Short port day in Halifax...suggestions please

Derbie

Whatever you do, skip any ship excursion to Peggy’s cove!! Take notice, you have been warned. I wish reviewers before me had been more truthful in their reviews. We were dupped into this snoozefest, long ride and only 15 minutes to look around! Total waste of a great port! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, shiner6 said:

Whatever you do, skip any ship excursion to Peggy’s cove!! Take notice, you have been warned. I wish reviewers before me had been more truthful in their reviews. We were dupped into this snoozefest, long ride and only 15 minutes to look around! Total waste of a great port! 

Thanks.  We grew up in MI and have had the opportunity to see quite a few light houses.  I will pass on this.

On 8/22/2024 at 1:26 PM, patlarry1976 said:

I would say the same as mets 133, the boardwalk are lovely. Hope the shops will be open for you, the Alexander Keith's tour is really good. The maritime museum here has many Titanic artifacts here, and many Titanic passengers are buried at the cemetery here. That would require a bus or taxi ride. The weather might be blustery, so make sure you have warm clothing.

Looking forward to your review on your experience in port.

On 8/29/2024 at 12:21 PM, shiner6 said:

Oh no!  I just booked the Peggy's cove and Titanic cemetery.  Had no idea it was a long ride.  We don't get in until 3pm, sort of figured a cruise ship excursion might be good to get priority getting off ship and try to see as much as can before gets dark.  What do you suggest instead?  I hate to get off and just eat and drink which I could do on the ship (and already paid for).  Oct 18th Halifax 4-11pm is likely sort of cold for a Floridian. 

• Like 1

With your time constraints, I don’t think the excursion is such a bad idea.  We did the same thing but it has been years ago…And I do not remember how long the drive was, but since we are Californians we were there for the  scenery anyway. 
As I recall, the cove and the lighthouse don’t take a lot of time to see, and it was very windy!   We liked seeing the Titanic cemetery.  We’d been to other Titanic museums etc in Europe where the voyage began, so it was an interesting connection, and our guide was full of information.

After the excursion we stopped (on our own) for a lobster roll before returning to the ship. 

This time we are just going to walk around the town and the boardwalk, but I don’t regret doing this excursion.

Enjoy, whatever you decide!

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 7:55 PM, LynnSD said:

With your time constraints, I don’t think the excursion is such a bad idea.  We did the same thing but it has been years ago…And I do not remember how long the drive was, but since we are Californians we were there for the  scenery anyway. 
As I recall, the cove and the lighthouse don’t take a lot of time to see, and it was very windy!   We liked seeing the Titanic cemetery.  We’d been to other Titanic museums etc in Europe where the voyage began, so it was an interesting connection, and our guide was full of information.

After the excursion we stopped (on our own) for a lobster roll before returning to the ship. 

This time we are just going to walk around the town and the boardwalk, but I don’t regret doing this excursion.

Enjoy, whatever you decide!

It sounds like you had a wonderful time.  I appreciate your input.  We did several Titanic visits on a British Isles cruise last year.  Very interesting.

I've done both Peggy's Cove and the cemetery where the Titanic victims are buried, as an independent traveler.  I enjoyed both, but frankly neither required a long visit . . . 30 minutes tops at each.  A previous poster talked about the windy conditions at Peggy's Cove.  This was the way it was the day I was there too (Oct 2015).

I would say make the most of your excursion and enjoy the day!

Peggys Cove 20151005_182012cryb.jpg

We were in Halifax yesterday. For 60 dollars, we had a taxi driver tour us through Halifax for an hour. We stopped at the Citadel, the cemetery, and other photo stops. It was delightful and we did some shopping near the cruiseport afterwards. No prior planning required. 

• Like 2

Is there anyone whose been to the quebec city citadel and halifax citadel? I’m interested in how they compare as i was planning to go to only go to one of them. Also, are you able to walk to the public gardens. How far is it?

On 9/5/2024 at 5:29 AM, unclerich said:

We were in Halifax yesterday. For 60 dollars, we had a taxi driver tour us through Halifax for an hour. We stopped at the Citadel, the cemetery, and other photo stops. It was delightful and we did some shopping near the cruiseport afterwards. No prior planning required. 

Great idea!  We may take this under consideration.  

On 9/6/2024 at 1:04 AM, latebuyer said:

Is there anyone whose been to the quebec city citadel and halifax citadel? I’m interested in how they compare as i was planning to go to only go to one of them. Also, are you able to walk to the public gardens. How far is it?

Quebec City Citadel is more impressive. It would be about a 20 minute walk from Halifax cruise terminal to Public Gardens. It would be a short taxi ride.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 8:54 PM, Ashland said:

Try booking one of the best tours we've ever been on:

https://halifaxtitanictours.ca/

We just returned from Halifax on a cruise and used Paul for our tour, very interesting and informative tour!

Paul was very aware of our time in port and made sure to show us as much as he could and to get us back to the ship in plenty of time!

Instead of Peggy's Cove he took us to Fisherman's Cove, Beautiful, no crowds and cute shopping. We also had a wonderful lunch at Evan's seafood!

Our group was a total of 9 people in a clean, comfortable van

Paul made sure we would be at The Citadel at noon to witness the cannon going off and changing of the guards!

If you are into shopping (I'm not) there is only one spot to shop and that is at Fisherman's Cove which was cute, nice stuff and not crowded!