Help with excursion payment method

Mlb4chris

Hi again…. I’d like you all to know I’ve been trying in vain to use the terrible search function and never seem to find the appropriate info! I don’t want to be one of those people that don’t search before they ask a question so apologies….

we’re only taking one excursion on our next cruise (we love to diy sightseeing). While trying to pay on MVJ it is automatically using my TA given OBC for the excursion and not giving me an option to use ACH or credit card, is that the only way it works?  Also, once paid, are excursions non-refundable? I don’t plan to cancel but just wanted to inquire since I couldn’t find that answer either. Thank you so much….  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Excursions are refundable if cancelled 48 hours ahead of time, however there is a 72 hour period before your cruise where MVJ is unavailable. So if your excursion is the first or second full day of your cruise, you must cancel before MVJ closes. All others may also be canceled onboard. 

If you cancel on MVJ, the amount will be refunded based on original payment method. I’ve done it several times as different excursions may become available.

As far as credits, I’ve read there is a particular order the website applies them. I’ll let others address it.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

When you receive OBC, this is used first before needing to pay.  If you choose to cancel within the time frame (it will be printed on your ticket), the money will return to your account as a credit.  It will likely be nonrefundable, so its use it or lose it.  

When you charge things to your account with a credit involved, no refundable credit is used first, refundable credit (like if you had paid for the excursion via ACH or credit card).  At the end of the cruise, if there is any refundable credit left in your account, it will be refunded to you.  If there is no refundable credit still available, you lose it.

This is why we never prepay gratuities.  We have had cruises where we have received nonrefundable OBC during the cruise sufficient to pay our gratuities for the cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

When you receive OBC, this is used first before needing to pay.  If you choose to cancel within the time frame (it will be printed on your ticket), the money will return to your account as a credit.  It will likely be nonrefundable, so its use it or lose it.  

When you charge things to your account with a credit involved, no refundable credit is used first, refundable credit (like if you had paid for the excursion via ACH or credit card).  At the end of the cruise, if there is any refundable credit left in your account, it will be refunded to you.  If there is no refundable credit still available, you lose it.

This is why we never prepay gratuities.  We have had cruises where we have received nonrefundable OBC during the cruise sufficient to pay our gratuities for the cruise.

Ok, that’s what I kinda thought. We planned on using our $400 OBC toward the drink SS package so either way, a credit would work. I just didn’t want to totally loose it if for an unforeseen issue prompting me to cancel the excursion (very doubtful). Thank you so much for a great explanation. I didn’t want to pre-paying anything since I’d much rather pay at the end of the trip. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Mlb4chris said:

Ok, that’s what I kinda thought. We planned on using our $400 OBC toward the drink SS package so either way, a credit would work. I just didn’t want to totally loose it if for an unforeseen issue prompting me to cancel the excursion (very doubtful). Thank you so much for a great explanation. I didn’t want to pre-paying anything since I’d much rather pay at the end of the trip. 

I think you have up to 24h before the tour to cancel for a full refund. The only issue I see is if you embark on Day 1 and your excursion is that night or on Day 2... then you're super pressed to figure out the T&C of the sale. But, if it's Day 3, you should have a good idea if you're feeling the excursion and if you're not, cancel with guest services during embarkation.

Also, from your location, you're in a NA market, so you'll be paying gratuities at $17/person/day. If you cancel the shorex, your gratuities should consume a lot of that amount... Also, TA OBC I believe is (always) refundable, but I don't want to spread fake news here.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, duquephart said:

Research the SS package before just grabbing it.

I have, for us it’s definitely worth it, thank you for the reminder tho

55 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

I think you have up to 24h before the tour to cancel for a full refund. The only issue I see is if you embark on Day 1 and your excursion is that night or on Day 2... then you're super pressed to figure out the T&C of the sale. But, if it's Day 3, you should have a good idea if you're feeling the excursion and if you're not, cancel with guest services during embarkation.

Also, from your location, you're in a NA market, so you'll be paying gratuities at $17/person/day. If you cancel the shorex, your gratuities should consume a lot of that amount... Also, TA OBC I believe is (always) refundable, but I don't want to spread fake news here.

We’ve got plenty of time, it’s not until the 8th day so good there. They’re only $89 each so not the end of the world.  I’ve gone a head and purchased the tour. 

• Like 1

Cancellation for tours is usually 48 hours before, not 24 (printed on your tickets). And I’ve always read that MVJ closes about a week before the cruise, not just 3 days, in order to upload pax info to the ship. Have also read that some have been able to call Viking to cancel early excursions in that timeframe, but YMMV.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 7:42 AM, LindaS272 said:

Cancellation for tours is usually 48 hours before, not 24

I’ve read of people who went to the port talk, learned that tomorrow’s excursion was beyond their capabilities, and the immediately asked the excursion manager for a cancellation- which was granted even though it was far less than 24 hours. 

This is second hand but worth trying. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wine-wine-wine said:

I’ve read of people who went to the port talk, learned that tomorrow’s excursion was beyond their capabilities, and the immediately asked the excursion manager for a cancellation- which was granted even though it was far less than 24 hours. 

This is second hand but worth trying. 

I did this but there was a legitimate concern. We had booked an evening boat ride rated Easy. At the port talk, we found out that the ship was docking at a different port meaning we would need to walk a mile+ each way from the ship to the tour boat negating the Easy rating. Guest services needed an okay before we were granted the refund.

On 8/3/2024 at 9:03 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

however there is a 72 hour period before your cruise where MVJ is unavailable.

MVJ goes into a blackout period a week before boarding. During that period it is in read-only mode and guests cannot use it to make any changes. If you need to cancel a booking for Day 1 or 2, call Viking; if that does work, contact the ship directly. The e-mail address for the ship is in the e-docs received two weeks before departure.

From MVJ/Shore excursions:

Your cruise features one included shore excursion in each port of call. We also offer a range of optional excursions – payment is required to secure your reservation. Shore excursions are subject to change and capacity controlled.  Shipboard Credits will be applied at checkout. Bookings close for changes 7 days prior to the start of your voyage.

On embarkation day, the information for the booking is deleted from our MVJ account. I suggest, at minimum, printing out a calendar summary; you can print to pdf and put it on your phone.

• Like 1