Why are New York State insurance options different than the rest of the US?

We always have to call a special number or get a special policy for NYS residents. I see here we are not eligible for annual policies through you, 

Can you simply explain why NYS insurance policies are different? Are the policies better or worse for NY?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

I would like to know too. Why can’t we have CFAR?

It's part of New York's so called 'consumer protection' - I don't know if it is a law, or a regulation.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Lileesa said:

We always have to call a special number or get a special policy for NYS residents. I see here we are not eligible for annual policies through you, 

Can you simply explain why NYS insurance policies are different? Are the policies better or worse for NY?

Thanks!

Hi Lileesa,

The reason they are different is that each State regulates what insurance products are sold to its citizens. They allow plans that meet its laws.

> We always have to call a special number

I've never heard of a "special number" to call to get a policy for a NY resident.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

As I understand it.....

In Washington, we cannot purchase GeoBlue Annual Policies. I asked the State Insurance Commissioner via e-mail why. In a cryptic response, they said that I could if GeoBlue decided to sell in Washington. What?   My takeaway is that there is some fine print language in the GeoBlue contract that Washington doesn't like. If that was removed or changed, then Washington would approve for sale in the State.

Regarding the CFAR issue in NY. As I understand it, under the definition in NY of Insurance, NY doesn't consider CFAR to be "insurance" and therefore cannot be sold as an insurance policy. That is why cruise lines no longer sell travel insurance policies. They sell travel "Protection" policies that can include CFAR

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/13/2024 at 12:37 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Lileesa,

The reason they are different is that each State regulates what insurance products are sold to its citizens. They allow plans that meet its laws.

> We always have to call a special number

I've never heard of a "special number" to call to get a policy for a NY resident.

Steve Dasseos

Some cruise line websites (I know Royal/Celebrity does) provide a phone number for NY residents to obtain a quote directly from a carrier.