3 nights post stay disembarking in Monaco

12 minutes ago, marazul said:

Many people do not know this, but there is a ski resort in the Maritime Alps only 1.5 hours from Nice. It is called Isola 2000. The ride up there is beautiful and it would be worth doing on one extra day in the area.

Isn't that's the truth. I still think of our wonderful apartment with the view of the Baie des Anges.

We've made day return bus trips to Valberg several times. As someone who drove coaches on Loch Lomond side very early in my transport career I love watching the drivers handling the corners in the Gorges du Cians. I wear my seatbelt these days though!

• Haha 1

We have never really explored the Alpes-Maritime area and this thread is given me lots of ideas for a future visit :).  But curious if one is better off heading up (from Nice) to that area with a car, or if the train is a better option.  I am a big fan of rental/leased cars since that makes it more convenient to explore lots of small villages.

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have never really explored the Alpes-Maritime area and this thread is given me lots of ideas for a future visit :).  But curious if one is better off heading up (from Nice) to that area with a car, or if the train is a better option.  I am a big fan of rental/leased cars since that makes it more convenient to explore lots of small villages.

Hank

The train is for the experience of an old steam train through great landscapes. It is just a leisurely day out. However, see if you can rent a car in Dignes and take it from there.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, marazul said:

We have taken this train a couple of times. Once as a round trip to Annot. Once to Digne

15 hours ago, D&N said:

We travelled on Train des Pignes to Digne and back many years ago.

I should have guessed that both of you would have taken this train in part or for the full run.  I thought to throw it into the mix as I have never seen it mentioned here on CC, and why would it as it is not port call friendly.

More years ago than I care to remember, I had cut the description from a travel feature and tucked it away as a  potential future outing. My memory of having it was jogged a little before the world closed in 2020 when it popped up again in a different travel article. Some day we might even get there.....😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, marazul said:

We have never really explored the Alpes-Maritime area and this thread is given me lots of ideas for a future visit :).

Hank, have you ever driver la Route Napoleon in part or in full? If not do read about it online.You can join and/or  leave at different locations without having to drive the full distance.

We only drove some of it, direction south to north,detouring along the way to sightsee, including to  the magnificent Gorges du Verdon, but as our time was running out,ended at .Moustiers Sainte-Marie where we overnighted before heading south again to return the rental and head to the airport.

42 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Hank, have you ever driver la Route Napoleon in part or in full? If not do read about it online.You can join and/or  leave at different locations without having to drive the full distance.

We only drove some of it, direction south to north,detouring along the way to sightsee, including to  the magnificent Gorges du Verdon, but as our time was running out,ended at .Moustiers Sainte-Marie where we overnighted before heading south again to return the rental and head to the airport.

We have never driven that entire route, but have done the section between Cannes and Grasse.  And we have driven (many times) between Cannes and Nice.  Most of our longer driving trips (in France) have been about the wine growing areas and the chateau country (mostly the Loire valley Valley).

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have never driven that entire route, but have done the section between Cannes and Grasse.

Hank the drive between Cannes and Nice is not really on la Route Napoleon. And such a short drive between Cannes and Grasse you barely scratched the surface.   Next time go further to the more scenic sections and to the Gorges du Verdon.😀

13 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Hank the drive between Cannes and Nice is not really on la Route Napoleon. And such a short drive between Cannes and Grasse you barely scratched the surface.   Next time go further to the more scenic sections and to the Gorges du Verdon.😀

This thread has already started to thinking/planning.  We have been looking for an excuse (really don't need one) to spend a few weeks in Paris sometime next year.  I had already started looking for apartment rentals in St Germain des Pres, when this thread popped onto our radar.  A few weeks in Paris, along with a few weeks (with a leased car) in the south, does might be the basis for a trip 🙂    In the past, we have disembarked from some cruises (in both the north and south of France) and continued with a long driving trip.  Lots of options which is when I have a lot of fun working out an itinerary.

Hank

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Lots of options which is when I have a lot of fun working out an itinerary.

For some of us the planning is part of the enjoyment, for others a nightmare.

Sounds like a plan.  You could have "a train, a plane and an automobile" combo.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

I should have guessed that both of you would have taken this train in part or for the full run.  I thought to throw it into the mix as I have never seen it mentioned here on CC, and why would it as it is not port call friendly.

More years ago than I care to remember, I had cut the description from a travel feature and tucked it away as a  potential future outing. My memory of having it was jogged a little before the world closed in 2020 when it popped up again in a different travel article. Some day we might even get there.....😉

It made me smile when you mentioned it. We even have a framed poster of the train. I posted about the train in CC a while back. I don't know if it still available. Same about the Gorges du Verdon.

We love the Arrière Pays (back country).  There are some great rides, including the white-knucle drive up to Saint-Martin-Vésubie. @D&N already mentioned the Gorges du Cians.  Seatbelts and parachutes required.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, marazul said:

We even have a framed poster of the train. I posted about the train in CC a while back. I don't know if it still available

and we still have a poster which we bought at the Fondation Maecht and had framed once home😀

.Lovely to still have these memories is it not?

We combined a visit to the Fondation with the Chapelle Matisse when visiting Vence and St Paul de Vence.

23 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Lots of options which is when I have a lot of fun working out an itinerary.

Hank, have you already visited the above?

21 hours ago, marazul said:

already mentioned the Gorges du Cians.  Seatbelts and parachutes required.

And leave space in your luggage for not one but two parachutes as "Mrs Hank" won't want to be the only one of you without one.😁

• Like 1

Yeah Edinburgher, St Paul de Vence and the Maeght are old friends.  Just to reminisce, back in the 80s, DW and I cruised on the budget ship "Regent Spririt" (Regency Cruise Lines) which was a small vessel doing cruises from the old port of Nice.   Our turn around day (docked in Nice) was on a Sunday, We asked one the ship's entertainers, who was from Nice, "what should we do in NIce on a Sunday.."  He told us to go to St Paul de Vence.  We really loved that first visit and have been back at least 10 times.  It is also a place we recommend here on CC, although getting there does favor folks who have a rental car from either Nice or Cannes.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Unpopular opinion here, but I would not stay in Nice. It’s sprawling, dirty, gritty and crowded all times of year because it’s a more of a working city than a charming town. The market is not authentic and the old town is the least beautiful in the area. Yes, the water is a stunning turquoise blue and the Chagall Museum is fantastic, but that’s it. Antibes is close to the airport and is very compact. The charming old town has so many hidden gems and pretty alleyways that are empty in the mornings and evenings after day trippers leave. The villages west of Nice or my favorite in the Côte d’Azur region, 

I also like Menton a lot more than Monaco or Villefranche. It has the same colorful architecture, but there’s more of it and it’s more interesting. It also gets sunshine 300 days per year. So the weather might be better in April. 

We spend a month in Nice in the spring every other year and love it.  Our favorite restaurant is https://www.lacantinedememe.fr.  The owner is charming and the food is outstanding- better than some of the Michelin restaurants we have been to in France.  Our apartment is directly across the courtyard and we often stop over to say hello as well as for lunch and dinner.  Nice is a great base with trains and busses for day trips.  If you want a more authentic market - go to Liberation where the locals shop - not far from the  train  station and on the tram 1 line. We did most of our shopping there.  There is a rotisserie chicken place across the street from the market by the tram stop that is the best in the city.  There is always a line to get in, but so worth it.  

On 8/11/2024 at 11:39 AM, Hlitner said:

He told us to go to St Paul de Vence.  We really loved that first visit and have been back at least 10 times.  It is also a place we recommend here on CC, although getting there does favor folks who have a rental car from either Nice or Cannes.

We love going there.  Unfortunately the direct bus from Nice was discontinued.  We now take the train to Cannes-sur-mer and then the bus or an Uber to St. Paul de Vence.  You can also take the bus from Nice to Vence and then either a bus or Uber to St. Paul de Vence.  If in the area, it’s also worth it to stop in Biot ( very small village)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, swin26 said:

Biot

Biot is a wonderful medieval village with some very good restaurants, especially the Restaurant les Arcades for traditional Provençal cooking.  Their Soupe au Pistou is excellent. They serve traditional Aïoli on Wednesdays.

Biot is also the home of La Verrerie (Glassworks) de Biot. It makes the traditional bubble glass in just about every color you can imagine, not to mention beautiful art pieces.  I have a set of their wine glasses and several vases which we got when we lived in the area.  They will ship if you can't carry it back.

If you are renting a car, you can easily go to St Paul first thing in the morning, then to Biot and end in Antibes.  

28 minutes ago, marazul said:

Biot is a wonderful medieval village with some very good restaurants, especially the Restaurant les Arcades for traditional Provençal cooking.  Their Soupe au Pistou is excellent. They serve traditional Aïoli on Wednesdays.

Biot is also the home of La Verrerie (Glassworks) de Biot. It makes the traditional bubble glass in just about every color you can imagine, not to mention beautiful art pieces.  I have a set of their wine glasses and several vases which we got when we lived in the area.  They will ship if you can't carry it home

If you are renting a car, you can easily go to St Paul first thing in the morning, then to Biot and end in Antibes.  

Good morning marazul!  So….would you recommend this itinerary when renting a car, or another route you highlighted St Paul, Vence, Tourette’s-sur-Loup, Gourdon (or Antibes)?  
this recent suggestion of Biot sounds interesting as well. 
So many beautiful choices!

10 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Good morning marazul!  So….would you recommend this itinerary when renting a car, or another route you highlighted St Paul, Vence, Tourette’s-sur-Loup, Gourdon (or Antibes)?  
this recent suggestion of Biot sounds interesting as well. 
So many beautiful choices!

Well, you are going to be there for a few days. You could certainly visit Nice the day you arrive and the next morning and then drive to Biot and Antibes in the afternoon.  Then do the longer loop on the full day.  Biot is very small and it would not take as much time so it would be better on a shorter segment. There is a lot of parking in Port Vauban right outside the Antibes city walls.  Maybe you could end up having dinner in Antibes. 

Expect traffic, but you could drive from Biot down through Juan-les-Pins and do the drive around Cap d'Antibes on the way to Antibes.  In Juan, make sure you drive down to the beach road and follow it around the Cap. Get down by the water- Bord de Mer signs. Don't follow the signs for a short cut to Antibes.  It is less than charming.

In other words, I can't pick one over the other.  However, the original loop I mentioned would have more sightseeing impact and variety for a first visit.

BTW - there is an underground parking garage on the Quai des Etats Unis a short walk from your hotel.  The closer, open parking by the port used to be horrendously expensive.  But check with the hotel. They may have arrangements for parking.

• Like 1

Thank you marazul, once again!  In looking at these towns, they are all simply charming and beautiful! We may just stick to the original recommendations you made. We tend to be pretty flexible on our land portions when we travel. This is such great information to have, and we have time to plan! 

• Like 1