Will we regret a connecting room

Hello...  just booked on Insignia for this coming Dec.   PH2

Was last one available.....

Broke my rule as it is a connecting room...

Anyone have negative experience with connecting rooms and pass through noise?

Thanks

Here’s the truth of the matter. If your neighbors talks LOUDLY, plays the television on a HIGH volume, slams and bangs doors and drawers, etc., it doesn’t matter what cabin your in. If your neighbor is quiet and makes little disturbance, it matters not which cabin you’re in.

Look at the multitude of posts on the Vista regarding noise issues. It’s 98% dependent upon one’s neighbors.

Personally, I’d take the cabin and hope for the best. Just like in life, you rarely get to choose your neighbors.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Here’s the truth of the matter. If your neighbors talks LOUDLY, plays the television on a HIGH volume, slams and bangs doors and drawers, etc., it doesn’t matter what cabin your in. If your neighbor is quiet and makes little disturbance, it matters not which cabin you’re in.

Look at the multitude of posts on the Vista regarding noise issues. It’s 98% dependent upon one’s neighbors.

Personally, I’d take the cabin and hope for the best. Just like in life, you rarely get to choose your neighbors.

Pretty much exactly as we are looking at it.....    have had noise issues with neighbors in the past and they were not connecting...  thanks for the grounding

Edited by exeter_acres

We always take a few ear plugs just in case. Rarely have had to use them, but those few times we did they are invaluable. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, deck chair said:

Hello!  If you can avoid connecting cabins I would do so.  Trust your instincts.  

Deck Chair.

Curious what specific issues you have had with connecting rooms on Oceania ships.. thanks...

Depends on your neighbour.  Some are considerate and some are not.  In most cases our neighbours have all been considerate.  As mentioned above, if you have a neighbour that puts the TV on loud, you will hear regardless of the cabin you book.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, exeter_acres said:

Curious what specific issues you have had with connecting rooms on Oceania ships.. thanks...

Thanks for the question.  I learned my lesson long ago to never book a connecting cabin on any ship because of high probability of noise transmission.  I have my third Oceania cruise booked departing January 5 Miami to Singapore on the Insignia.  77 days. No way I would book a connecting cabin knowing the potential for bothersome noise. To those who aren't concerned or hard of hearing I say go for it.  Just please don't say you weren't warned.  Be well.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2024 at 9:52 AM, exeter_acres said:

Hello...  just booked on Insignia for this coming Dec.   PH2

Was last one available.....

Broke my rule as it is a connecting room...

Anyone have negative experience with connecting rooms and pass through noise?

Thanks

A connecting room, whether cruise ship or hotel, will always permit more noise transmission - simply due to the lack of a contiguous, insulated wall. I avoid them when possible in order to tilt the odds slightly in my favour.

In the end, your comfort level will ultimately be a function of your neighbour's behaviour and your sensitivity to sound. 🍺🥌

• Like 3

13 hours ago, davencl said:

I've had a connecting PH room on a couple of Oceania ships. Never heard any noise different than normal room. Don't  worry and enjoy your cruise.

That helps!   Thanks...  we shall see...  

I agree with those who have said that a connecting room is by definition noisier.  The space under the door lets in noise that a solid wall does not.  Sometimes putting a towel at the bottom helps, but it does not completely eliminate noise.  So I try to avoid connecting rooms whenever possible.  

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 10:31 AM, pinotlover said:

Not true based on my experience. It also depends on the integrity of the connecting door in terms of proper fit and sound proofing. For example, on one cruise we had with a connecting door we could literally see light coming through the door. Unfortunately, this also meant that we could hear almost everything happening in the next cabin, especially at night.

30 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Not true based on my experience. It also depends on the integrity of the connecting door in terms of proper fit and sound proofing. For example, on one cruise we had with a connecting door we could literally see light coming through the door. Unfortunately, this also meant that we could hear almost everything happening in the next cabin, especially at night.

curious as to which ship this was and what cabin type...   thanks

55 minutes ago, exeter_acres said:

curious as to which ship this was and what cabin type...   thanks

It was a balcony cabin on the QM2 and it happened about 8-10 years ago. Where the light shone through the door, a previous occupant had applied duct tape around the door frame, as we could clearly see the sticky residue left behind. I believe this may be a bigger issue on ships that regularly do ocean crossings where rough weather can be a factor. Needless to say, we’ve never accepted a connecting cabin again on any cruise ahip.

Is there a way to tell if they are connecting?  We are looking at a PH3 on Nautica, but the map on the Oceania page only shows which can accommodate 3 passengers.  

2 minutes ago, Gitmo said:

Is there a way to tell if they are connecting?  We are looking at a PH3 on Nautica, but the map on the Oceania page only shows which can accommodate 3 passengers.  

On the deck plan...  there will be two small parallel lines that denote connecting cabins

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exeter_acres said:

On the deck plan...  there will be two small parallel lines that denote connecting cabins

Thank you !  I can faintly see those, but that should get me what we need.  We have had connecting cabins and it is a real crap shoot.  We will never book a connecting room if we have the choice.  Happy cruising !

• Like 1