Coming in to Rome 2 nts before cruise- leave out of Civitavecchia

CRAZLDY

I looked at older posts but some are really old and I know things can change a lot- NEVER been on European cruise

SInce we will have jet lag we are coming in on 22nd for a saling on 25th- leaves out of Civi- should we stay in Civi or somewhere else?

We are staying in Rome for 2-3 nts AFTER cruise as well. ANY suggestions as to hotels in either area that are easy to get around- MUCH appreciated!!!

Are there Ubers? Suggestions there are welcomed too!!! Here is our itinerary and would LOVE any advice on ports etc I am a lil overwhelmed🥰image.thumb.png.029fb03160bb766bd5a92b7f57f875ee.png

Posted (edited)

Please do not waste this wonderful opportunity by staying in Civitavecchia!  Even though you'll be staying in Rome afterwards for a few days, there is so much to see and do in the city that you'll only begin to scratch the surface of what Rome has to offer.

Uber as you understand it, an amateur driver with a personal car, does not exist in Italy.  In the Italian cities where the Uber app functions it acts as a link to a professional transportation company, the type of company varies depending on the contract each city made with Uber.  In Rome you are connected to a professional car service, in Naples it's to a taxi consortium.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

thank you please elaborate where should I stay in Rome how do you suggest I get from Rome to the port how much time should I allow etc. etc. thank you so much and any comments on the ports that I listed would be much appreciated as well

There are many threads about Rome here, and they are very current. First, hotels. There is a very active thread pinned to the top of the page:

Most will stay close to the center of town, but there are some very high quality hotels that may not be in the center. Your budget is important. Your call.

Transport is talked about here daily. Taxis from airport to hotel are probably the best solution. From Rome to the port, you can do better with the many recommended private vendors, or even trains.

• Like 1

The "sweet spot" for a stay in Rome is the area roughly conscribed by Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, and Largo di Torre Argentina.  From this area you can walk to almost all of the key sites in Rome.

image.png.f18de588f23fcf5b145c8e13cd184e94.png

• Like 2

The three most common ways to get to the port from Rome, in no particular order since I don't know which is the most popular, are private car service (the most expensive), shared shuttles, or the train (least expensive).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

The three most common ways to get to the port from Rome, in no particular order since I don't know which is the most popular, are private car service (the most expensive), shared shuttles, or the train (least expensive).

What about flat rate taxi?

Posted (edited)

The fixed fare for a taxi is only from the airport, not from downtown Rome.  I rarely see anyone here talking about taking a taxi to the port from the city, can you remember any?  I'm just reflecting back what I've been reading here for the past decade or so.

There are other options, like the bus, but they are discussed so rarely that I forgot to mention it.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

The fixed fare for a taxi is only from the airport, not from downtown Rome.  I rarely see anyone here talking about taking a taxi to the port from the city, can you remember any?  I'm just reflecting back what I've been reading here for the past decade or so.

There are other options, like the bus, but they are discussed so rarely that I forgot to mention it.

ooops...misread your reply!

• Like 1

If one does want to use a taxi, from a hotel in Rome, it is not a problem but may cost as much or more than a private transfer.  Just ask your hotel's doorman or Concierge to arrange for a taxi and find out the approximate cost from the hotel staff.  Also confirm the cost with the driver, before you get in the taxi.  Some drivers will run the meter and others might be willing to quote a fixed cost (quite common).

Hank

• Like 1

A general rule of thumb in Italy is that a taxi will be more economical within a city or town, but a car service will be more so when going from one city or town to another.  Taxis are primarily local transport.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2024 at 5:15 AM, euro cruiser said:

The fixed fare for a taxi is only from the airport, not from downtown Rome.  I rarely see anyone here talking about taking a taxi to the port from the city, can you remember any?  

We've paid €440,- (excl. tip) for a return day trip from Civitavecchia port to Rome city centre (near Vatican), private Mercedes van last week, just drop off, no tour. In during morning rush hour, out during rush hour too. Both journeys were over an hour.
With a normal Civitavecchia to FCO one way going €130-150-175ish by private Mercedes sedan in my memory it was reasonable priced.

edit: Had to search a bit.. After Covid but with tourism still way down in the summer of 2022 we paid €130 from our Borghese hotel to Civitavecchia port for a private van. Mind you that was the time ships sailed at 1/3 capacity, not comparable to this summer's high season.

Edited by FreestyleNovice
  • Like 1

Yep round trip, did Rome as a port of call and were looking for something worry free with the heat.

I think I too had €350-400 in my mind when I requested the quote. But the booking was just a month out, peak season and up to the morning of Rome we were not sure how many family members would join us for the day. So for the convenience it was worth it. Driver was waiting for us with a cool van when we got back after a hot day, the train can’t beat that plus the hassle and pickpockets.

50 minutes ago, CRAZLDY said:

I think I know where Im going for my next job lol

thx!

You realize that the transport service was essentially booked for the entire day? The car couldn't be booked for much else, for fear of being late for the late day service, and possibly causing the people to miss their ship?

• Like 1