The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 12th, 2024

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Friday - Sunday will be bad. Weekdays in the Summer - once near & on the Cape will be bad.

But Uber to the Cape from Brockton? I can’t image the cost. I would try to compare the cost of renting a car vs Uber. I confess, I would be stunned if Uber was cheaper. 

I used to spend the first two weeks in September in Wellfleet (lower Cape). Once Labor Day weekend was over, it was an entirely different world. And if you make it to P’town (Provincetown) look to see if there is still a Portuguese bakery near the center of town. If there is, you just might want to pop in. 

Gee, there used to be a ferry from Boston over to Provincetown. You could see if that still operates. That might be a fun way to get there. You might be a bit limited in the area you visit, but that is a fun place to walk around. And you would not encounter any of the horrific traffic. 

I’m assuming Plymouth is considered on the Cape?

(I was thinking it was the peninsula part????)

Edited by TiogaCruiser

52 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Darn close, but not on it. At least by my definition. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So what type of traffic would one expect in the third week of August from Boston to Plymouth?  
We’re planning a day trip prior to our cruise and it’s been suggested to take the train to Brockton, then Uber. I’m thinking of renting a car for the day, if we can pick one up early enough.

It would depend on what time you are heading out of Boston.  The traffic both coming and going in/out of Boston is a NIGHTMARE.  So many folks commute from both the north and south.

I would recommend the car rental over the train for sure.  It is not a long drive once you get out of the city and the roads are pretty good.

Parking in Plymouth is not free.  It is very nice to walk along the water front as well.  You would need to drive to visit several different places in Plymouth.

Any other questions please feel free to ask away.

Susan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

No Plymouth is NOT on Cape Cod but still just as pretty!

There is a ferry that runs from Plymouth to Ptown!

There might also be a ferry that runs from Boston to Ptown but I am not positive on that front.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hogladyrider said:

No Plymouth is NOT on Cape Cod but still just as pretty!

There is a ferry that runs from Plymouth to Ptown!

There might also be a ferry that runs from Boston to Ptown but I am not positive on that front.

My objective is to get to the Plymouth Plantation museum ( or whatever politically correct name they are going by these days).

Am looking at renting a car ( our hotel is near Long Wharf) on Sunday morning and driving down for the day.

Or Monday and doing the same.

The rental place opens at 8:00a, so maybe on the road by 9? Is that rush hour? ( I know it is still in LA, and if I was going downtown LA at that hour it would be by Metrolink (commuter rail).

Have also considered picking up the rental car at Logan and driving to the hotel, paying the $40 parking fee (foregoing Uber at $75) and having the car available whenever we’re ready to jump in traffic the next day to Plymouth. Then dropping at the garage in Boston that night ( so a 24 hour rental.)

Adding- the return to Boston post Plymouth would probably be about 8:00-9:00p

Is one of those options more sane than the others?😳

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2