Would you take any of these quasi upgrade offers?

5 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Pretty sure I will byo aboard with some good stuff that I like.  That said, spending $450 for 2 meal time drink packages "worth" $560 if booked separately, plus $400 to spend on excursions, doesn't seem like a terrible deal.

I agree. 

On 7/5/2024 at 7:32 PM, Stockjock said:

I mentioned earlier that I'm taking the GF on a 7 night cruise on Sirena for a milestone birthday (60) plus she's tolerated me for 10 years, and I want to reward her for putting up with me.  Frankly, I wasn't looking to go too crazy on the spending, as I'm paying for everything (cruise, hotel, flights, etc.)  So I think I'm being fairly generous to begin with.

I booked one of the larger C1 ocean view cabins, where the size of the cabin extends to the point where a balcony would end, if it had one.  I booked under the former O-Life promotion, and stripped everything out of the reservation, so no shore credit, no flights, no meantime drinks, etc.  I figured I'd bring on some wine that I enjoy and simply pay the corkage fee.  

I currently have a total of $550 OBC now, for what it's worth.  $300 from AMEX cruise privileges, $100 for being a Norwegian shareholder, and $150 from the travel agent, so I figured that $550 could cover gratuities, maybe an excursion or two, and possibly a cocktail here and there.

There are 4 stops, 2 sea days, and I plan on doing private excursions on 2 of the 4 port visits, but no plans so far for the other 2 days.

I checked to see the cost differential if I upgraded the cabin to a higher category, or kept the same cabin, only under the current promotions.   Here's what they offered.

1. Keep the same cabin, but add $400 in shore excursions and the mealtime wine and beer package.  Cost to upgrade: $450.

2. Move from the C1 OV to a B2 Veranda and pick up the above $400 for excursions & the wine/beer package.  Cost to upgrade: About $1,100.

As mentioned, I didn't want to go too crazy on the spending, but it's not like I'm broke either.

Would you take one of these offers, and if so which, or would you stay with what you have, which is well-priced?

@Stockjock I read your post a couple of times.  I wrote a response a couple of times and deleted them.  This Oceania Blog has different contributors with very different opinions on cruising. 

One category of contributor looks to spend as little as possible, leverage on every sale that benefits them, get upset when the "Simply More" program hit because they wanted to avoid those costs, never took airfare/did their own excursions/brought their own adult beverages.  

The other category is the other extreme.  These folk get the nicest cabins, spend extra money simply for convivences, and want everything done for them.  

We are left with those contributors/cruisers in the middle.  Willing to pay for things that provide an improvement to their past cruising experiences however don't want to break the bank.  With Oceania Cruises, you have look at the options and make those decisions yourself.  Simply really because only you know what is right for you.  Your money, your decision, your outcomes.

My advice which is often not appreciated but given anyway.  "Life it to short".  You mentioned your Significant Other has put up with you all these years and it is your want of saying a kind thank you.  I feel the same way with my wife of 44 years.  I am no bargain and she is a wonderful human being to have put up with me. So, be a sport.  Sometimes you spend more money for the convivences, enjoyment that is simply not a great value.  Yet, by doing so, it makes for a better overall experience.  Upgrading the drink package for me is one of those.  My wife drinks more then I do but I still get the upgrade.  A total waste of money if I look at it clearly for me.  But, I do it anyway.  Just an example, not saying other should do the same.  Yet, I like the ease of it knowing no drink bill at the end of the cruise.  Worth it, NO.  Do I do it, YES.  My wife, our experience over the many years we have been together makes those kind so decision worthy.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

... This Oceania Blog has different contributors with very different opinions on cruising. One category of contributor looks to spend as little as possible, leverage on every sale that benefits them, get upset when the "Simply More" program hit because they wanted to avoid those costs, never took airfare/did their own excursions/brought their own adult beverages. The other category is the other extreme.  These folk get the nicest cabins, spend extra money simply for convivences, and want everything done for them. We are left with those contributors/cruisers in the middle....

Though there are also many other types of cruisers, including those that focus on the ports and excursions. For us, the ship is a means of getting us to interesting places we want to see and experience. So, we're off the boat early at every port, trying to see and do things. I'm often one of the very last to return to the ship each day.

Saving money on the ship means spending money off the ship. And that means spending days prior to and after the cruise seeing some interesting city in depth. We did 3 nights in Venice before our recent B2B on Riviera and 3 nights in Barcelona after the cruise. The ESS helped us do this (including in fantastic B3 & A3 cabins), as did not splurging spending on the ship. We're spending 3 nights in London before our upcoming B2B on Sirena and 3 nights in Copenhagen after the cruise. Though here we've got to go down to F and C1 cabins to keep it affordable.

That is a beauty of cruising, that you can choose how you make the most of where you are going. Both before and after the cruise, as well as during it.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Here’s a slightly different question. Let’s say that you receive a credit that is to be used only towards shore excursions and you book those. But then they cancel a port of call or excursion. Is there any sort of a refund, or are you just out of luck?

Edited by Stockjock

SOL, but don’t let that be an issue. When we have some Credits or Oceania “funny money” as I call it, we may front load our excursions and also pick a more pricy tour that I might not do due to cost. We will be in Florence in the Fall and decided to spend a day at the Bocelli  Farm on a small group tour rather than go wander a city we have been to previously years ago.  No, they are not going to give you money back, especially if it is credit. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Here’s a slightly different question. Let’s say that you receive a credit that is to be used only towards shore excursions and you book those. But then they cancel a port of call or excursion. Is there any sort of a refund, or are you just out of luck?

If you have Simply More excursion credits, use them to book your excursions on the first available port. Then, if a port gets canceled or a tour gets canceled, hopefully you’ll have a chance to select an excursion in a subsequent port. There are no refunds for SM excursion credits; there is no alternative use for them (that I’m aware of).

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2024 at 12:37 PM, Stockjock said:

Where would I find these online menus?

Useless since the list changes regularly (and the included SM wine are the same across all onboard restaurants.

• Like 1