With or without Antarctica?

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I wholeheartedly recommend that you select the four days cruising Antarctica. I had a ressy this past February on a different cruise line w 4 days cruising Antartica. I was very skeptical that we would be able to get close enough to be able to see anything other than a white blob on the horizon. Boy was I mistaken. Later I told folks we were close enough to shore that I could have reached it swimming, except that I would’ve died of hypothermia. 😂

I was quite the skeptic, but it was great! Incredible!

Here is an iceberg we passed, estimated 51 million tons (the iceberg, not me!).

(Sorry 1 pic posted upset down - a southern hemisphere thing? LOL!)

IMG_9940.jpeg

IMG_9942.jpeg

Until then I never knew that I would have a favorite iceberg. This one isn't huge but I loved the lighting.

faveiceberg.jpg

• Like 2

At risk of getting in trouble...we did a "not Antarctica" cruise from Buenos Aires to Ft. Lauderdale March 2023 on a different cruise line.  Lots of really interesting ports, great weather (mostly).  Falkland penguins were a highlight.  So, it's definitely worth doing without Antarctica.  However, we enjoyed it so much that we're going again - on Marina in Feb. - including Antarctica this time.  Not nearly as many ports, but love looking for wildlife, enjoying views etc.  I don't think you can go wrong either way.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, soccermom4 said:

Buenos Aires

We a Rio/BA and spent several day in BA which we loved and would go again and again. Great food! And we used to have a place in Rio and love going back. The people are so nice.

We have done both, an expedition ship and Oceania.  The expedition ship got you on land but we still enjoyed the cruising with Oceania.  Seeing the icebergs and some of the wildlife was still possible from Oceania.  An added bonus was that it snowed and seeing the crews reaction to the snow was  fun.  One of the entertainment staff made a snowman, and other crew members made snow angels..  The speakers they brought on board were fantastic and gave excellent coverage.  The best part was is that we did have to smell the penguins on Oceania.  You were far enough away, you could enjoy seeing them but did not have to smell them.  We saw several humpbacks and several of them were very close to the ship.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, no fuss travel said:

The best part was is that we did have to smell the penguins on Oceania.

"did NOT"!!!!! And for that you should be grateful. Over the years we've had dogs, cats and horses. Couldn't even come close to penguins 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

"did NOT"!!!!! And for that you should be grateful. Over the years we've had dogs, cats and horses. Couldn't even come close to penguins 🙂

Oops. Missed the Not. Thank you for pointing out my error. No you could not smell the penguins on Oceania and that was a blessing

4 hours ago, RandolphLady said:

Thanks for the information.  Never thought about penguins smelling!

The krill they eat and wear on their white feathers until their next swim is disgusting.  Also, never stand close to a penguin as you do not want to wear their offerings (for a lack of a more specific description )

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 10:21 AM, RandolphLady said:

Greetings.  We are trying to choose between two Oceania Cruises on Marina that are each 18 days and that go from Chile to Argentina or vice versa.  One of these itineraries includes 4 days cruising the Drake Passage and Antarctic Peninsula (in February) and the other does not (in March).  Since we don't leave the ship on those 4 days, I'm not sure what the added value would be. Is it just 4 more at-sea days in rough waters?  What does one actually experience?   I would love to hear from those who took either of these cruises so I can decide soon.  Thank you in advance.

If you have no interest in a more in depth trip to Antarctica, the four days will give you a pretty nice glimpse. Of course, it is all weather dependent. Even after two expedition trips to Antarctica, we enjoyed our four days in the region on Insignia’s world cruise in 2023.

This link will take you to the first footprint in my write up for that part of our trip. You can scroll through the photos and use the left and right arrows under the write up to move to the next footprint to see subsequent write-ups. This will give you an idea of what you might experience. The photos/videos were taken either with an iPhone or with a camera that had a maximum 250mm reach.

https://findpenguins.com/8pccjefaitoru/footprint/63f0ef820e1a25-16267159