OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE JULY

7 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

It should be as simple as one part scotch to one part amaretto, BUT this may interest everyone... https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/04/cunard-reveals-why-chocolate-tastes-better-at-sea/?feed_id=2358&_unique_id=64307c875311f

Thanks for that! So much goes into our experiences that the sum is greater than the parts. Perhaps it explains why my Aunt Mary's chocolate chip cookies were the best at family holiday gathering when I was a kid. The ones I took home were never as good!

Would you be so kind as to ask the bartender in the TSL what brand of scotch they used? Scotch varies so much in flavor and I want to try to replicate what they did.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, billc23 said:

Thanks for that! So much goes into our experiences that the sum is greater than the parts. Perhaps it explains why my Aunt Mary's chocolate chip cookies were the best at family holiday gathering when I was a kid. The ones I took home were never as good!

Would you be so kind as to ask the bartender in the TSL what brand of scotch they used? Scotch varies so much in flavor and I want to try to replicate what they did.

This is just another case of the importance of one's personal butler. I felt I needed the special relationship one's personal butler has with the bartender to be sure one gets any special ingredients left out. So the answer is, there IS just one ingredient missing which can only be gotten here on board the ship.... the MSC Yacht Club mystique.

P.S. Did you notice how fast my service was? 

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

This is just another case of the importance of one's personal butler. I felt I needed the special relationship one's personal butler has with the bartender to be sure one gets any special ingredients left out. So the answer is, there IS just one ingredient missing which can only be gotten here on board the ship.... the MSC Yacht Club mystique.

P.S. Did you notice how fast my service was? 

Brilliant move to make a video! I am learning from you all the time!! Thanks for you generosity of time.

8 minutes ago, billc23 said:

Brilliant move to make a video! I am learning from you all the time!! Thanks for you generosity of time.

I did not film the $5 tip I gave her for breaking away from making someone else's order and taking care of me.

• Like 2

@billc23 @morpheusofthesea  Did anyone else find it courious that she used Gentleman Jack, a whiskey instead of scotch, which I believe is traditional, for the Godfather?  May have to try that at home.  I think I have a mineature of each, if not I need to go to the ABC store anyway as I am almost out of Bailey's. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

@billc23 @morpheusofthesea  Did anyone else find it courious that she used Gentleman Jack, a whiskey instead of scotch, which I believe is traditional, for the Godfather?  May have to try that at home.  I think I have a mineature of each, if not I need to go to the ABC store anyway as I am almost out of Bailey's. 

Everyone is different. My father loved Chivas, but I tasted soap in every scotch, which I do not find in whiskey and single malt the smoothest which I wouldn't adulterate by using it in a cocktail. That might be why so many like to use scotch in cocktails because it cuts the taste of soap. The secret to drinking scotch straight is the soapy taste disappears after the second drink (maybe). (from what I remember)

P.S. "There is no bad whiskey. There are only some whiskeys that aren't as good as others."

Raymond Chandler

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I never had a Godfather drink before. My SIL tried one on the ship and had it every night. I am glad to have the recipe for the one he enjoyed and now I will try different ones with scotch, jack, and bourbon myself. One of the small pleasures of retirement!

• Like 2

On 7/13/2024 at 9:53 AM, MonsterJoe said:

but I also like the idea of flying to where we want to go

I don't think one of any age likes flying 24+ hours to get from the east coast of the US to Sydney, Australia in coach. I would take a 'slow boat to China' in steerage before I would ever do that again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2024 at 11:57 AM, mnocket said:

If you're a "the ship is the destination" type of person, you may find adult-only AI resorts work for you too.

Also there is what is known as the "Ocean State of mind" touted by MSC Explora Journeys. I think it is something akin to the "Blue Mind" which is enhanced out in the middle of the ocean.

"What is a blue mind?

Water in the ocean, rivers, lakes and even baths can make us feel calmer, increase well-being and boost creativity. Blue Mind is the mildly meditative state people fall into when they are near, in, under or on water.

Water positively affects the mind and body, and the Blue Mind Theory provides ways people can use water to improve their well-being.

Blue Mind is the term used to describe the state of water-associated peace. Some of the ways water can produce physical and mental health benefits include:

Bodies of water trigger involuntary attention, which is essential to problem-solving and creativity.

Water increases the neurotransmitters dopamine, sometimes called the feel-good hormone; serotonin, also known as the happiness hormone; and oxytocin, described as the cuddle hormone; and decreases cortisol, described as the stress hormone."

Water is a source of awe that expands a person’s compassion.

The color, sound and feel of water can lower pulse rate and increase feelings of calmness.”

Great YC service promotes the “blue mind” better than the competition.

P.S. Never got the full effect in inside cabins.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2024 at 3:53 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Posters often post if the Yacht Club has its own White Party. Yes they do. It is called "Island Party" and its held the same night as the White Party in steerage. YCers will receive a special invitation. At this "Island Party" one will have a special buffet, music, and dancing.

ISLEPARTY.jpeg

A brief tale about this party during our Seascape cruise last February.  A woman, drink in hand, was dancing at the edge of the pool.  It was obvious to everyone sitting at our table that, 1.) this woman had spent the day taking maximum advantage of the YC drink package, and, 2.) it was a matter of "when", not "if" she was going to fall in the pool.  She did not disappoint us.  Luckily, 1.) the cargo-type netting spread over the pool broke her fall, and, 2.) she kept her drink held high thus preventing it from getting watered down.  She was not injured and after drying off with help of the staff, resumed her enjoyment of the festivities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well, DW just texted friends on Seashore today and found out that Butcher's Cut will be open Ocean Cay Day. Will have to seek out our hotel director on Seascape and ask why are we on here not afforded the same courtesy ?

• Like 1

Having seen these production shows a couple of times, with all the goings on on the stage with the various dancers I thought I glimpsed an unusual occurrence on stage. A male dancer wearing a blue shirt sits down in a barber's chair, has an apron placed over his torso, is spun around and jumps out of the barber's chair wearing a bright yellow shirt.

Got to the Island Party at the One Pool deck at 8:30 pm. The deck had all the lounges removed and had tables set up with tea light candles. Took  quick walk around before it got crowded. 54 second clip. This cruise most of the guests are just starting dinner in the YC restaurant.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A cruise in the Yacht Club is not complete (at least with me) without a examination of interlopers in the YC. Had a talk with our personal butler and he admitted that the BIGGEST offenders were the parents residing in the YC having family staying in cabins outside in steerage. He says he knows after a couple days who belongs in his section. Those residing outside the YC do not bother purchasing drink packages knowing they will be given the wrist bands belonging to their family in the YC. It becomes a very delicate matter and the  impression I got is that there is little the staff want to do. The Seascape Yacht Club did not get its high ratings from scolded YC parents abusing the system. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

A cruise in the Yacht Club is not complete (at least with me) without a examination of interlopers in the YC. Had a talk with our personal butler and he admitted that the BIGGEST offenders were the parents residing in the YC having family staying in cabins outside in steerage. He says he knows after a couple days who belongs in his section. Those residing outside the YC do not bother purchasing drink packages knowing they will be given the wrist bands belonging to their family in the YC. It becomes a very delicate matter and the  impression I got is that there is little the staff want to do. The Seascape Yacht Club did not get its high ratings from scolded YC parents abusing the system. 

That's incredibly frustrating ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"It becomes a very delicate matter and the  impression I got is that there is little the staff want to do."

Understandable. Why would a crew member, whose job description doesn't specifically include passenger confrontation, place themselves in such precarity?

As legitimate YC numbers grow and resources fail to keep pace, "inside job" trespassers will have ever more ability to diminish the YC experience for paying guests.

That's another reason to cruise elsewhere. Why pay for the advertised experience in an already full-to-capacity area if it is going to be pushed beyond the tipping point by thieves who slide in with the aid and abettment of related YCers?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, no1talks said:

That's another reason to cruise elsewhere. Why pay for the advertised experience in an already full-to-capacity area if it is going to be pushed beyond the tipping point by thieves who slide in with the aid and abettment of related YCers?

Why cruise elsewhere? As Churchill said,"because the others are so much worse." Referring to the systems under which we live. Been trying out the others at quite an expense. DW hated the Pinnacle Suite on Holland America, which I wanted to try. She contracted both norovirus and covid at the same time on HAL with a 98 CDC inspection score. Then we skipped over to Regent Grandeur being a new ship in the Grand Suite to be treated like steerage with salt in every dish (requested every meal no salt). Our next planned is Oceania Vista in an Owners suite (unless we run into someone like we just did that hated Cunard Queen's Grill and DW blaming me for her time on HAL being repeated on Cunard for not taking others personal advice).

As long as the ship doesn't run out of my favorite libation and my tipping works for my fast service I am a happy camper right in the YC even with these profligates, 

rogues

rascals

scoundrels

good-for-nothings

villains

wretches

unprincipled persons and reprobates.

• Like 4

Since they already take a photo of guests, why not print photo badges for Yacht Club guests to wear? Include the ship and date with  the photo. Use different color text to prevent forgery. If anyone doesn't present or isn't wearing the correct badge,.....GTFO.

I'd wear one.... proudly, anywhere on the ship.

• Like 3

Why don’t they scan the bracelets entering the YC?  I presume the owners picture shows up and those wearing the parents bracelets would be detected.  And those who belong would not mind, as long as they understand why.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

"Since they already take a photo of guests, why not print photo badges for Yacht Club guests to wear?"

Extra material cost and staff training.

MSC has very likely taken into account some arbitrary amount of YC loss/pilferage per cruise. As long as it doesn't affect their spreadsheet or become a physical disturbance, they will not expend staff time to deal with it. Whether any paying guests are shorted on reasonable service, due to crowded venues, is not really important.

Some guests will accept the preventable diminishment and keep booking cruises. Other guests will go elsewhere, based on what matters in their cruising, and MSC will otherwise fill that capacity.

It's strictly business.

Edited by no1talks

28 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Why don’t they scan the bracelets entering the YC?  I presume the owners picture shows up and those wearing the parents bracelets would be detected.  And those who belong would not mind, as long as they understand why.

With the Haven on NCL, that's exactly what happens. The person taps their card to enter the enclave and the person's name and picture shows up on the concierge's computer at the desk. That way, the concierge can greet the Haven guest by name as the guest walks by the concierge. 

• Like 4