Updated standby list through April 2025

rj59

The new standby list is out, with Caribbean, Panama Canal, Hawaii, Mexico, and coastal cruises through April 2026. Some very long cruises, but the increase to $99/$129 makes it less of a bargain now, when you consider the stress, uncertainty, and lack of OBC options. After the price increase and going 0 for 4 on Alaska standby attempts this summer, I'm not as excited about the program, but I did book a short r/t Vancouver cruise next April, so I hope that getting to the top of the list might actually get me a spot. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/cruise-deals/standby-program

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just read the FAQ. If I'm understanding this correctly, at two days before sailing, IF you have not been confirmed, you may opt out (and get your money back) OR stay in (with notification as late as 90 minutes!) 

Is that how it's always been? I can get to Boston in 2 days, but not 90 minutes, so I'm tempted to waitlist myself for a fall cruise.

Ay YI YI!!!!!!! 

I just hung up on the stupidest HAL employee I have EVER spoken to. 

I want to sign up for a waitlist for a specific cruise. I know the date, the ship, the port of embarkation. And she's asking me if I want early season or mid season or late season. I said October 5. Then I wait and she asks if I want 6-8 or 14-16. 6 to 8 WHAT???? Days, do I want a crise in the 6-8 day range or 14 or longer. 

I said can't you just look up the specific cruise I want?  No, that isn't how our system works. What the WHAT?????? I can find a cruise faster than that. 

I'll try later. An offshore call center could make more sense than this woman. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I got someone else this time. She could find the cruise I was looking for without doing the long search. Unfortunately, both Canada cruises that I was considering had standby only for inside cabins. It's a great price, but I don't want an inside. I really need daylight. But it was worth exploring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

I don’t get it. Where’s the advantage on this one? 

why not just book it now? 

4CFFB255-704D-4FA7-9F63-9DB55041BF9B.jpeg

HI there! How did you get your mariner society price to show on that sight? (I know which sight it is, just can't figure out how to add in mariner number). TIA

15 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

HI there! How did you get your mariner society price to show on that sight? (I know which sight it is, just can't figure out how to add in mariner number). TIA

I honestly have no idea. I must have at some point got a quote I’m thinking. 🤔

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Interesting that they are sticking with the $99 rate for insides. I wondered if that was only for the Alaska/Canada NE season to cover high port fees. I was wrong. There are a lot of cruises on that list that I could book for much less than that on the website right now. And with free crew appreciation!
No thanks…

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Mine also showed up randomly one day. I think I booked with them in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

Mine also showed up randomly one day. I think I booked with them in the past. 

I've never booked with that site or even asked for a quote but my status with every cruise line I've sailed shows up there.  I use the site to check prices and I've always done better from the cruise line or a TA group rate. Still, it's a good reference point.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2024 at 9:36 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

On your account at VTG, you have to select all the cruise lines you have sailed before, that will give you a past passenger discount, also ticked off all the special discount you are eligible, example Age 55+, military, etc.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cantau said:

On your account at VTG, you have to select all the cruise lines you have sailed before, that will give you a past passenger discount, also ticked off all the special discount you are eligible, example Age 55+, military, etc.

Thanks, I've done that. Twice for good measure. Nothing comes up for past passenger discounts. The other passenger discounts do come up if I click the sailing.