ship was just wonderful. 

Currently writing this from Flam. I’ve been up since 5 for the sail in. Off to morning stretch now but will finish day 4 later. This is as “live” as it will get. Any questions, fire away

• Like 16

Day  4 contd

Even although it’s been cloudy, the temperatures haven’t been cold. It’s been around 16 - 18 degrees and ver pleasant as you are sheltered from the wind in the fjords. Because of this we thought we’d  give the Sunset Bar a visit, along with many others. The bar staff were laughing, saying it’s taken to day 4 to actually serve someone!IMG_6081.thumb.jpeg.ed15b072c30a8c0c277c6ed345109c3e.jpeg

IMG_6080.thumb.jpeg.fba00cf283a8ea5006ad7afd3fdf79c1.jpeg

Aft view of Olden village.

Today’s show was the production show, Crystallize. There’s almost too much happening on stage that you don’t know where to look. Vocalists and acrobats were good but the star of the show was the violinist. After the show we had an early night in preparation for the sail in to Flam in the morning.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

Our daughters call the sofa bed ‘a rock and a hard place’😂 Still, if they want to tag along they have to suffer it. The trundle is comfier than the sofa section. It gets made up at turndown. There isn’t a lot of room to open the drawers once the trundle is out.

Many thanks for this. Is the sofa section uncomfortable because you don't have a mattress in comparison to the trundle? And do you know if you can request a mattress to put on top of the sofa? Cheers!

Great to see your adventure!

It's been a lot of weather since I returned from Greece.....

I love to hike in the fjords🥰 The view as you say, I never get tired of it.....

Enjoy the rest of your cruise, I follow from Oslo😎

6 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

They are young enough to endure! I am sure at their age they are used to sofas and sleeping bags when they visit friends! At least the hiking should help them sleep….

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Loving your review. 
Currently booked on Prima( NCL Norway/ Iceland) , but have been considering changing to Apex so appreciate the info. 
Have fun. 

Edited by dock