Forward suite balcony

Hello to all Saga Ocean cruisers

I’m new to the Saga cruise forum and haven’t yet booked my first Saga cruise. 

Has anyone on this board been lucky enough to sail in a forward suite on Discovey? If you have, can you give me an idea of the size of the forward suite balconies? For some reason there are no photos of the balconies on Sagas website (unless I’ve just missed them) I’ve looked at photos of the outside of the ship but even though the website says that the forward suites have double size balconies, I can’t see any that look bigger than the balconies next to them.

Any help you can give would be appreciated 

Thanks

Lovely suite with no forward looking balcony. Frankly in my experience lovely as they are, the potential sea motion would be off putting. We tried a forward suite on a similar sized ship some years ago and the motion was awful while negotating poor sea conditions. Much better midships imo. Just a thought.

Thank you Balaena. We had considered the movement but decided to put that thought to one side until we could find some information about the balcony.
Has anyone seen any photos at all?

Posted (edited)

Thank you Janet

I’ve had a look and as you say it gives a glimpse. It’s a bit strange that there are no clear images! 

Edited by amcwaterfalls
Incorrect spelling

The balcony is to the side. Sheltered with sofa, chair and small table. We were on a trip to Norway and tended to use the forward lounge window with window seats for the panoramic view. Hope this helps.

Forward suites look great bargin compared to midship in terms of space per £.  But we've found Discovery and adventure to move quite  a bit,  in what for other ships would be moderate seas  (anything above 3m waves) Brittania lounge unusable. Be warned. 

Thank you nanikon,

Final balcony question; does the balcony actually get some sunshine, obviously only if it’s facing towards the sun, or is there an overhang that makes it shaded?

Thank you Windsurfboy,

As you’re the second person to mention the movement of the ship I think I need to see if I can find any reviews of winter Atlantic crossings before we commit! You’re scaring me off haha. 

Posted (edited)

We have crossed Atlantic last November to Caribbean,  fine in a Midship suite,  even so my wife needed a tablet. However it was bouncy in Aft speciality restaurants enough to make us cut meal short and same forward in Brittania lounge. Would be lucky to have a smoother  crossing.  Our 4m waves are about as good as it can get in winter, could be a lot worse.  Midship was fine

Edited by Windsurfboy

We stayed in B001 on SoD, gorgeous cabin, but the balcony is quite small compared to a mid suite, also we did feel the movement and bear in mind if you have the lights on in the bedroom, you must use the blinds so not to disturb the Bridge.

Thank you again Windsurfboy,

I think you may have made our minds up. We’ve sailed the BoB in near 10m waves but that was in a much bigger Celebrity ship. Let’s say it was an adventure 🤣 

Thank you snoopy4

You have surprised me - the blurb on the Saga website says that the balcony is double sized. Perhaps your reply about the size goes some way to explaining why there are no real photos of it! 

The mid ship suite is definitely double size, but the balcony on B001 is an odd shape, some of it disappearing under the metal work of the ship's bow.

AFAIK the Forward suites are different sizes. Maybe that's why there are no pictures. I've tried to see the balconies from the shore & they look like the open part is small.

Apart from the price I was put off them by being onboard when there was a medivac & they had to be vacated for the helicopter to winch the medics down & the patient up.

Aft suites have a double balcony & from shore it looks bigger because of the overhang on the forward ones.

Hi JMMKUK

Thanks that is helpful. I think I understand the layout better now - it seems that they are double size but that almost half of the space is enclosed by the shape of the ship. The forward suites look beautiful and so spacious inside so it’s a shame they have balconies that must feel small and quite shaded because of both the curve of the ship and the bridge above.

This is only indirectly linked to question asked.

Saga is the cruise line where we care the least about the balcony. The ships are spacious and we never have any difficulties finding for example a sun bed. Only place that gets full is around pool. You can always find a nice place outside to sit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

We were in forward suite earlier this year. The balcony is double depth. Some ‘extra’ wall is one end and the bridge the other. 
The proper aft suites have double length balconies. 
The front suites are very bumpy. I had to put pillows down side of bed when going down Bay of Biscay! 

Hi janecambridge,

Thank you for your reply. The balcony sounds much better if it’s double depth - we have taken the plunge and booked it anyway so we’ll keep our fingers crossed that both the BoB and the Atlantic are kind to us. This will be our first Saga cruise so we are really looking forward to.

13 hours ago, amcwaterfalls said:

Hi janecambridge, it’s the 30 night November 5th Caribbean on SoD 

See you on it, we'll be slumming it in a midship suite , Sea sickness tablets at the ready. 

They look stunning suites, and great value for the size per £ compared to other suites,  but my wife feels the movement so it's midship or dry land.

Haha hardly slumming it Windsurfboy 

Touch wood, on past cruises we’ve both been okay with the movement of the ship, but to be on the safe side we’ve bought both Seabands and Stugeron this time. 

25 minutes ago, amcwaterfalls said:

Haha hardly slumming it Windsurfboy 

Touch wood, on past cruises we’ve both been okay with the movement of the ship, but to be on the safe side we’ve bought both Seabands and Stugeron this time. 

You can ask your butler for some ginger. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, amcwaterfalls said:

Given Stugeron only works if you take it beforehand,  I  check weatheronline.co.uk for wave heights each night so can take tablets in time. Been reliable 

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/marine/weather?LEVEL=5&MEER=fatl

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1