Solo Fares disappearing

Archipelago

2 hours ago, Archipelago said:

Have the solo cruisers on here noticed that the favorable supplements have all but disappeared ? The site only lists 8 now and many of those not particularly desirable .  

Yes, I was looking the other day and discovered there was literally nothing. Usually there is at least 70 to choose from...very disappointing. Ponant has heaps, I'm spending time looking through them. And also Regent has quite a few that I've been looking at too.

Cheers

Jennifer

• Like 2

I don't know why they do it this way, it doesn't make any sense, but you are referring to the site that lists 25% single supplements. They have another site that lists 27 cruises with 0% supplements, and who knows if there are other sites for other %???

I have a friend from the UK that saw the site with 0% and his travel agent did not even know about that site. I couldn't access that site at all . Yes RSSC has some great fares as does Crystal and Seabourn.  I have one upcoming SS which was a good supp.

I think that SSea has figured out they aren't making (enough) profit on a single, especially with a small supplement. 

Double occupancy with spending on board to match expected revenues. Singles may be relegated to hard to sell cruises as backfill

Good morning, TA's are not allowed on here but there is a  site with the single supplements listed that is allowed (I have seen in recommended many times on the solo forum)......it is called Cruise Plum. I don't know if that is site ya'll are referring to or not but they list many cruise lines with all the supplements listed for certain sailings.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ging466 said:

Yes, I was looking the other day and discovered there was literally nothing. Usually there is at least 70 to choose from...very disappointing. Ponant has heaps, I'm spending time looking through them. And also Regent has quite a few that I've been looking at too.

Cheers

Jennifer

I would take this to mean that Silversea is selling cruises better than Ponant or Regent.

Or, I suppose, maybe they are less aggressive with revenue management.

I would never go Ponant again. Went to Kimberely  last month  ( so solo sup). Ship run on the cheap--bad food, no caviar ( chef said "its because we are in Australia :. I suggested Coles--he said they must get from French suppliers). Expedition crew young Uni students -lovely people  but hardly with experience. No breakfast after 9 am as that time made you a "late riser". The poor girl who served drinks ( clueless about cocktails) could be seen at 7 am doing the cleaning ..Thoroughfare used for all "activities" , useless trivia, garbage smell througout  the cruise( no putting garbage into the sea in the Kimberely), absolutely no point in complaining. Lunch was always a buffet even in restaurante-often only open an hour despite saying open for 1.5.  It was a done and one for me . Chalk it up to experience! Explora here I come...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Elizabethbea said:

I would never go Ponant again. Went to Kimberely  last month  ( so solo sup). Ship run on the cheap--bad food, no caviar ( chef said "its because we are in Australia :. I suggested Coles--he said they must get from French suppliers). Expedition crew young Uni students -lovely people  but hardly with experience. No breakfast after 9 am as that time made you a "late riser". The poor girl who served drinks ( clueless about cocktails) could be seen at 7 am doing the cleaning ..Thoroughfare used for all "activities" , useless trivia, garbage smell througout  the cruise( no putting garbage into the sea in the Kimberely), absolutely no point in complaining. Lunch was always a buffet even in restaurante-often only open an hour despite saying open for 1.5.  It was a done and one for me . Chalk it up to experience! Explora here I come...

Wow, I'm about to do my third Ponant and will be in the Kimberleys next week. I'm hoping for a better experience than what you had. Not interested in caviar but do drink cocktails. I've never had good trivia although last time, my team won nearly every day...there was only 2 teams though🤣

Cheers

Jennifer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, frankhi said:

I did notice that a good many of these zero single supplement cruises are this year.  As the ships are ready to sail and are not full, that’s the perfect opportunity to sell some more cabins.  Just desperate marketing rather than wanting to open opportunities for solo cruisers.

The alternative is to book 18-24 months in advance.  That early there is usually a 25% supplement that disappears when the cruise is within 18 months of departure.  I have just booked 2027 and was charged only a 25% solo supplement.

Edited by Port Power
Checking percentage
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

How did you get to this link, please? From the SS website I can only get the page with 8 cruises, 25% ss, half being expeditions which I don't do.

This link to the 0% single supplements has been floating around since March. What you see here is what's left. Back in March, there were quite a lot available. I booked 2 but then had to cancel them. I expect these to disappear soon too.

Cheers

Jennifer

55 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Yes. Silversea’s 2027 World Cruise.

Well done Carol! One of my US friends has booked it and she told me her's was 50% single supplement.

Cheers

Jennifer

3 minutes ago, ging466 said:

Well done Carol! One of my US friends has booked it and she told me her's was 50% single supplement.

Cheers

Jennifer

I actually booked through my US travel agent.  Even at the current really low exchange rate, I will save a few thousand dollars at the very least, possibly much more by the time of final payment.  Plus US$6,000 OBC.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

I actually booked through my US travel agent.  Even at the current really low exchange rate, I will save a few thousand dollars at the very least, possibly much more by the time of final payment.  Plus US$6,000 OBC.  

Hi, an on board credit of $6000.00????

US dollars??? Never heard of that.....in 20+ years of cruising.

32 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, an on board credit of $6000.00????

US dollars??? Never heard of that.....in 20+ years of cruising.

Really not that surprising to me if TA is sharing some of the generous commission on a full world cruise with single supplement. This would be in addition to the $1000 OBC offered to all participants in the full world cruise. 

Was thinking of 4 segments on that WC . Is there a discount for linking segments and for airfare I guess they would use one way on the first segment and one way return on the final segment . ? Not able to do a full WC days at this time .

Agreed. Looking at the usual spot for 25% supplement there are only 8 cruises!  I’m really bummed I didn’t book something when there was more selection. In the past several years it has usually been more like 40 or 50. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Archipelago said:

Was thinking of 4 segments on that WC . Is there a discount for linking segments and for airfare I guess they would use one way on the first segment and one way return on the final segment . ? Not able to do a full WC days at this time .

When you book back to back cruises (segments), there is a reduction in total price.  It is considered one cruise for the purpose of booking D2D flights.

Was just checking and Regent has 71 voyages on offer for solo travellers many at 25%  ..have always had a great time solo on SS so I hope this is just a glitch in pricing but willing to try Regent 

• Like 2