Nationwide Flexplus travel insurance

Balaena

I wonder if anyone else uses the Nationwide Flexplus travel insurance and what are your thoughts about it. It seems so cheap compared to Saga's insurance but is it worth it.

Have used it for the past six years. Excellent value @ £13 per month for Worldwide Cover. Have made two claims over that period & service has been very good with one claim paid into Bank in less than a week!. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

I used to have the Nationwide European insurance when it was included with the (free) Flexaccount. Made 2 small claims, both handled very well.

The cover was, in my opinion, better than the Saga insurance.

You can download the current policy books from the Nationwide website to see if you think it is suitable.

I have seen several reports on other forums where people have praised the cover (and the claims process).

I believe they may have changed some things, so things like "missed port cover" for cruises are not automatically included, have to be add-ons - but you are still covered for the cruise itself.

• Like 1

Yes if you are young enough and no ailments it’s £13 pm and it includes vehicle recovery insurance (£80?) but once you pass a certain age (I think 70 yrs?) there is a premium to be paid and last year mine was quoted at £95 for my wife and I (70 yrs plus I think) . Saga insurance if not used was a £52 (for two) refund thus it was cheaper to stay with Saga which I did and not renew my Nationwide travel insurance . I might add we are fortunate that our sole declared ailments were tablets for blood pressure otherwise Nationwide would have been even more costly.  You have to pay the £13 per month to Nationwide regardless of insurance if you have a “flex plus” account. Hope that assists. Get a quote first is my advice and don’t assume it’s cheap. I suppose if you do more than one big trip a year it may be better than Saga. 

• Like 1

I have just opened a Flexaccount Plus only for the Travel insurance. My husband has pre existing medical conditions for which Saga Cruises won't cover us. (Saga Travel Insurance will - at a very high cost). Before I opened the account I spoke to Aviva who will cover him for £227. We are both 77. With the £13 per month fee that is £383 for Worldwide cover - incredible. This also includes breakdown cover and mobile cover which we don't need!

Our current annual insurance with LV quoted us £766 for renewal and that was Europe only. Cruise cover for missed ports and cabin confinement must be taken for each cruise. Our next cruise - 14 nights Western Med was quoted at £22.50 for both of us. The insurance covers holidays costing up to £5000 - an additional payment is available for £7500 and £10000 holidays.  Our cover starts at the beginning of July and the first payment from the account is the last day in August.

I hope this helps - the account can be opened over the phone or online.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maesteggirl said:

I have just opened a Flexaccount Plus only for the Travel insurance. My husband has pre existing medical conditions for which Saga Cruises won't cover us. (Saga Travel Insurance will - at a very high cost). Before I opened the account I spoke to Aviva who will cover him for £227. We are both 77. With the £13 per month fee that is £383 for Worldwide cover - incredible. This also includes breakdown cover and mobile cover which we don't need!

Our current annual insurance with LV quoted us £766 for renewal and that was Europe only. Cruise cover for missed ports and cabin confinement must be taken for each cruise. Our next cruise - 14 nights Western Med was quoted at £22.50 for both of us. The insurance covers holidays costing up to £5000 - an additional payment is available for £7500 and £10000 holidays.  Our cover starts at the beginning of July and the first payment from the account is the last day in August.

Thank you for you thoughts on this, looks like we will be going down this route.

2 hours ago, maesteggirl said:

HI there

Hope you don't mind me asking but did you open a completely new Flex Plus account or did you switch from an existing current account with another bank.

I'm attracted by the benefits but would be reluctant to go through the hassle of doing a switch from my current provider.

Also if you opened a new account, what restrictions were placed on you in terms of funds being paid in monthly and direct debits etc being transacted?

Many thanks

I opened this account for Travel Insurance only. You can pay the £13 monthly or as a lump sum as long as funds are there at the end of the month when payment is taken. It operates exactly as our main current account with a High Street bank. It is a joint account and we both have debit cards and a small 'card machine' to verify payments if needed. We have no intention of using the account apart from travel insurance. It was also very easy to speak to a 'real person' both at Nationwide and Aviva.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, maesteggirl said:

I opened this account for Travel Insurance only. You can pay the £13 monthly or as a lump sum as long as funds are there at the end of the month when payment is taken. It operates exactly as our main current account with a High Street bank. It is a joint account and we both have debit cards and a small 'card machine' to verify payments if needed. We have no intention of using the account apart from travel insurance. It was also very easy to speak to a 'real person' both at Nationwide and Aviva.

Many thanks for your response clarifying how you went about obtaining your Flex Plus travel insurance. I will now call Nationwide direct to discuss setting up a similar account for my wife and me.

Even if I have to pay one or more supplements to cover age or specific medical conditions, it will still be a better prospect than some other providers appear to be quoting

4 hours ago, maesteggirl said:

• 1 month later...

One major positive with Nationwide FlexPlus Aviva annual policy is that if you have a pre-existing medical conditions upgrade then it covers you for medical conditions arising during the year - so no last minute panics if you get a new diagnosis.

Not all insurance policies are like this.

• Like 2

Just had a payout of £150 each for a missed port from Nationwide Flex Plus Insurance. Saga Reception onboard provided us with a letter detailing the circumstances so claiming was easy.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kohima said:

Just had a payout of £150 each for a missed port from Nationwide Flex Plus Insurance. Saga Reception onboard provided us with a letter detailing the circumstances so claiming was easy.

We got the same from LV on a Scandinavian cruise in July.  
The included Saga insurance doesn’t have missed ports cover.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 11:44 PM, Cruise-Cat said:

One major positive with Nationwide FlexPlus Aviva annual policy is that if you have a pre-existing medical conditions upgrade then it covers you for medical conditions arising during the year - so no last minute panics if you get a new diagnosis.

Not all insurance policies are like this.

Yes, the really helpful agent (Matthew) stressed that when we went through medical screening last week. It's excellent.