MSC's Dysfunctional IT Department Never Fails to Surprise

mnocket

Just a minor rant.  Feel free to ignore.

So I just completed my web registration for my cruise departing August 4th.  Couldn't use the app since our ship, the Preziosa, isn't a "Smart" ship. I tried to use a browser on my PC and everything worked fine until I came to part where it wanted to take my picture.  No can do since there's no camera on my PC.  There was no way to skip that step even though they typically retake your picture when checking in at the port.  So on to using the browser on my phone.  Made it through the sometimes-problematic photo step (took my wife several minutes to succeed), registered my credit card for onboard expenses and congratulated myself for completing the process.  Five minutes later I get an email from MSC confirming that the web registration of the credit card was successful.  Great!  Then MSC being MSC, they found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Here's what the email said...

We hereby confirm that the credit card n°**** **** **** XXXX relating to booking XXXXXXX on board MSC MSC Preziosa departure date 2023-03-27 has been successfully registered and associated with the following Guests:...

Wait, departure date of 2023-03-27???  As in over a year ago?  Nothing like inspiring confidence from the people who just turned over their credit card information to you. 🙄 

• Haha 3

It's my recollection that even if you somehow get the registration to accept your photograph, you still have to get photographed again in the cruise terminal,

It's my recollection that even if you somehow get the registration to accept your credit card number, you still need to use a kiosk onboard the ship (or Reception Desk) to register it again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

It's my recollection that even if you somehow get the registration to accept your credit card number, you still need to use a kiosk onboard the ship (or Reception Desk) to register it again.

They did not retake mine but they did retake my wife's. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Not always, but sometimes. I usually just go to the kiosk at some point on embarkation day to check. If you already have a card associated with your account, it will tell you. If not, you can quickly re-add it.

• Like 2