Help with the Tube

10 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

I absolutely agree with your choice of Tube line, but Westminster is significantly closer to the Park Plaza than Embankment, so I'd head there straight over the bridge. 

Thank you!

5 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

catch the Waterloo & City line

Rule 2 of Cruise Critic: NEVER use the Drain!

To be fair, it is a lot better after the refurbishment 20-ish (?) years ago. Although I haven't used it post-COVID, I would not recommend it to a tourist at 0830 heading to the City...

Some specific answers to your specific questions:

On 7/14/2024 at 7:19 PM, dickinson said:

When coming from LHR we are taking the Piccadilly line and changing trains at Baron's Court or Hammersmith.  I know it is just a cross platform change (I read it on here somewhere) but I want to make sure we don't get on a train going in the wrong direction!

A simple answer to this one: You can't. If you do the cross-platform change, every train will be bound for Tower Hill, Barking or Upminster (except when there are disruptions). All of these trains go to Westminster and beyond.

After that change we are changing at Westminster stop to the Jubilee line for one stop to the Waterloo station.  Again, what direction should we be looking for?

The Jubilee Line is well signed. There are escalators down from the District Line platform, about half way along the platform. You then need to go down a second escalator. Then you will be at the level where the eastbound Jubilee Line platform is.

Another day we are going from Westminster station to Tower Hill.  My research says to go on the District line or Circle line to Tower Hill Station.  That is not the end of the line so how do I know which actual train to get on?

Every train from the eastbound District Line platform at Westminster goes to Tower Hill, including Circle Line trains.

From Tower Hill we go to Victoria tube station.  Again, which train direction?

Westbound platforms: every train goes to Victoria, including Circle Line trains.

At Tower Hill, there are two westbound platforms, on either side of the same island. I think they're technically platforms 1 and 2. Platform 2 is the reversing platform, where eastbound trains terminating at Tower Hill turn around and head west again. It usually takes at least 4 or 5 minutes to turn around, and often much more if the train waits for its timetabled slot. So don't jump onto a train on Platform 2 just because it's there (especially if it's only just arrived). Check the train indicators on both sides to see which platform to use for the first westbound train out.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, babyclaytonmom said:

is Victoria Station bad with luggage?

I don’t know it well, but it is one of the busiest Underground Stations. I suspect it mainly depends what time of day and where you are moving between.

A few random general tips on using the Tube, seeing as this thread’s an opportunity for them:

1. If you’re in a line of people passing through the ticket gates, you do not need to wait for the gates to shut before you touch your card on the card reader. As long as your card has been read, you are clear to walk on through the gates.

2. Don’t walk right into the gate or stand right up against the gate paddles when you touch your card on the card reader. You can trip the anti-tailgating sensor, which will stop the card reader working. Instead, hold your card out slightly ahead of you. If you’re using a card rather than a phone to pay, this also gives you the best chance of being able to walk through without stopping.

3. There are all sorts of things you can look at when you touch your card on the card reader. But actually, there’s only one thing that you should look at: the coloured light next to the reader pad. This is yellow when the reader is ready to read the card. When it turns green (and beeps once), it means that your card has been properly read and you can walk on through the gates. If it turns red, then your card hasn’t been properly read and you should try again. (If this happens when the gate paddles are shut, they won’t open.) You may have to take a step back to untrip the anti-tailgating sensor.

4. When you get to the platform, don’t just stand there. You’ll be blocking the way for everyone behind you. Move along the platform to make space for others. And you’ll have a better chance of getting more personal space, compared to the bit of the train that will be packed with all the lemmings that just stopped as soon as they got onto the platform.

5. You don’t have to get onto the first train, unless you’re really in a screaming hurry. If the first train is packed, waiting for the next one could make things much more comfortable. Especially if the next train is only a minute or two behind – the platform indicators will normally show you how far behind they are. Sometimes a one-minute wait makes all the difference between standing in a sardine can and having several seats to yourself.

6. If you’re going to change trains, work out which line you’re changing to and in which direction you’ll then be heading, before you get to the station where you’re going to change. The first journey is good thinking time and space. Realising that you're not in Kansas only when you've just stepped onto a busy platform is not so good.

7. On escalators, stand on the right.

8. Also on escalators, ignore the signs that require you to carry a dog. Most of us don’t have dogs with us.

9. Oh, and MIND THE GAP!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

A few random general tips on using the Tube, seeing as this thread’s an opportunity for them:

4. When you get to the platform, don’t just stand there. You’ll be blocking the way for everyone behind you. Move along the platform to make space for others. And you’ll have a better chance of getting more personal space, compared to the bit of the train that will be packed with all the lemmings that just stopped as soon as they got onto the platform.

And the same applies when you get on the train. Move on inside, don’t stop in the doorways, or you’ll impede those behind.

• 2 weeks later...

Flew July 24 arrived 25th to LHR...headed to Picadilly line and it was Shut down...gates across...worker standing there...i did not consider this!  Brain fuzzy from overnight flight.  Told mechanical issues.  Advised to take elizabeth line (more $) to different station.  Ended up dragging luggage about 8 additional blocks to hotel.  Best advise..have a backup plan.  Several londoners told me picadilly line this happens often.

2 hours ago, LINDAE3213 said:

Best advise..have a backup plan.  Several londoners told me picadilly line this happens often.

On the morning of 25 July there was a signal failure at Stamford Brook. Disruption for unexpected reasons like this can (and does) happen on any line at any time. If anything, our collective impression is that the Elizabeth Line currently suffers more short notice disruption than the Piccadilly Line (but is still phenomenally popular).