Looking for a fun place to stay before a Port Canaveral departure in Dec., flying into MCO

Dani24

We are sailing out of Port Canaveral on 12/29. We fly into MCO on 12/27. We'll have our 12 year old daughter with us, and I'd love to find a hotel with some fun amenities or that's close to something we can do on our day between. We have already done Universal Studios Orlando, the Kennedy Space Station, and the Cape Canaveral National Seashore last December, so I'd prefer new options.

I'm not currently planning on renting a car, but am open to it if it's not a hassle to drop it off at Port Canaveral the morning we depart (we're sailing with Princess). I can get a really cheap rate through work with Avis or Budget, but not sure how good their shuttle services are to the cruise terminal. We'd like to be among the first aboard the ship (we have priority boarding).

I was looking at the Beachside Hotel in Cocoa Beach as an option. It has a lazy river and is across the street from the beach, and we could just have a pool/beach day. Anyone stay here before/after a cruise? Or even in the Cocoa Beach area?

Any other hotels nearby to consider that are a good destination on their own for two nights before our cruise?

I don’t have any particular suggestion, but I am sure the locals there will agree with this. At that time of year you could get a cold snap and it can be rather chilly, and by the same token it can be nice and warm and perfect for a pool day. 

The Coco Key Hotel & Water Park along International Drive has a really nice water park. I'd recommend renting a car at the airport that has a location in Cape Canaveral for your drop-off. You can phone the Cape Canaveral office to verify they have a shuttle to the port. I think they all do. https://www.cocokeyorlando.com/

Volcano Bay water park is adjacent to Universal Studios but is likely to be more expensive than the hotel above. Sea World also has a waterpark called Aquatica the is very popular.

We stay at the Days Inn Wyndham in CB. It's across the street from the beach and the Cocoa Beach Pier. They have a decent pool. Lots of walkable restaurants in the area. We Uber from the airport and then Uber to the pier. We've never been there in December so cannot attest to the weather. 

I'm local to Orlando and I would caution you away from the theme parks that week unless you have a fast pass and then it'll still be a headache. You're going on a cruise with probably a couple beach days so I don't know how many beach days you want, but Coco beach is great that time of year. It's also a great time to go dolphin/manatee watching if you like that sort of stuff and there are many pontoon boat tours that will take you around for that. Also Kayaks if you're adventurous. If you want to stay in Orlando and then take a shuttle/taxi/uber to the port, there are lots of fun things to do that aren't theme parks. Too many really to name. If you stay at one of the Rosen resorts on I-Drive, you'll be within walking distance of dinner theaters, Wonderworks, the Eye, arcades like Arcade Monsters, Dave and Busters, and Main Event, Ripley's Belive it or not, several themed mini golfs,  etc etc. 

On 7/23/2024 at 4:12 PM, noshoobie said:

We stay at the Days Inn Wyndham in CB. It's across the street from the beach and the Cocoa Beach Pier. They have a decent pool. Lots of walkable restaurants in the area. We Uber from the airport and then Uber to the pier. We've never been there in December so cannot attest to the weather. 

Would you mind telling me if you can walk to the Jetty Park to eat from the Days Inn Wyndam?  We would like to watch the ships sail out on Saturday as our ship doesn't leave til Sunday.

Also, about what is the normal cost to Uber from Orlando to the hotel and then from the hotel to the port?

thank you!

9 hours ago, GeorgiaMomof4 said:

Would you mind telling me if you can walk to the Jetty Park to eat from the Days Inn Wyndam?  We would like to watch the ships sail out on Saturday as our ship doesn't leave til Sunday.

Also, about what is the normal cost to Uber from Orlando to the hotel and then from the hotel to the port?

thank you!

Hi. The Jetty Park is about 4 miles from the Days Inn so not walkable. I just looked up my Uber activity and it was $64 without tip from the airport to Days Inn. It was $20 without tip to Port Canaveral from the hotel. Even though it's only 4 miles I think they may price a little higher at that time because they know that there are a lot of people checking out of hotels around 11am and going to the pier.