Condition of Reflection

13 minutes ago, kaerofan said:

Not much to do/entertainment.  Food was just o.k.  Extra costs associated with everything. We did enjoy our room and the balcony was lovely.

I’ve never been on Princess - what are some things that are free on Princess, but not on Celebrity?

14 hours ago, kaerofan said:

Not much to do/entertainment.  Food was just o.k.  Extra costs associated with everything. We did enjoy our room and the balcony was lovely.

Thanks for your comments. Whilst we enjoy the ‘laid back’ feel of Celebrity it definitely has less activities and entertainment choices than the options on a line like RC…

I appreciate all the comments as this is a great way to learn.  After reading, we decided to book the big Beyond, mostly due to suite price for 10 days was less expensive than a 8 or 9 day on an S class.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 5:54 AM, the penguins said:

even better is to raise your concerns on the ship. I have heard the Hotel Director ask passengers to do this over and over again because otherwise you are not giving them the opportunity to put it right or to explain why they can't. 

I totally agree with you, the penguins.  I can't count the number of conversations I have had with hotel directors about paz should voice concerns while ON BOARD in order to give staff a chance to remedy the problem.  DH and I have done that on several occasions and it is incredible how pleased staff are that they have been advised of the problem (since nobody can mind-read) and given the chance to fix it.  Staff want paz to have a great cruise.  Complaining in a post survey or on social media after the cruise doesn't give anyone a chance to make the cruise better for that particular paz..  Just my 2 cents worth.😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SusieAV8R said:

I totally agree with you, the penguins.  I can't count the number of conversations I have had with hotel directors about paz should voice concerns while ON BOARD in order to give staff a chance to remedy the problem.  DH and I have done that on several occasions and it is incredible how pleased staff are that they have been advised of the problem (since nobody can mind-read) and given the chance to fix it.  Staff want paz to have a great cruise.  Complaining in a post survey or on social media after the cruise doesn't give anyone a chance to make the cruise better for that particular paz..  Just my 2 cents worth.😂

Updating suite decor and refurbishing suites are not things that a hotel director can fix. These are strategic decisions made at a higher management level.

4 hours ago, Syd58 said:

Updating suite decor and refurbishing suites are not things that a hotel director can fix. These are strategic decisions made at a higher management level.

Clearly there are limits but we have had beds replaced and drapes. However only raising issues on the Survey guarantees that nothing can be done.

Personally we preferred the old cabin colour scheme to the new. The only improvement was the removal of the "lacy" curtain on the inside of the main drapes. Regrettably the refurb of the standard cabins did not include upgrading any of the electric sockets nor adding any USB points next to the beds.

We had the same cabin before and after and it still had the same broken runners in the shower (pre we were told it would be fixed during: after we were told no new runners were available) and the same broken drawer front (the cabin steward got it glued back on.

Change from Cellar Masters to Craft Local (a sports bar) seemed very popular.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

Agree…We have had very few issues on board to complain about but when we have we have always felt listened to.

I think we also board knowing what to expect…We won’t be upset by dated decor in our suite we are expecting that. I am also expecting to see a bit of wear and tear here and there. I know the ship is older and hasn’t been upgraded. However, if anything isn’t working, or something is really shabby then I will raise it on board. I would hope they can address most things. Even if it is an issue they can’t immediately fix for me then hopefully they will be able to for the next occupants…

Posts like this are useful in that you can get an idea about so many things about the ship and if anything is likely to mar your experience. For example, last time we were on board Michael’s Club was really busy…Perhaps because they have significantly more suites to look after than other S class ships. It didn’t spoil our cruise but for suite guests who spend most evenings in Michael’s then it could be an issue. 

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, chemmo said:

Agree…We have had very few issues on board to complain about but when we have we have always felt listened to.

I think we also board knowing what to expect…We won’t be upset by dated decor in our suite we are expecting that. I am also expecting to see a bit of wear and tear here and there. I know the ship is older and hasn’t been upgraded. However, if anything isn’t working, or something is really shabby then I will raise it on board. I would hope they can address most things. Even if it is an issue they can’t immediately fix for me then hopefully they will be able to for the next occupants…

Posts like this are useful in that you can get an idea about so many things about the ship and if anything is likely to mar your experience. For example, last time we were on board Michael’s Club was really busy…Perhaps because they have significantly more suites to look after than other S class ships. It didn’t spoil our cruise but for suite guests who spend most evenings in Michael’s then it could be an issue. 

Not a fan of the Retreat Lounge on the S class ships, it is so much nicer on the E class ships.

We've on on the Reflection twice in the past year, one a standard balcony the other in Aqua class. First was 7-day Eastern Caribbean, second was B2B 3 day-4 day Bahamas with Bimini and Coco Cay. The Reflection is in great shape. If I had to be critical, I'd say stateroom colors show their age but had to dig deep for that. Its definitely not as fancy as Edge class but I doubt that is a concern for avid cruisers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m8zenblue said:

We have cruised on the Reflection several times.

Sure, it's an older ship and shows it's age, but, in my opinion, it's a very homey atmosphere, less people and wonderful staff.

I totally get folks allegiance to a specific ship, lots and lots of reasons for that for sure.  For me though, if (and I do) pay Ritz Carlton prices for sailing on Celebrity, I don't want to feel like I'm on a floating Comfort Inn.  Because of this, I will only sail on EClass ships with Celebrity.  

2 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

What do you mean they changed Cellar Masters to a sports bar?  That makes me sooo sad.

This is part of the change when the ship's are revitalised along with: extra cabins, new colour scheme/drapes/beds in all cabins, and new electrics/usb points in suites.

With regard to Cellar Masters the conversion has changed a dull drab space with heavy furniture that was hardly used into a light bright bar with multiple tv sets that is generally busy.

2 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

We have cruised on the Reflection several times.

Sure, it's an older ship and shows it's age, but, in my opinion, it's a very homey atmosphere, less people and wonderful staff.

A lot to be said for that…I am increasingly happy with my choice of Reflection for next year…

3 hours ago, Jaworskym said:

We've on on the Reflection twice in the past year, one a standard balcony the other in Aqua class. First was 7-day Eastern Caribbean, second was B2B 3 day-4 day Bahamas with Bimini and Coco Cay. The Reflection is in great shape. If I had to be critical, I'd say stateroom colors show their age but had to dig deep for that. Its definitely not as fancy as Edge class but I doubt that is a concern for avid cruisers. 

I can cope with dated stateroom colours…I will blend in…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaworskym said:

We've on on the Reflection twice in the past year, one a standard balcony the other in Aqua class. First was 7-day Eastern Caribbean, second was B2B 3 day-4 day Bahamas with Bimini and Coco Cay. The Reflection is in great shape. If I had to be critical, I'd say stateroom colors show their age but had to dig deep for that. It’s definitely not as fancy as Edge class but I doubt that is a concern for avid cruisers. 

IMO, Reflection cabin decor is outdated and many cabins are showing some wear. We want our cabin to be at least as nice as our home. 

1 hour ago, Liao said:

I totally get folks allegiance to a specific ship, lots and lots of reasons for that for sure.  For me though, if (and I do) pay Ritz Carlton prices for sailing on Celebrity, I don't want to feel like I'm on a floating Comfort Inn.  Because of this, I will only sail on EClass ships with Celebrity.  

Couldn’t have said it any better, although I wouldn’t say Reflection is comparable to Comfort Inn. The public spaces are very nice.

Edited by Syd58
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, the penguins said:

This is part of the change when the ship's are revitalised along with: extra cabins, new colour scheme/drapes/beds in all cabins, and new electrics/usb points in suites.

With regard to Cellar Masters the conversion has changed a dull drab space with heavy furniture that was hardly used into a light bright bar with multiple tv sets that is generally busy.

That makes me sad.  We were on the Edge in June, and there was NO place to find nice wine and a quieter atmosphere to enjoy it.  

• Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 3:39 AM, chemmo said:

Chemmo, thanks for the valuable tip regarding managing expectations such as Michael's club bing busier on Reflection than one might expect from other experiences.  Was this in the evening?  Before or after dinner?

On 9/15/2024 at 10:17 PM, Syd58 said:

True, but see chemmo's posting (#70) about learning from posts like this to dicide whether such will mar your cruise experience and then perhaps make an early decision to try something else. (Incidentally I think suite decor etc is like artwork:  different viewers have different opinions.  But again, cheemmo made some excellent points also in #66).)

4 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

Chemmo, thanks for the valuable tip regarding managing expectations such as Michael's club bing busier on Reflection than one might expect from other experiences.  Was this in the evening?  Before or after dinner?

I think that there were a few reasons that we found it busier than usual on S class. We tended to visit pre dinner. 

Firstly there were generally more suite guests in. As you are probably aware Michael’s/Retreat can often be very quiet…With so many Sky Suites on Reflection (and signature suites) this is understandable. 

Also the waitress was not organised and also not well supported by the bar waiter. She would take an order, bring the beer for my DH and then we would have to remind her ten minutes later I still hadn’t got my cosmopolitan…Happened a few times and not just to us…She also didn’t write down orders but took several table orders at once then sometimes got things wrong. We did mention it to the suite manager when we bumped into him and the situation did improve.

The ambiance in Michael’s this cruise was a little marred by a group of four guests (two couples) in RS’s. Fortunately entitled guests are rare on Celebrity but Mr ‘I’m in a RS’ and friends sat at the bar every evening dominating the bar waiter and were loud…

I think our experience was not totally typical for the above reasons. However, there are more suites on Reflection than other S class ships so I would expect on our next cruise for both Michael’s and Luminae to be busier than usual…

Really looking forward to our Reflection cruise…A few more guests in the Retreat Lounge/Michaels can be a positive as well as a negative…We have been on cruises where it was too quiet!

On 9/17/2024 at 3:54 PM, screwsmcernst said:

What do you mean they changed Cellar Masters to a sports bar?  That makes me sooo sad.

I think its still Cellar Masters, but, it's like a sports bar with lots of tv screens.

On 9/17/2024 at 3:19 PM, Liao said:

Wow, you sound a bit above everyone else, some can't afford your high style cruising.

nothing wrong with a "lower class" ship.

1 hour ago, m8zenblue said:

Wow, you sound a bit above everyone else, some can't afford your high style cruising.

nothing wrong with a "lower class" ship.

Did you miss where I said “for me”.  And “lower class” is your quote not mine, I NEVER said that.  

Edited by Liao