First MSC cruise review: Great trip, food and service do suck, but with the $aving$, I want to go again

kad56

15 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I have never once had to wait 30 minutes for a drink on MSC except maybe when ordering a cocktail in the MDR. The MDRs on MSC aren't really set up to serve any alcohol besides wines, so it can take a long time to fetch a cocktail. I usually solve this problem by stopping by a bar on my way to dinner and bringing a cocktail in with me.

its my understanding you can order the "house" prosecco in the MDR correct? or just wines...

3 minutes ago, Bubsmoljo said:

its my understanding you can order the "house" prosecco in the MDR correct? or just wines...

Prosecco is available in the MDRs and I often order that after polishing off whatever cocktail I have carried in!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I have never once had to wait 30 minutes for a drink on MSC except maybe when ordering a cocktail in the MDR. The MDRs on MSC aren't really set up to serve any alcohol besides wines, so it can take a long time to fetch a cocktail. I usually solve this problem by stopping by a bar on my way to dinner and bringing a cocktail in with me.

I agree - I would say even 5 minutes would be the longest I have ever waited.

I learned the cocktail thing about the MDR pretty quick.  DW and I almost always start a meal out with a dirty martini, and the first two nights of our first cruise outside YC it took forever.  It makes sense, in retrospect...so I just started getting them for us on the way in.

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Like 2

I don’t think a 3 day cruise is any way to sample a new line.  You can barely figure out the layout and routine of the line in that time.  Only if you don’t go ashore at the ports.  I did fine with my three days on Magnifica earlier this month and I did get off on Ocean Cay…but I had been there twice before.  Even my five day on Virgin Voyages was not enough to figure it out.  EM

JamieLogical what a great idea with bringing your own from a stop at another bar on your way to the MDR. I’m just repeating what others have said in their reviews about the 20 or 30 minute waits.
Yes 5 minutes would be a stretch for a drink. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/29/2024 at 9:54 AM, cheeseheads4ever said:

I have learned to never ever discuss politics with anyone. It just causes hard feelings and it changes your views on that person if you’ve never talked about their political views in the past.

Subject over for me.

Regarding MSC I am just struggling with pulling the trigger on a MSC cruise. I get pumped for it then read reviews and think if I have to wait 30 minutes for a drink while the bartenders staring at me like I’m doing him a favor by ordering a drink that won’t work. Food is subjective I get it. I just can’t understand how there can be that many things wrong with a cruise. If I had a problem with something not a trivial item but a lady wrote about the bedbugs. I’d take that up the ladder. Wouldn’t waste my time with someone that couldn’t help resolve the issue.

I know JamieLogical does fabulous reviews and think I’m on the same level as them as far as expectations go but just struggle.

We want to sail out of Port Canaveral. Want to try a cruise line other than Celebrity. It leaves MSC, Norwegian, Carnaval.

We could do a 3 day shorty and get a feel.

Anyway I guess time will tell. Thanks for listening….

@cheeseheads4ever I hear you completely! Love that bit about politics too. At any rate, we are seasoned cruisers with the major lines RCCL, Disney and Carnival. We had been waiting to try celebrity until our kids were a little older and it made sense which brought us to MSC a few years ago. It has actually been such a good experience that we have yet to try anything else. We always do Fantastical level or above. Anytime there is a.”class” system in place, I feel more confident that we are at least getting what we normally would get on other cruise lines with those levels. Bella wouldn’t compare to how we have cruised prior.

That said, we have sailed Seashore, Seascape and Seaside and are booked on World Europa for the holidays this year. We have never come across anything in edible but as with most larger ships, sometimes the food is hit or miss. Pizza is always phenomenal and we have always been pleased with the buffet. The buffet is always bigger than you think and you really need to walk around because there are so many other stations that people fail to explore.
we really love the revolving sushi restaurant as well as the steak House, but find that the dining room dinners are truly very good. The one time my husband ordered chicken and waffles and I knew he shouldn’t have because we are from the south. It was a miss. It was not inedible. It just was not great and nothing compared to what he would get back at home. I told him that is the last thing I would order on an Italian cruise line. Our waitress overheard us talking an offer to bring him something different. They really do want you to enjoy your meal!
If you have kids, mine really really loved the kids club before they were old enough for the teen club. The waterpark is great and so is the arcade. Also, the ships are really fancy if you were on one of the ones we have with them. I don’t know if this helps you but I would give it a try. I think you will be surprised. And as one of the other posts said, the dining rooms are not set up as a full bar just for wine so get your cocktail before you go in!

@cheeseheads4ever sorry, Siri has a mind of her own.

What I was trying to say is that the ships are really nice if you are on one of the larger/newer ones. I can’t comment on the older smaller ones because we have not sailed those. I wanted something similar to what we were used to and I think that is key with MSC. Aurea was our first experience and that wrung true to what we had sailed previously on other lines and is typically what we sail.

I do believe the ships that cater to a more American audience have changed their food profile to be a little more in line with what those people expect. Bacon, eggs, breakfast sandwiches, etc..

we sailed on MSC the first year they broke into the US market and the buffet was so interesting but very very good. Lots of prunes, muesli , toast with tomatoes/ beans, etc.. very similar to what we find when we are in Europe! But hella different from what we eat here. They also had dining times at 8 or 9:30 PM or something super late back in the day. They have since adjusted that to better serve their American market. I am interested to see what our world Europa times will be out of Barcelona!

On 7/29/2024 at 9:54 AM, cheeseheads4ever said:

We could do a 3 day shorty and get a feel.

I would never pick that short of a cruise to 'get a feel for a cruise line.'  Short itineraries are know for being party/booze cruises and most seasoned cruisers know to avoid them at all cost. 

Go on a 7-day minimum during the off season, unless you are forced to sail when school is not in session, would be my recommendation.