NYC Big band Jazz

9 hours ago, HopefulCruiser123 said:

Does this sort of thing still exist?  Is there a venue in New York that offers big band jazz?  Or is that truly a thing of the past?

We like swing 46, on restaurant row , I have a cousin who plays drums there often , many times it’s a dozen or more musicians. On 46st between 8th and 9th ave.

10 hours ago, HopefulCruiser123 said:

Does this sort of thing still exist?  Is there a venue in New York that offers big band jazz?  Or is that truly a thing of the past?

Birdland does have big band but it will depend on the night-- check out the calendar as there is other types of jazz they put on as well. Blue Note and Smoke are two other clubs that I've enjoyed over the years but both of them are more about smaller trios etc and not the big band style you're looking for. Birdland is most likely your best bet for specifically big band. 

If you're ever in Chicago, the Green Mill always has a big band act on Thursday evenings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Birdland does have big band but it will depend on the night-- check out the calendar as there is other types of jazz they put on as well. Blue Note and Smoke are two other clubs that I've enjoyed over the years but both of them are more about smaller trios etc and not the big band style you're looking for. Birdland is most likely your best bet for specifically big band. 

If you're ever in Chicago, the Green Mill always has a big band act on Thursday evenings. 

Those all have cover charge but great places . Swing46 you can see and hear the music by the bar area for no fee, if you get a table in dance floor area then you have a cover charge. 

4 hours ago, George C said:

Those all have cover charge but great places

Haven't been to many jazz clubs that don't charge a cover. One that I forgot about in my first response but thought of later is the Cafe Carlyle. This won't be a full big band but they are doing jazz shows that are from that era-- they are opening with Tony Danza singing Sinatra in early September. Cafe Carlyle will be one of the more expensive options-- bar seats have a $110 cover and tables are $150 to $200 per person cover for a table plus an F&B minimum-- but it's quite an experience. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Haven't been to many jazz clubs that don't charge a cover. One that I forgot about in my first response but thought of later is the Cafe Carlyle. This won't be a full big band but they are doing jazz shows that are from that era-- they are opening with Tony Danza singing Sinatra in early September. Cafe Carlyle will be one of the more expensive options-- bar seats have a $110 cover and tables are $150 to $200 per person cover for a table plus an F&B minimum-- but it's quite an experience. 

Carlyle gets fantastic acts went once a decade or so ago. I saw that they had Herb Albert and his wife playing there, saw them in Dallas a couple of times within last few years , he is still a fantastic musician, wife was lead singer for Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66,  Tony Danza  was just at 54 below which we also love.

On 7/18/2024 at 10:20 AM, George C said:

We like swing 46, on restaurant row , I have a cousin who plays drums there often , many times it’s a dozen or more musicians. On 46st between 8th and 9th ave.

Thanks for the recommendation.  Will be in NYC a few days before cruise, we just made a dinner reservation at Swing 46; $15 pp cover charge.  Looks like fun!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, vakamalua said:

Thanks for the recommendation.  Will be in NYC a few days before cruise, we just made a dinner reservation at Swing 46; $15 pp cover charge.  Looks like fun!

We normally eat at Becco’s very good Italian restaurant a few doors away then listen to music at Swing 46 or piano bar at Don’t tell mama which is also a few doors away.