Are We Really a Legendary Cruise

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

I know, the ships are different, the ports are different....but how much will you pay for those extra pillow mints, extra lectures and supposed "better" food?  

I wouldn't pay a dime extra for any of the additional perks we got on the Konningsdam 35 night legendary to Tahiti last February.

Obviously, some folks pay a lot more for the "legendary/world" cruise with the extra "perks". In this example, 185% more. Ouch. ..

I would float the hypothesis that very few people (if any) are paying extra for the 'legendary' perks. Instead I propose that the vast majority of people on legendary voyages don't even know it (I didn't until the fancy bag showed up). They book strictly for itinerary.

I could cruise for 5 weeks in the caribbean next February for substantially less than the 5 week Hawaii/Tahiti cruise I'm sailing on. I'm willing to pay more not because it's legendary voyage, but because it visits Tahiti and Hawaii. If there was a non-legendary cruise doing the same itinerary I'd be more than happy booking that. Like you, I'm happy with a 'regular cruise'

I just don't get it....but glad we have choices and hope everyone enjoys their cruise....whether it is labeled legenday/world or regular.....For us, right now, we are fine $$$ with a "regular" cruise......

I hope I shed some light on why some people are booking legendary cruises. It's not for the perks (as they are minimal at best and really don't do much to ring my bell).

I'm all about the itinerary and would be willing to sail on a less than regular voyage too (if it went the places I want to visit).

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Here is a somewhat "apples to apples" comparison of a "legendary/world" cruise vs a regular cruise.....This caused me pause a few weeks back as to why such a difference....

Regular cruise:

4/4/26 27 nights Ft Lauderdale to Rotterdam Balcony $4099 / $152 per day/ per person on Nieuw Statendam....12 ports

World cruise:

4/22/26 25 nights Lisbon to Ft Lauderdale Balcony $10,843 / $434 per day/ per person on Volendam....11 ports 

(I welcome folks to check my math...and the price source was the big, online TA we use)

I know, the ships are different, the ports are different....but how much will you pay for those extra pillow mints, extra lectures and supposed "better" food?  Obviously, some folks pay a lot more for the "legendary/world" cruise with the extra "perks". In this example, 185% more. Ouch. 

I just don't get it....but glad we have choices and hope everyone enjoys their cruise....whether it is labeled legenday/world or regular.....For us, right now, we are fine $$$ with a "regular" cruise......

Not quite an "apples to apples" comparison.

Only Suites have balconies on the Volendam, so if you move up to a Vista Suite on the Nieuw Statendam you will see a respective increase in pricing. 

Agree with you regarding pricing and I think it's great HAL presents an number of different levels of cruises, depending on each persons budget.

Edited by GeorgeCharlie

22 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Regular cruise:

4/4/26 27 nights Ft Lauderdale to Rotterdam Balcony $4099 / $152 per day/ per person on Nieuw Statendam....12 ports

World cruise:

4/22/26 25 nights Lisbon to Ft Lauderdale Balcony $10,843 / $434 per day/ per person on Volendam....11 ports 

Not a surprise. 

On 7/29/2024 at 6:48 PM, tscoffey said:

I wish I was on this cruise, and wouldn't be concerned at all about whether it was considered “Legendary” or “Majestic”, or just a “Vacation”.

I like your take on it. I wish you were on this cruise too.