Noordam or Nieuw Amsterdam?

We are taking our first HAL cruise next summer, 2025,  to Alaska for our fiftieth anniversary. We have cruised before just not with HAL or to Alaska. We have decided on the 11 day double Denali that leaves from Fairbanks and ends in Vancouver. We are flexible on dates and I notice that the Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam rotate these sailings. The ships seem very similar, so I wondered if there is any reason to pick one over the other.

I have been reading these boards and have learned so much. Thanks for any advice.

32 minutes ago, Jiminy Cricket 123 said:

We are taking our first HAL cruise next summer, 2025,  to Alaska for our fiftieth anniversary. We have cruised before just not with HAL or to Alaska. We have decided on the 11 day double Denali that leaves from Fairbanks and ends in Vancouver. We are flexible on dates and I notice that the Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam rotate these sailings. The ships seem very similar, so I wondered if there is any reason to pick one over the other.

I have been reading these boards and have learned so much. Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the HAL Forum.

I prefer the Nieuw Amsterdam for both the Tamarind and NY Pizza availability.  Since you have chosen the small city of Fairbanks as a starting point, flight planning options will be limited and require booking very soon.

Here is a link that might help in your planning:  Alaska Cruisetour Tips 2024

Feel free to ask lots of questions to help in your planning.

While I agree Tamarind is a wonderful restaurant, I would always choose a Vista class chip over a Signature Class.  Other than the extra food options, there is no "real" difference except size and number of guests, and I feel the extra size did the ship no favors.  The overall feel of the slightly smaller, slightly older Vistas (of which Noordam is one), well, there is just something better about them.  I avoid NA and Eurodam - they are my least favorite in the entire fleet and given a choice I would take Noordam over NA hands down.  If you do not have your heart set on an Asian eatery, go with Noordam.  Just my two cents - don't spend them all in once place.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moriah said:

While I agree Tamarind is a wonderful restaurant, I would always choose a Vista class chip over a Signature Class.  Other than the extra food options, there is no "real" difference except size and number of guests, and I feel the extra size did the ship no favors.  The overall feel of the slightly smaller, slightly older Vistas (of which Noordam is one), well, there is just something better about them.  I avoid NA and Eurodam - they are my least favorite in the entire fleet and given a choice I would take Noordam over NA hands down.  If you do not have your heart set on an Asian eatery, go with Noordam.  Just my two cents - don't spend them all in once place.

I agree 100%. I would not choose NA just due to Tamarind. In fact, having access to really good, cheap Asian food at home has left me less than impressed with the Tamarind menu (OK, I think the food there isn’t any good). Admittedly, I’ve only tried it twice in 17 years sailing with HAL but both times I regretted missing the awesome food on the main Dining Room menu. Further, I will admit a soft spot for Noordam as she was the very first HAL ship I sailed on in 2007. Just debarked this Sunday and she is still looking fresh and the color, design and art are beautiful. 

• Like 1

I like newer ships, so NA for me.  I believe there are more dining and entertainment options.

======

With regard to Tamarind, it has the best Asian food on any cruise line.  On one Youtube review, it was compared favorably with the best restaurants in Thailand.

We have sailed on both ships and would be happy to go on either one again. The only reason we would pick the NA over the Noordam would be for the Tamarind.  It is our favourite restaurant at sea.   

I like the smaller ships, so I would probably go with Noordam, which I've been on multiple times in the past (I've never been on NA).  You didn't mention if they had the same itinerary.  If they have different itineraries, I would choose based on the one that looked best to me.

Either way, enjoy your cruise.

9 hours ago, mark46 said:

With regard to Tamarind, it has the best Asian food on any cruise line.  On one Youtube review, it was compared favorably with the best restaurants in Thailand.

Best Asian on any cruise line?  If we are going there, then I’ll say the Sushi/Asian inspired restaurant on Silversea is worlds better. I didn’t make a YouTube review, but I’ll state it here for all to see. How’s that?  Subjectivity of food likes and dislikes and impressions of what is good-better, best will vary with the diner, timing, line cooks on duty, etc. I know many adore Tamarind. My meals were not appealing. I had better Thai at Bahn Thai in Fairbanks Alaska two weeks ago. Highly recommend. 

Thank you for all the advice. The itineraries are the same and we don’t usually do specialty dining so I guess Tamarind is not really a factor. We’re leaning toward Noordam as we prefer the smaller ships but if our TA gets a better deal on NA I’m sure we will be fine. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Jiminy Cricket 123 said:

Thank you for all the advice. The itineraries are the same and we don’t usually do specialty dining so I guess Tamarind is not really a factor. We’re leaning toward Noordam as we prefer the smaller ships but if our TA gets a better deal on NA I’m sure we will be fine. 

I think you'll be fine with either. For same itinerary, I would go by price, too.