The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 27th, 2024

Yum! Grasshoppers-we made them (with ice) when we were 1st married in our new avocado green Osterizer which was a gift from my sister. Haven't had the drink in years but I still use the blender.

I just read the weather forecast for Monday-A steady rain in the morning. Showers continuing in the afternoon. High 67F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch. How can a steady rain and then showers produce only 1/4" of rain? Sheesh!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Dailyites, I have been quiet the last two days.... except for a bit of babbling, but here is what happened.  We had cousins day and we had aunt and uncle day.  I have not seen my cousins in years, more than 55 years, and when we were young we would see each other every few months. They lived on Staten Island, and we lived in central/north Jersey, so not far.  My mom thought they were little hoodlums, and they might have been, but the trouble we got into in my neighborhood was actually due to my behavior.   I couldnt see that until I started thinking about cousins.the other day. I guess I was an angry child.

I loved my aunt, she was always very sweet to me, and even though my uncle was a bit of a creep, I realized in the last few years of his life, and he told me, that he had stalked me to make sure that my parents had not completely destroyed me.  I dont think he even told his wife (my mothers sister) that he had attended things in NJ and Boston, my graduations, my dance recitals, etc.  My parents never came to anything that I did, dance, music, art exhibits, nothing.  So I guess I am grateful in my own way of having had a crazy uncle.  My aunt actually dated my dad first, but Bette always wanted what Ginna had, and went after Dad.  When they married, my aunt left college and moved to Brazil where she met her husband.  My aunt worked at the American consulate.  When they moved back to the US, my aunt was secretary to a Dean at Wagner College.  She always worked and was always a MOM to her kids.  My mom didnt work, and had no time for one of her kids.  I miss Aunt Ginna and Uncle Ed, and if I ever run into my cousins, I will apologize for having been such a weird kid. I did try to find them on the internet, but they may have passed on years ago.

So thank you for all the wonderful tales of family, and for letting me go back in time to face my roll in the relationships.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9

3 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Still wonderful weather here in the Pacific NW.  Some welcome rain coming on Monday.  We just returned from a trip to the business Costco in Fife, about 40 miles and across a toll bridge from us.  Went there last week as Sara wanted to buy some udon that was on sale.  Udon is a noodle dish from Korea.  Last week we were told that the shipment was delayed and would be in the next day.  Didn't think it would be worth the trip just to save about $15., but we went anyway.  Of course we ended up spending $150 there.  I am glad we went, though.

I noticed on my calendar that today was a good friend's birthday.  I had known him since 1961 when we were stationed together in Taipei.  He left the Navy from there, went to college and became a lawyer for a local ocean shipping company.  He was an interesting person.  His grandfather had been the Russian Ambassador to China for the Czar before the communists took over Russia and I remember him going to meet President Chiang's son, Chiang Chin Kuo as he had a Russian wife and he spoke Russian.  Anyway, I saw him last year and he was suffering from a few things including dementia and wasn't easy to talk to.  So I went online and found that he had died last November.  Kind of surprised that his wife hadn't notified us.

Ray

Ray, our condolences on the passing of your friend.  He sounds like an amazing person.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We will have the cats until tomorrow, DD asked for an extension 😂.  Actually they have so much to do upon getting home, and will be returning the RV up this way tomorrow anyway, so I said sure, of course.

So between her naptimes, Smudge has discovered that she loves solving Jigidi puzzles with me. Makes it a little difficult for me, but it's fun watching her chase that mouse and puzzle pieces all over.

SmudgeandJigidi.thumb.jpg.f73d9607d7f4a685b22ae413868e0687.jpg

Carolyn, what a cute picture.  I guess tne puzzle pieces on the computer and the mouse are like the red dot to cats.

Lenda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sitting here in the den, I hear gun fire.  Gotta love this neighborhood  Not.

@rafinmd I am assuming that any surgery would involve putting you under, and that is what they are worried about?  

My prayer is that you can remain out of the hospital for as long as a human can, and that there will be other ways to treat you.

My only pain relief I can take is Aleve.  And I buy the no name brand.

Seems that the sofa is now my bed, as I cannot sleep hot, and DH no longer can sleep with the ceiling fan on.  I am tired, but he is watching a movie, and I have nowhere to sleep.  Well there is the futon in the back bedroom, but the floor is softer than the futon mattress.

Pleasant dreams my friends!

55a08d35f625fb266cb23842f462e9e8.gif

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thought I would mention a few other things about how "different" my late friend was.  He was on a four year enlistment and was an E-5 on Taiwan.  Wages were cheap there and we were encouraged to hire a driver if we could.  Of course, he took it all the way.  He bought a car from a U.S. Embassy employee and kept the embassy license plates it came with.  Had curtains on the windows.  The regulations suggested your driver have a billed cap to recognize him as a driver.  He had his dressed in a Taiwan military uniform.  Imagine a sailor coming to work like that every day.  Not sure what for, but he got reduced to E-4 just before he was to go to Treasure Island to be discharged at the end of his service.  He had bought a lot of furniture there and as an E-5 he could ship it home at Navy expense.  An E-4 had to have over four years service to do that.  So at Treasure Island, awaiting discharge, he managed to get discharged a week late.  They thought they were punishing him, but as a result, he got his household goods shipped home from Taiwan.

Incidentally, I also got busted from E-5 to E-4 while on Taiwan.  But after getting married I got more serious about my Navy career and was promoted to Chief and then Warrant Officer within seven years from then.

Ray

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Wishing you well @Nickelpenny for your GE interview today. Those are always a crapshoot - easy going person or serious interrogation - just never know who you'll get. I'm so boring with nothing to hide, but I was put on a no fly watch list when I accidentally presented my DD mom's ID at airport security one time 🫣

It was so easy!  I had printed out my lease, electric bill, etc.  A very nice border patrol man took my passport, took my fingerprints, took my picture (and nothing else) and then told me after he ran a criminal check on me and all was well, I would be notified if I was approved.  I had an email stating that was the case by time I got home!!  Easy-peasy!! 👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

It was so easy!  I had printed out my lease, electric bill, etc.  A very nice border patrol man took my passport, took my fingerprints, took my picture (and nothing else) and then told me after he ran a criminal check on me and all was well, I would be notified if I was approved.  I had an email stating that was the case by time I got home!!  Easy-peasy!! 👍

oh good. mine went smoothly too. no issues. 😊

it must be that good clean living we do...lol

• Haha 2