Help please - flight check-in

CTM555

We are on the QV sailing on 22/7 with flights booked with Cunard. We’ve had lots of info about checking in for the cruise - which I have done & have printed boarding passes & luggage tags. But no info on how to check in for the flights (LGW to Rome with TUI).

Am I panicking too early? There’s no info on flights tab. 
Home flights are with BA & this states to check-in at the airport.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted (edited)

I know the BA system, and I bet TUI is similar. The airline has you on a group "PNR" which is unique to the travel industry, an inclusive tour itinerary (IT). So to check in you merely need a passport and the flight number. With the first 4 letters of your surname and flight number, the airport system matches you up and can check you in. So long as you are comfortable that Cunard has booked the flight for you then you can just turn up at LGW a couple of hours before departure, you don't have to (and probably can't) check-in online beforehand.

If your departure is before 12:00 hrs, and your flight number starts TOM, then you can check-in the afternoon before at LGW, if that will give more reassurance. It's open 14:00hrs to 21:00 hrs.

Edited by Pushpit

The reason why I always book my own flights is I have access to the booking code. I can make changes, and check in online. With group PNR this does not allow you access to your booking.

You will have no trouble tthough checking in at the airport counter or maybe a check in machine at the airport if provided.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help & reassurance. Always had separate flight/cruise booking previously.

Just seems odd that none of the info from Cunard makes any reference to flights or what to do/ not to do.  But I knew that someone on here would help 🙂 

Tui is a charter for cunard and unless you have a booking reference then I doubt it will possible to check in online 

Seats are normally pre allocated 

10 minutes ago, rog747 said:

Tui is a charter for cunard and unless you have a booking reference then I doubt it will possible to check in online 

Seats are normally pre allocated 

Seats aren’t pre allocated for our upcoming TUI charter. We were given a number to call to reserve seats if we wanted. At a cost, of course!  I agree that it’s probably not possible to check in on- line. 

• Like 1

Would never book flights again through Cunard, when and if required.Could not book our seats to JFK , not until 12 weeks before sailing.We even settled our account early and then had to keep on phoning Cunard until they at last released the necessary reference.We had quite afew Avios points to use.All was sorted in the end,and I now understand the system.Book our own flights or sail from Southampton.

16 minutes ago, Millieloulou said:

Would never book flights again through Cunard, when and if required.Could not book our seats to JFK , not until 12 weeks before sailing.We even settled our account early and then had to keep on phoning Cunard until they at last released the necessary reference.We had quite afew Avios points to use.All was sorted in the end,and I now understand the system.Book our own flights or sail from Southampton.

We always booked flights through Cunard unless using up FF miles.

You can dictate everything, from airline, to routing to scheduling. The only problem for many is it's often more expensive than booking the flight on its own with the airline etc but having all travel on one booking reference, suits us.

• Like 1

We travelled on the Monday Tui charter flight to Trieste at the beginning of June. We weren’t able to check in on-line and you had to go to the Tui area and look for the Cunard banner. to check in. Everyone was very helpful. 

• Thanks 1

Seems we are on the same flight. I have been looking for the same answer as you. The Cunard FAQ has nothing regarding checking in for Tui charter flights. Wasn’t sure if we needed the flight ref No. or not to check in for our flights but nothing in our booking ref. Cunard seem unable or unwilling to answer my queries regarding this question which should be easy for them. I also asked the question whether it’s possible to use the night before bag drop in LGW. I know with P & O charters you can’t but according to Tui if you have a TOM flight No. you should be able to if flying from North Terminal as we are. Again nothing in the Cunard FAQ,s to say if you can or can’t. I’m pretty sure it’s no but maybe someone on here can answer this question. 

Found some of the answers already on here very helpful. 

5 hours ago, Jan10 said:

We travelled on the Monday Tui charter flight to Trieste at the beginning of June. We weren’t able to check in on-line and you had to go to the Tui area and look for the Cunard banner. to check in. Everyone was very helpful. 

This is helpful

There were some people who checked in early at the Tui check-ins. So this is possible. At the carousel in Trieste they were concerned that their luggage wouldn’t get to Trieste with them, but it did… 

1 minute ago, Jan10 said:

There were some people who checked in early at the Tui check-ins. So this is possible. At the carousel in Trieste they were concerned that their luggage wouldn’t get to Trieste with them, but it did… 

That’s useful to know thank you for the reply.

38 minutes ago, Gazzadancer said:

t but according to Tui if you have a TOM flight No. you should be able to if flying from North Terminal as we are. Again nothing in the Cunard FAQ,s to say if you can or can’t. I’m pretty sure it’s no but maybe someone on here can answer this question. 

Yes, see post 2 above, it is possible.

Hope this helps just had this reply from Cunard regarding Tui charter flights.

”You will not receive your boarding pass until you check in at the airport. As this is a Cunard charter flight TUI are unable to offer twilight check in. Check in is 3 hours prior to departure” 

I know other posts suggest twighlight check in is possible but I will comply with  the official Cunard reply.

I think you will find it very straightforward when you are at Gatwick. Have a great time.  We really enjoyed our flight and the cruise couldn’t have been better!! 

2 minutes ago, Jan10 said:

I think you will find it very straightforward when you are at Gatwick. Have a great time.  We really enjoyed our flight and the cruise couldn’t have been better!! 

Thank you looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

So just to add, we flew yesterday. We were staying at the Premier Inn the night before so we walked across without the cases & spoke to TUI & yes we could use the twilight check-in for the Cunard flight. We walked back with the cases, passports & flight number & checked in - no hassle & no queues.

The next morning when we spoke to the Cunard Rep at the airport she said that Cunard don't like you doing the night before check-in in case you fall ill overnight.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CTM555 said:

The next morning when we spoke to the Cunard Rep at the airport she said that Cunard don't like you doing the night before check-in in case you fall ill overnight.

Well that kind of figures. Ticketing follows a process and I was sure in my posts above that Twilight was OK at LGW. But as an agency, on the sort of ticket that Cunard would use, Cunard does have some options to recover or rebook someone, if there was a problem, so long as the flight has not closed. But once you have checked in, you are firmly under "Airport Control", and so Cunard can't easily intervene from that point. Or so they may think - since these days it's a piece of cake to offload someone and revert the ticket back to the agency.

The other problem would be if TUI cancelled the flight overnight.

But set against that the massive benefit to an individual traveller, plus oodles of time if for some reason there was a problem with the ticket, which was in your case a bit of a concern. So big benefits for you, if not for Cunard.

That’s interesting that you were able to use twighlight check in considering they told us we couldn’t. Anyway it was very easy in the morning with separate Cunard check in. No queuing and very quick. It took us no longer than 20 minutes to check in and get through security. 

The flight though was a different matter. Seemed Tui couldn’t get a plane so chartered one from Ascend Air. I had to check them out to find out who they were. We ended up with a 2 hour delay but the flight itself was ok. When we got to baggage claim that’s when the trouble started. 4 hour wait to get our cases & no Cunard rep to be seen. A baggage handler bless her did finally get the baggage delivered. Seems that the flight from Ascend wasn’t registered for Rome and the handling fees hadn’t been paid at least that’s what we were told. Finally boarded queen Victoria approx 5pm 4 hours later than expected. We did get a cheap bottle of wine & some on board credit as way of compensation. Not sure it was enough but at least it was something. No such issues with our flight home that departed on time & baggage delivered in good time.

Great cruise though so the baggage issues didn’t distract from that.