Ship Fail To Dock - Shore Excursion Coverage

Been looking at shore excursions for our Iceland Cruise next summer.  Two of our ports are small and fairly remote.  The company I would like to book with has a zero refund policy if the ship fails to dock at the last minute.  They will offer a refund with 48 hours notice.  I suspect that they have to travel some distance on the day the ship docks to pick up passengers and if it doesn’t dock they still have to pay the guide and cover expense to move the vehicle.  The cost of the excursions are not cheap.  Would trip insurance cover your loss under these circumstances?  

When you say - the "Company you would like to book with" are you talking about the cruise line?

Unfortunate if they do not refund you if they cannot dock.  I have actually experienced where the cruise line gave a credit voucher for a missed port AND refunded.

There has been some discussions here and there in the past about whether insurance covers missed ports...  don't remember what the final is, but I think that it would be hard to find.

Posted (edited)

This is a question we've never been quite clear on.

But we've always had private excursions who *would* refund if the ship didn't dock (but not if we were just no-shows, of course).

@iamtrustworthy

Steve, could you help out here?

I suspect many would like to know (and maybe it depends upon the specific insurer and policy...?)

This is only if the ship doesn't dock and there is a 3rd party excursion non-refundable.  Not for the "missed port" situation.

Thanks!

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

I specifically bought cruise insurance.  It has coverage that includes reimbursement for private excursions if the ship fails to dock.  I had originally bought a general travel policy, but when I checked the terms, it did not specifically say anything about cruise ports.  I was luckily within the window to cancel with no penalty, which I did, then bought a cruise policy with specific coverage for missed ports. 

I prefer private excursions!  🙂 

On 7/18/2024 at 5:00 PM, GeezerCouple said:

This is a question we've never been quite clear on.

But we've always had private excursions who *would* refund if the ship didn't dock (but not if we were just no-shows, of course).

@iamtrustworthy

Steve, could you help out here?

I suspect many would like to know (and maybe it depends upon the specific insurer and policy...?)

This is only if the ship doesn't dock and there is a 3rd party excursion non-refundable.  Not for the "missed port" situation.

Thanks!

GC

Hi GC,

Sorry about the delay responding. I was away for a few days, but thankfully I wasn't caught in the IT travel disaster.

This is tricky because nearly all our customers do the same as you by arranging with private excursion companies or individuals that would give them a full refund if the ship didn't dock.

A few years ago I asked all my companies this: "Are non-refundable excursions covered if a cruise ship misses or skips a port?"

Most of them said "Only if due to weather or mechanical breakdown". And, a few plans also state "In the event Your Travel Supplier makes a change in Your Trip itinerary after Your Scheduled Departure Date, which prevents You from participating in an event/activity Prepaid prior to departure and scheduled on Your Trip itinerary, non-refundable Prepaid event/activity expenses will be payable up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Confirmation of Benefits. Benefits".

Steve Dasseos

6 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi GC,

Sorry about the delay responding. I was away for a few days, but thankfully I wasn't caught in the IT travel disaster.

This is tricky because nearly all our customers do the same as you by arranging with private excursion companies or individuals that would give them a full refund if the ship didn't dock.

A few years ago I asked all my companies this: "Are non-refundable excursions covered if a cruise ship misses or skips a port?"

Most of them said "Only if due to weather or mechanical breakdown". And, a few plans also state "In the event Your Travel Supplier makes a change in Your Trip itinerary after Your Scheduled Departure Date, which prevents You from participating in an event/activity Prepaid prior to departure and scheduled on Your Trip itinerary, non-refundable Prepaid event/activity expenses will be payable up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Confirmation of Benefits. Benefits".

Steve Dasseos

Thanks Steve, as always.

That first bit, about weather or mechanical breakdown... I can't imagine getting - in writing(!) - either of these officially from the ship or cruiseline!

But I *think* (!?) this language helps:

"In the event Your Travel Supplier makes a change in Your Trip itinerary after Your Scheduled Departure Date, which prevents You from participating in an event/activity Prepaid prior to departure and scheduled on Your Trip itinerary, non-refundable Prepaid event/activity expenses will be payable up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Confirmation of Benefits. Benefits"

Or does the above quote need to be in conjunction *with* some "weather/breakdown" documentation?

Also, the "scheduled on Your Trip itinerary" -- what does this mean?

Does it mean our OWN "trip itinerary" as documented by receipt of payment from an excursion provider?  Or does it actually mean on the SHIP's printed itinerary, such as a ship-sponsored excursion?  (And the latter might be refunded anyway, compared with private excursions?)

Sorry for the questions about details, but that's where it's not clear.

Many thanks!

GC