AURORA freedom dinning

The App is not used on Aurora. If you are happy to share then there is a good chance you will be able to be seated straight away. If you require a specific sized table and it is not available you will be offered a pager. The maitre d did give an estimation of the waiting time when we were on Aurora last month.

6 hours ago, Bin man said:

If you ask fir freedom dinning do you still have to queue or take a buzzer or are you able to use the app if they use it 

Yes you have to queue and take a buzzer (even for breakfast).

It seems to change radically from cruise to cruise as some people have reported a really great experience with few issues and no waiting and others not.

Our most recent cruise (April 24) was dreadful with long waits to the point that we requested a move to fixed dining as that was better than the constant and endless waiting with a pager.

6 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Thanks again .You said even for breakfast ,did both mdrs open for breakfast and was that for a table for 2

No that was for any table regardless of size. We would have shared happily.

We went to the buffet when informed the queue was too long for the MDR. The buffet also had queues and cool food on offer.

I was on Aurora last month. I cannot comment on using the mdr for breakfast as I had breakfast delivered to my cabin or used the buffet. My earlier reply referred to evening dinner. I always asked for a table for two. Each night I was given a pager and would then enjoy a pre dinner drink in Andersons. I never had to wait more than 40 minutes before my table became available. 

4 hours ago, Bin man said:

Thanks again .You said even for breakfast ,did both mdrs open for breakfast and was that for a table for 2

Only one mdr (The Medina) is open for breakfast (and lunch).

• Like 1

Personally I've never seen pagers issued to passengers for breakfast in the Medina restaurant.

The only times that we have seen any great queues for breakfast in Medina was on the morning of disembarkation or when passengers have all decided to leave it to the last half hour of service.

There again we always breakfast fairly early in the service and enjoy a nice relaxed breakfast in an uncrowded civilised atmosphere.

Just got off Aurora yesterday, was a 2 week cruise and we had Freedom Dining. There is no app for the restaurants as others have said but we ate breakfast and dinner there everyday at differing times and never needed a buzzer. We always requested a table for 2 and the longest we had to wait was about 1 minute. 

3 hours ago, Pencil62 said:

Is the plan for the app to be introduced on Aurora in the future?

The non- app is used on Aurora, but not needed for booking mdr restaurants and entertainment.

You can use it for booking speciality restaurants (I think, never use them), booking excursions, accessing you on board account, checking your calendar which shows the itinerary and any bookings you have made. It also has The Horizon programme and that days edition of Britain Yesterday (Today) which has more pages than the printed one.

I find very useful and better than carrying multiple bits of paper around and having to go to reception (and more paper) or cabin TV (not on Aurora) to check your account.

1 hour ago, FangedRose said:

that days edition of Britain Yesterday (Today) which has more pages than the printed one.

Is that new? I’ve never noticed it before but my last P&O cruise was last year. If only they would put the lunch/evening menus on as well.

1 minute ago, smokey01 said:

Is that new? I’ve never noticed it before but my last P&O cruise was last year. If only they would put the lunch/evening menus on as well.

Relatively new. It wasn't on my Aug/Sept cruise last year. But, was on my most recent cruise in April/May.

Well bitten the bullet booked aurora peninsular cruise next year 16 nights around Britain 15% discount with extra £260 obc for and inside cabin with free parking or bus .£2868 PD GRADE using p and o extra 5%offer for peninsular email plus extra £200 obc plus 5% from TA in 2001 we paid £3276 +£98 car park and get this "£20" insurance for 14 night med cruise 

• Like 2

We are just off Aurora (July 7th - 21st) as well & had Freedom dining. We only used it for the evening meal & if we wanted to eat around 7pm the only option was a shared table. If you wanted a table for 2 you had to be there no later than 6:15 or wait until later. Most evening we wandered down around 6:45, picked up a pager, went to Andersons for a drink & then anytime from 7:20 onwards it would buzz to let us know a table for 2 was ready (apart from one night when the pager didn't work!)

So, is it really 'Freedom' dining? I guess Yes if you are happy to share, & not quite if you are looking at a table for 2.