Internet/VPN Question

If I have the surf package and use a VPN, couldn't I stream Netflix since they wouldn't know where I'm connecting to?  VPN's appear to work from other posts I've read.

Thanks.

We have had Surf and Premium service on two cruises this summer. DH says he could use a VPN on Premium but is not able to on Surf. That’s the extent of my knowledge on the subject. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DougandEric said:

If I have the surf package and use a VPN, couldn't I stream Netflix since they wouldn't know where I'm connecting to?  VPN's appear to work from other posts I've read.

I have had mixed results getting a VPN to work on cruise ships including HAL's ships.  Some cruises it works and some it doesn't.  I really doubt it would work with the Surf package (we always have Premium or above) because they severely limit the IP addresses you can access.  If you can't access the VPN's IP address to get it started, then the VPN cannot work.

• Like 2

This is for folks that have sailed on HAL ships under the new wifi programs of Surf, Premium and Stream plan which began recently.  Can you view YouTube videos on the Surf plan?  Now that HAL has eliminated a Catholic Priest on most cruises we will need to go back to our Covid process of seeing Mass online via a YouTube video.

4 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

This is for folks that have sailed on HAL ships under the new wifi programs of Surf, Premium and Stream plan which began recently.  Can you view YouTube videos on the Surf plan?  Now that HAL has eliminated a Catholic Priest on most cruises we will need to go back to our Covid process of seeing Mass online via a YouTube video.

DH says no you cannot watch YouTube videos on the surf plan. 

For what it is worth, we were able to watch DirecTv---most channels with a VPN in South America and in the Carribean. Premium. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2024 at 1:01 PM, DougandEric said:

Thanks for the replies.  We have a cruise on Eurodam over Thanksgiving so I'll try it out before our 43 day cruise next March.

I was on Eurodam last Thanksgiving for 21 days (during Top Chef filming) and was able to use my VPN (Nord) without any issues.  I initially connected to the ship's wifi with the VPN off, then enabled the VPN.  I had no issues streaming music or video.

FYI I will be again aboard Eurodam for 21 days starting with this year's Thanksgiving voyage.

Edited by TampaMike