Port of Hamburg

Mudhen

Our up coming cruise on the QM2 will be making two stops in Hamburg.

I have a couple of questions....

1) what dock does the QM2 use?

2) is there anything walkable from said pier...ie shops? cafes? pubs?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Our up coming cruise on the QM2 will be making two stops in Hamburg.

I have a couple of questions....

1) what dock does the QM2 use?

2) is there anything walkable from said pier...ie shops? cafes? pubs?

I think QM2 usually uses the 'Steinwerder' terminal https://www.cruisegate-hamburg.de/en/terminals/cruise-center-steinwerder/

• Thanks 1

There are 3 port locations, though one of them is being refurbished. I'm going to guess you are going via Steinwerder, since Altona tends to be QV (and is the easier to work around). But you can check on the Hamburg port authority's website to confirm this.

Steinwerder is only a few km from the centre of Hamburg, however the mighty Elbe separates the dock from the city. At the dock there is remarkably little to see or do, 

Cunard always lays on bus shuttles to the Rathaus square, free of charge, for those in transit. It takes about 20 minutes each way, depending on traffic, there are a few points of congestion en route.

Alternatively there is about a 15 minute walk to the Argentina Bridge (Argentinienbrücke) with a half hourly ferry service across to Landungsbrücken, which is the water front to central Hamburg and you can walk quite easily from there to the major sites. Don't rely on Google Maps for that ferry, look up ferry 73 on the main public transport provider for Hamburg, HVV, or ask me, since I know it very well. Depending on what you are doing it's a couple of Euro, and you can buy tickets in advance via the HVV website, there is a machine at Argentina Bridge but it's cash only.

There is an amazing institution about 5 - 10 minutes walk from the dock, Odo's Kaffeeklappe. It's just a guy who has a Portacabin by the side of the road and German truckers, port workers, taxi drivers will go out of their way to pick up his coffee to go, German burgers, meatballs, sausages, pastries. He doesn't speak that much English but pointing is usually ok and a taxi driver can usually help. I say institution since Hamburg used to have dozens of Klappe ("flaps" or "hatch"), and Odo is just about the last one left. The hatch concept was invented in England, but has pretty much died out here, but this most English of cities has a few left. Best to use cash.

https://fink.hamburg/2023/06/odos-imbiss-was-im-hamburger-hafen-wirklich-los-ist/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Steinwerder terminal which QM2 uses is in a very remote location of the vast port of Hamburg unfortunately.  I strongly recommend to use a shuttle bus or taxi to get into town. Its not in walking distance. 

• Like 2

Thanks for this.  I was going to ask a similar question.  We have booked private transport to Kiel when we get off the ship.  Will the driver be able to meet us at the ship or will we have to take a shuttle to a central location?

The water bus is excellent.  I cant remember the name of QV dock on the river but it was next to a water bus stop.  Many passengers including us bought tickets at the machine on the bus quay.  The vessels run a regular service up and down the river.  Check on line.  

We were in Hamburg recently on Queen Anne (also used the Steinwerder terminal) - we took the shuttle bus into town & then walked (7 minutes) to Miniatur Wunerland, the world's largest model railway.

Really interesting place & easily enough to keep you there all day (if you're looking at/for all the tiny details, anyway) - there is also a decent restaurant there with good prices (I paid 9 Euro for a Bratwurst with coke)

Would highly recommend.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Gallivant70 said:

Yes, the waterbus is very close by and how many Hamburgians and their children and pets commute to and from. If you have time I strongly recommend this. Of course if your car is picking you up, that's fine.

https://hadag.de/de/linien/75/

That is not the best way. That stop is a very long way from the cruise terminal, despite the name. If you walk that far then you may as well walk the foot tunnel under the Elbe. See post 3 regarding service 73, not 75, which goes from Argentinienbrücke. This is 15 minutes walk past the distinctive white Liebherr building 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Planning to cruise said:

The water bus is excellent.  I cant remember the name of QV dock on the river but it was next to a water bus stop.  Many passengers including us bought tickets at the machine on the bus quay.  The vessels run a regular service up and down the river.  Check on line.  

QV may well have docked at Altona, which is right next to the ferry stop Dockland (Fischereihafen). That's on another pair of ferry services to central Hamburg 61 and 62 so it's something like a 12 minute service frequency too. Unlike for the QM2 dock, the ticket machines at Dockland do take cards if you don't buy online, Buying online comes with a small discount. The great thing about using that ferry at Altona is that the ferry will give you a lovely external tour of QV as it navigates in and out of the quay. At Altona Cunard also lays on a free coach shuttle service to the Rathaus, it only take 10 minutes.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MylesS said:

We were in Hamburg recently on Queen Anne (also used the Steinwerder terminal) - we took the shuttle bus into town & then walked (7 minutes) to Miniatur Wunerland, the world's largest model railway.

Really interesting place & easily enough to keep you there all day (if you're looking at/for all the tiny details, anyway) - there is also a decent restaurant there with good prices (I paid 9 Euro for a Bratwurst with coke)

Would highly recommend.

We had hoped to visit Miniatur Wunderland on our QV visit to Hamburg last year.  Even trying to book entry tickets online some months before we found it fully booked.  You have to get in some time in adavance especially if like us you are there in school holidays.

After using the water bus to the new Elbe Philharmonie Hall we walked the waterside area passing Miniatur Wunderland but no chance of dropping in. 

The Philharmonie is well worth visiting to see the building and for views from the surrounding balcony terraces.   

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2024 at 10:28 PM, Gallivant70 said:

Yes, the waterbus is very close by and how many Hamburgians and their children and pets commute to and from. If you have time I strongly recommend this. Of course if your car is picking you up, that's fine.

https://hadag.de/de/linien/75/

This all refers to Altona terminal where QM2 is not able to dock as she is too long.

• Like 1