Holland America Hotels in Rotterdam

On 7/21/2024 at 12:26 PM, VMax1700 said:

They use Rotterdam Hilton.

Aha !  That explains why the hotel is sold out for May 2025.  I thought it was an error on Hilton's website.

20 minutes ago, mlh0500 said:

Aha !  That explains why the hotel is sold out for May 2025.  I thought it was an error on Hilton's website.

I thought it may have been too early to book for May 2025 but some dates are showing sold out and a lot of dates are available.  

If you really want the Rotterdam Hilton (good for shopping area and easy walk from Rotterdam Centraal Station) then I would book dates around my required dates and wait for an opening to confirm my actual dates.  I would think that the hotel has 'blocked out' certain dates to see what bookings are like from HAL etc.  (eg if you are wanting to book 2 nights Friday & Saturday and they are showing sold out, try booking 3 nights - with the night prior to what you want or the night after.  You can then change the booking)

• Thanks 2

DW and I are also considering buying a hotel/transfers and possibly air through HAL when we cruise out of Rotterdam next year. Is the Rotterdam Hilton the only hotel they use? We're not terribly interested in staying in Amsterdam, been there, done that, took the dam boat tour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wehwalt said:

DW and I are also considering buying a hotel/transfers and possibly air through HAL when we cruise out of Rotterdam next year. Is the Rotterdam Hilton the only hotel they use? We're not terribly interested in staying in Amsterdam, been there, done that, took the dam boat tour.

Someone earlier said the New York Hotel is also used.  Interestingly enough,  I just checked airfare.  Same carrier, same flights were half the price on HAL compared to the carrier's website.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mlh0500 said:

Someone earlier said the New York Hotel is also used.  Interestingly enough,  I just checked airfare.  Same carrier, same flights were half the price on HAL compared to the carrier's website.

What airline if I may ask ?

We are on the Rotterdam for the October Transatlantic. Originally we were going to fly to Zurich two weeks before and work our way North to stay in Den Haag before the cruise. The night before embarking we had planned on the Thon Hotel across the water from the terminal to take a water taxi across. Situations changed and we needed to shorten our trip. Using UAL points we are currently flying into Brussels (cheapest compared to AMS, CDG, FRA, MUN, and now ZRH) then taking a short train ride to Rotterdam. Staying now at the Holiday Inn Rotterdam-Central Station a block from the train station as a base to Amsterdam, Den Haag, and surrounding area. I usually check regularly for flights and have been very lucky a number of times saving money/points.

We're also on the Rotterdam transatlantic this fall. We're flying into AMS with one overnight stay so we can do a couple of tours we haven't done in the past and then making our way down to Rotterdam via the train. We're staying at the Doubletree Rotterdam Centre which is actually down near the water but very close to public transportation. The cost savings from our Doubletree Amsterdam to Doubletree Rotterdam were substantial and we've identified a couple of things we'd like to see in Rotterdam to boot!

57 minutes ago, mark46 said:

Have folks used jetblue? It seems that their 'mint" class is very reasonably priced.

I haven't flown them internationally but I've heard and read reviews that Jetblue's Mint class is quite nice.

On 7/21/2024 at 4:10 PM, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Holland American Hotel rates include transportation to and from. And breakfast.

On 7/21/2024 at 4:10 PM, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Holland American Hotel rates include transportation to and from. And breakfast.

NavyBikerMom:  You said you took a train from Shiphol and then a tram that took you right near the hotel.  Where do you get off the train, and where do you pick up the tram?

Unfortunately, the Hotel New York is sold out for the night before our cruise (July 11- 12, 2025).  Hard to believe this far in advance - so I guess we will try the Nhome hotel.  

26 minutes ago, DaisyRose said:

NavyBikerMom:  You said you took a train from Shiphol and then a tram that took you right near the hotel.  Where do you get off the train, and where do you pick up the tram?

Unfortunately, the Hotel New York is sold out for the night before our cruise (July 11- 12, 2025).  Hard to believe this far in advance - so I guess we will try the Nhome hotel.  

Get off at Centraal Station in Rotterdam and then you can the metro ( subway) , line D or E in the direction Slinge or De Akkers and get off at Wilhelminaplein for the cruise terminal and the aforementioned hotels on the pier. Or the tram line 23 ( Beverwaard ) or 25 ( Carnisselanden ) and get off at Wilhelminaplein as well.

I guess you mean Nhow Hotel instead of Nhome

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, DaisyRose said:

The Hotel New York has not opened it's bookings yet for July 2025. Check back in another month.

We're also on the Rotterdam transatlantic this fall. We're flying into Frankfurt two weeks before to visit Germany and Austria. We'll get to Rotterdam three days before TA cruise and staying at Room Mate Bruno. Plan to visit Hauge and Delft via train. 

Rotjeknor:  Yes, I did mean Nhow, thanks for the correction.  And thanks for the directions from the airport.  We will have our bags with us, so I'm wondering, which transfer might be easier to get to the hotel/pier with bags - metro or tram?  Thanks again for your help.

6 hours ago, DaisyRose said:

Rotjeknor:  Yes, I did mean Nhow, thanks for the correction.  And thanks for the directions from the airport.  We will have our bags with us, so I'm wondering, which transfer might be easier to get to the hotel/pier with bags - metro or tram?  Thanks again for your help.

Your welcome, glad to be of help ! I would take the tram , platforms are level with the trams and when getting off the tram  you are already at street level. The trams have an area reserved for parking wheelchairs or child carriages , you can also put your suitcases there. When on the platform look for the wheelchair sign on the pavement so you can enter the tram  thru the correct doors. To exit  metrostations you’ll either need to us stairs, escalators or elevators , so using the tram is easier imo.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2024 at 11:26 AM, VMax1700 said:

They use Rotterdam Hilton.

We took N.S. out of Rotterdam in May and booked our own stay at the Hilton. Highly recommended. It is very easy to take the tram to the port from there and it's right in town for exploring. About a 10 min. walk from the central train station. 

On 7/23/2024 at 4:27 PM, Heartgrove said:

The Hotel New York has not opened it's bookings yet for July 2025. Check back in another month.

I made a booking for October 2025 last week.

I'm still not quite clear on all of this.  This would be our first European cruise. Norway is on our plans for 2026.

We are planning to arrive in AMS on Sep 17 or 18, 2025.  We plan to stay at a Rotterdam hotel for 2-3 days and depart from Rotterdam on Sept 20th for our cruise.  My wife uses a cane, so no trains or buses. We will need a transfer from the airport to the Rotterdam hotel.  I'm fine getting from the Rotterdam hotel to the ship.

========

Q1) Are their HAL transfers from AMS to Rotterdam, and do they drop off at hotels, or perhaps they go the cruiseport and we need to take a cab from there (that's OK). Are these available several days before we depart?

Q2) I understand that there are also transfers that are part of a hotel package at the Hilton with expected) higher hotel costs. Is that accurate.

Q3) I think that I am fine coming back.  I would expect to take a transfer or tour/transfer from the ship to AMS. How much time should I allow to make sure that we get our flight or should we just stay day at an airport hotel (BTW, would HAL let off at such a hotel?)

Q4) HAL seems to have a TA service that sells airfare and presumably air/transfers/hotel packages. Are the air fares competitive (I presume Delta or JetBlue? Would I still get miles from the airline?  Are the transfers less expensive in a package with airfare?

16 minutes ago, mark46 said:

I'm still not quite clear on all of this.  This would be our first European cruise. Norway is on our plans for 2026.

We are planning to arrive in AMS on Sep 17 or 18, 2025.  We plan to stay at a Rotterdam hotel for 2-3 days and depart from Rotterdam on Sept 20th for our cruise.  My wife uses a cane, so no trains or buses. We will need a transfer from the airport to the Rotterdam hotel.  I'm fine getting from the Rotterdam hotel to the ship.

With your wife needing to move by cane, make certain the hotel has an elevator/elevators. The Hotel New York in Rotterdam, for example, does not have elevators.

18 minutes ago, mark46 said:

========

Q1) Are their HAL transfers from AMS to Rotterdam, and do they drop off at hotels, or perhaps they go the cruiseport and we need to take a cab from there (that's OK). Are these available several days before we depart?

Q2) I understand that there are also transfers that are part of a hotel package at the Hilton with expected) higher hotel costs. Is that accurate.

Q3) I think that I am fine coming back.  I would expect to take a transfer or tour/transfer from the ship to AMS. How much time should I allow to make sure that we get our flight or should we just stay day at an airport hotel (BTW, would HAL let off at such a hotel?)

Q4) HAL seems to have a TA service that sells airfare and presumably air/transfers/hotel packages. Are the air fares competitive (I presume Delta or JetBlue? Would I still get miles from the airline?  Are the transfers less expensive in a package with airfare?

The HAL transfer without hotel is only day of cruise and only airport to terminal

Booking all with HAL is not a bad choice.  I find it convenient. It includes a transfer that meets you at the airport up to 2 days prior, free breakfast and early Checkin.  Finally it also includes transfer from hotel to ship.  For your first trip it would provide a lot of ease 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

With your wife needing to move by cane, make certain the hotel has an elevator/elevators. The Hotel New York in Rotterdam, for example, does not have elevators.

It does have an elevator ok, but it is small and slow and leaves long walks to some rooms which would include a small stairway.

The real problem for someone with walking difficulties is actually accessing the hotel lobby from ground level as the main entrance has a lot of steps.  It is necessary to go round the corner and use the accessible entrance at the hotel restaurant.

Edited by VMax1700

1 hour ago, mark46 said:

If you are booking a hotel by yourself then you will need transport from the airport.  We have used https://www.staxi.nl/en/make-a-reservation/for transport to Rotterdam and from the ship back to Amsterdam Schiphol airport.  You can get a firm price closer to your travel date but for an indication you can get a price now.  Just use approx time and day of week as datapoint.

For return to the airport from Rotterdam they offer both transfers and tours with drop off at the airport.  For tours your flight needs to be after 3.30pm or so.  For transfers flights should be, as far as I recall, after 11 am.  You can use the transfer or tour as transport to an airport hotel as the driver is not concerned about where you go!  There are a couple of hotels within the terminal building (Hilton & Sheraton) and numerous more located around the airport that are considerably cheaper.  You will have to use a hotel shuttle for the off site hotels, but again the shuttle driver is just collecting and dropping and is not concerned about where you have travelled from.

• Thanks 1