No cabins available

grak

Why would most cabins not be available for a cruise scheduled 9 months out? Not marked sold out, but not available.

Posted (edited)

Our Canada New England cruise in 15 months time is almost sold out.  Doesn't matter if you try 2 or 3 guests.  I think it is just popular.  More cabins will become available at the time of final payment when people will decide if they really want to go on the cruise. 

People have realised (took me a while to discover this) that the earlier you book the cheaper the cabins are. 

If you look at hotel prices in the US cruises look like good value for money if you don't do too many excursions. Maybe others are thinking the same thing?

Edited by paddingtonbear

Some people place hold.
We had a £1 deposit a few weeks ago, so Ive place held loads of cruises over 2025 and 2026.
Ill decide nearer the time which I want and which I dont.

I dont mind losing £10 in deposits.

@grak I have no idea how many times you’ve cruised, but I would highly recommend booking with a travel agent. They can answer a lot of questions for you. Especially with all the ins and outs of booking. Sometimes they can book cabins that you don’t see online, etc. Cruises since the restart have been quite full and sold out, no matter how many months in the future. They have also gone up ( since restart) in price, but that is not stopping quite a few passengers.

So if you see a cruise that fits your budget, your vacation time if that applies and all the other parameters, I would try to book it with the expertise of a travel agent  that works a lot with princess.

But if you’re flexible on where the ship goes and all that comes with that , wait until three months before the cruise that you’re interested in i.e. when people make final payment,some cancel right before the 90 day mark and sometimes there are bargains to be had ,but have to be flexible on cabin location, etc. etc. 

• Like 1

I’ve cruised many times and have never seen a “not available” (as opposed to “sold out”’). I do go through a travel agent and she said she’d put us on a wait list.  It’s not even a big cruise…just a Pscific North West…7 days. Just seems strange to me. We could book a cabin but Princess chooses.  We want to pick the cabin location.

I've seen it in the past. I believe it's their computer program. I have always been able to log out of the Princess website and log back in a bit later. Rooms where available every time I did this.

I've had it pop up on cruises where it is sold as a 12 / 15 / 27 day cruise while they are realigning inventory then holding back some rooms for just the 27 day option (see my signature for a great example) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, grak said:

I’ve cruised many times and have never seen a “not available” (as opposed to “sold out”’). I do go through a travel agent and she said she’d put us on a wait list.  It’s not even a big cruise…just a Pscific North West…7 days. Just seems strange to me. We could book a cabin but Princess chooses.  We want to pick the cabin location.

Agree, we always like to choose our own cabin as well. For me, I would not pick that cruise if I could not pick my cabin, but thats my opinion.
 Usually these Pacific coast cruises are in preparation to get the ship to ( in spring) and from ( fall) Alaska so there’s less of these Pacific coastal cruises to choose from?, so they are popular. They do a few round-trip Pacific coast cruises while they’re waiting to get the ship to & from Alaska. Perhaps that’s why they have guarantee cabins only in the category that you’re willing to pay. Well, glad that your travel agent was able to give you a little bit more information and you’re on a waiting list for a cabin of your category or choosing, potentially.

Edited by arizonaperson